Hooray..Back to the old points system..BUT!!!

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by adelina76, Jun 12, 2002.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

I've watched (WTSN channel is great) this year Japan Open. The ladies doubles was the most exciting (WTSN is women sports channel, so they broadcast only LS, LD and XD) and played in 7x5 format. It was Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Ra KM/Lee KW.

The Koreans won 3-2. They attacked a lot, taking the initiative and going for the shots hard. After the game the Koreans looked tired, but the Chinese girls seemingly still fresh.

I think changing the LD to 3x11 may not be a bad thing after all. Of course the new format has to be tested to see the results. But I believe this change could make the game faster and more attractive to the audiences. Making the game shorter, the ladies teams should be more adventurous to win the rallies rather than trying to wear out the opponents.

2. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Sponsors...

All right, calling all millionaire badminton players..this is your chance! :) Hehe Kwun, maybe we should all become 'smokin monkeys...' *innocent look*

Hmms..how about all of you turn up to Christchurch..err..you can sleep in my living room..air tickets..hmms, peopl did say that swimming is the best form of exercise and warm up..:p

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Re: Sex discrimination?

a. Let me just state my position here before being openly accused of sex discrimination. It has been noted by many people that badminton is a fast game. In general, the games with the fastest shots are perceived by the "average non-badminton player" as most enjoyable. It is easier to understand as well. Therefore, it sounds to reason that the "average viewer" (not player) will be more attracted to the game.

Let me say to you, if the fastest shots are played by the ladies, then of course, allocating a greater proportion of the time to that part of the game is correct. Would that be discrimination? Some men might say so! But no it isn't. It is a course of events that occur because of fact.

Now, for the real world, the men's game is the fastest so a greater proportion of the time is spent on this. Why is it not possible to apply the same logic and then be accused of sex discrimination?

Of course not. It just happens to be a fact. So the fact is the fastest shots are played by the men.

b. if you talk about fairness, my statement is that all games be 5 x9 (I have stated this before). However, the world is frequently unfair and there may be other factors which we don't know of yet. If some people don't fully know, or know but don't appreciate the reasons behind suchdecisions, it stands to reason that a proportion of those people will shout "UNFAIR"! This is not unique to badminton but happens on many commercial and governemt decisions. Not all decisions are correct though....

c. for your point (2), that is one solution. But the priority for IBF might be to increase viewership and sponsorship and thus allocation of time becomes a priority factor. Maybe IBF would rather have Ladies (&mxd) shown in full rather than have edited h'lights.

d. yes, I agree reduction of points may not be obvious but did you consider some of the possible advantages that I mentioned? Should those possible 'advantages' be immediately discounted because a person/group shouts "unfair, it's sex discrimination"!

e. oh yes, it stands to reason that if resources are limited(i.e. viewing time, then we should utilise it to maximum benefit

#23 Cheung, Jun 15, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2002
  4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Finding the right answer to the wrong question

To me, it is symptomatic to how the IBF works (or rather, not works) that they approached this from the wrong angle. The first question should have been: "Do we need a scoring change?", instead of immediately asking "can we accept 5x7 as the new scoring system?". That way, it would have been easier to approach the whole issue of which system to use in a more scientific and empirical fashion...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

6. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    *gasps*

First of all, thanks Cheung for that update..but did you guys read what I read..in case you missed it from the Star's article (which Cheung has kindly provided)..and I quote:

Ohmygosh! So we all should now wear what Serena Williams wear during the recent U S Open? Tight catsuit so that we all can show the spectators what our bodies look like? This is ridiculous! Someone please tell me that I've misread the article somehow!

A

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I'm too was astonished with IBF's two sided approach. On one hand IBF reduces the scoring point for the ladies event but on the other hand they want the viewing audience to see 'more' of the ladies players. It looks to me like the IBF want to promote badminton at the expense of women players. As i have said in my previous posts, IBF don't seem to have a thought out strategy to promote badminton. They seem to react and pick the flavor of the moment type of solution.

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hmmm....what is this? I guessed maybe the IBF gotten the attendance numbers back when Carola Bott played. ;)

This is probably the most sexist statement that I've heard from the IBF.

9. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Another note on the article.

Do you catch the fact that BAofE refuses to play 11x5 for the WD and XD events?

Good for them.

I wondered if complaining to the President (Korn Babbaransi) of IBF would make any difference.

10. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Oops...I meant 11x3.

To further clarify. BAofE events are all 15x3 except the ladies singles which is 11x3 contratory to IBF where 11x3 is used for the WD, XD and WS.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

BAofE also discriminating

What I don't understand is that everybody cheers when going back to the old scoring system.

Why all the cheering. In fact, none of the problems have been solved because the women STILL do not have equal footing. i.e. the women's singles is fewer points.

