Here in Tokyo at Thomas / Uber Cup, 2006

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by GGsally, May 4, 2006.

1. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Going to spain?

BTW Sally, are you planning to go to the World Championship in Spain later this yr??..hehe:rolleyes: ;)
    >>I've never been to Spain so I'm hoping to go of course! But I hope I will be invited.. He he.. will wait and see.

Sally :D

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    that's because you can be a multimillionaire in tennis without actually winning a tournament in your career :eek:

The teams/national teams need money, and no one is going to pay much if their name isn't emblazoned (or stitched or safey pinned) onto the front of the shirts. If the sponsorship money goes towards sending young players to international tournaments, i dont care if the logo is on the back of the shirts as well :D

3. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Going to Vancouver?

BTW when are you planning to come back to our part of the world (Vancouver
    >>are you from Vancouver Mad? Well if you know Peter Lai from VRC, then you can arrange to come with him to GGBC. They are coming for the June 9th to 11th, 2006 UCB / GG Open USBA National ranking tournament in GGBC. You can check out our tournament on www.ggbadminton.com.

Hope you will come! I don't know when I can go to Van, but if I DO, you will SEE me at BADMINTON COURTS!!

4. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

>>well that's exactly why we need to make badminton a household name in the world of sports. Attire is actually important. We need players that dress and look like celebrity stars. Agassi, Sampras, some of the other new guys that have edge, all have so much charisma. Venus, Serena, all the girls now look like models and they dress accordingly and they play GREAT. We need to bring more recognition to the Badminton sport so we may call the shots of where to put peoples advertisements. In my opinion if I were a player of such high caliber, I wouldn't be liked to be used as a "prop" especially a "world class badminton champion player, AKA: BILLBOARD too"

5. thiery

thiery Regular Member

For century, the TC format is group stage at first and then followed by playoff. GGSally, can you suggest to Mr.Punch or whoever sitting on top in IBF to change the system?

Instead of knockout playoff, why not do it in a group stage format, which means the final four teams (eg: Denmark, China, MAS and INA) have to play against each other. The team that collects the most points will emerge as the winner. I believe this is more interesting and the fairest way to determine a winner. Sometimes a champion, say China can beat Denmark in the final but they might not be able to win over MAS.

As we can see, Denmark had a tougher opponent that China in the semi-final. This somehow is unfair to the players, isn't it? China take advantage of the tired Danish players who struggled against the MAS earlier on. Well, this is just my suggestion. This method can also boost up ticket sales by at least three times as they are more exciting matches.

6. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Hi Sally

Hi Sally, will you be playing in the GGBC tournament? 35+ seniors mixed doubles event?

7. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Playing in UCB / GG Tourney 35+

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

I WILL BE ABSOLUTELY!! WOULDN'T MISS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR ANYTHING!! I MIGHT BE OUT IN 2 MINUTES BUT I'M PLAYING DOUBLES WITH A VERY GOOD PLAYER ZHANG RU, AND THEN I WILL TRY TO FIND A MIXED DOUBLES PARTNER. DON'T KNOW IF I CAN LAST 2 ENTRIES THOUGH. I WANTED TO PLAY WITH MIKE, BUT HE'S TOO YOUNG :crying: !!!! I NEED 35+ ( I WISH THERE WAS 40+, GIVE ME BETTER EDGE.. BUT :( . SO I WILL HOPE TO FIND ANOTHER "SENIOR" TO PLAY WITH. HA HA.. ARE YOU PLAYING?? I HOPE YOU DO!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TOURNAMENT AND TO MEET ALL THE PLAYERS ACROSS THE NATION AND CANADA!!

SEE YOU THERE!

SALLY

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think this is fairer, but doesn't make good TV interest. I cannot think of any major Cup finals decided in this manner. There may be some obscure and uninteresting tournaments which I cannot even think of that might exist.

Sally, thanks for replying to my questions.

9. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Hi Sally,
    Are you still looking for a partner for the 35+Senior?
    If you need a partner, I'd be happy to play with you.
    You don't need to play in the 40+, we can probably win the 35+ easily.
    PM me and I'll give you more info.
    Maybe we can be the first BC Senors Mixed Double Champion.

How old is Mike?

#49 Viper2005, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  10. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Wow, I wish I live in the US. Then I can offer to partner Sally in the tournament. Anyway, all the best to both of you, Sally and Viper. In case both of you ended up playing doubles, don't forget to wear the BC T-shirt...definitely going to look Cool. :D Most importantly