If people are going to argue reducing the WD and Mxd to 11 are discriminatory, they have to include Women's singles in that package as well.

Therefore, BAofE are still getting it wrong. They should increase the Women's singles to 15 points per game if they want to make a statement.

How come I never ever see people supporting 3 x 15 for the ladies singles?

Just to repeat the question (so everybody gets the right idea:)

How come I never ever see people supporting 3 x 15 for the ladies singles?

BTW, the women's doubles game is better with shorter games for viewing purposes. It is more attacking. Mixed, not seen eoungh to comment.

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Sorry to revive an old thread but with the biggest shop window for badminton upcoming (the WC at Birmingham) we will see how the system performs on the world stage.

Cheung, excellent point regarding the inequlity in womens singles, perhaps the reason for the illogical 11 points is that most women don't want to play more points, in fact at lower levels (county, opens etc in uk) its hard to even find enough womens singles players to run the events, and games are frequently quick and one sided at all levels. If we had 15 pts in ws would we see a different type of womens player prospering , we often see strong women with little movement prospering in england, perhaps never being stretched endurance wise over the short format?

When you go to watch badminton over a day as many will at the worlds, we enjoy the great players but it is the close matches, the see saw matches and comebacks that involve the crowd most, and you simply get more of those in the 15 format. Even for top players playing to 11 or 7, mentally a 5 point gap is likely to mean the game is gone, where as in 15 this is not the case. Look at the number of 11-0, 11-1 games in mixed in recent grand prix events, now i don't have the statistics but i'm sure there weren't so many one sided games under the 15 format.

Also for the WC organisers there is the bonus of the amount of extra merchandise that can be sold while all the crowd are driven out of the arena by the 2 hour, 17-16 16-17 17-16 all chinese womens doubles final (only joking)

:p

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's the Korean women's doubles who like to play 2 hour matches. They did this in 2001 WC Q/f against a chinese pair and 2003 SC s/f against Denmark! the last match was more impressive as it was 11 point games....:confused:

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

5x7 was indeed to short. but then: 5x7=35 while 3x15=45 big difference..
    5x9=45 ..seems good to mee..
    with 3x15 you need to make 30 points to win.
    with 5x9 you need 27 points to win..

good enough for me..

15. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Hmm .. I can commiserate.. Women today at the Pro level are very well conditioned, and in fact I think can even play singles 1 - 15. And speed is not the only source of excitment.. sometimes a very cleverly placed shot or a deceptive shot is also a source for appreciation..

(conspiracy theory mode: Is the ibf pres a s__ist..?? He wants more 'appealing' fashion and now this...LOL!!!)

16. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Hmm -- very good Idea... I could work out something here with the Association of tour o[perators...... lower hotel rates, ariport pickups etc..

17. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I agree 9x5 or 11x5[5 games a match] might make a good scoring.i would like rally point scoring to be tried with that kind of system.

18. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Well ! I don't like changes, grew up with playing 15 point any other scoring systems would seems weird !
    Same goes with Woman, what's wrong with 11 points.

Sexism ?, where do we ( as a society ) draw the line, how about letting woman play in Men events, come on!, let's not make an issues out of nothing.

any golfer out there ?, Men and woman does not Tee off from same place, woman have shorter distances.

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Some mixed thoughts :-D

* I am happy that they don't go to 21 system!

* I am happy that the keep 3x15 for mens singles

* 9x5 could actually be sligthly longer than 3x15 in tight matchen (11-10,11-10,10-11,10-11,10-11) (105pts vs. 17-16,16-17,16-17: 99pts)

* I can't really see a huge problem to explain for new viewers a scoring different for the women's game than for the men. It's not "that" hard to explan that first to 11 wins in the women game and first to 15 in the mens game :)
    On the other hand, I think 3x15 for all disciplines would work as well, so I would say that having the same scoring for all discipliens sounds to be simplest and celanest..

Why not let the women pros vote if they want to keep 3x11 or go to 3x15.. (And as i stated before I think it's better to have completely separete events and for the different disciplines anyway, as most players these days are specialized in a certain discipline anyway!!)

* I agree with previous posts, that it sounds like IBF's angel on things have been quite wrong.. "We shall change the scoring", "How should we change it?".. Instead of asking.. "what do we want to accomplish", "is changing the scoring the best method?".

/Twobeer

20. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well, as a girl I would prefer to play 15 points. 11 points is just too short. Any of you guys tried playing 11 points before? You'll realise that the game is over before it even started! There's no space for 'comebacks', whereas in 15 point games jumping from 2-12 to 12-12 is easier.

I think I may be a bit left behind.. is the 21 point scoring without service really going to be introduced?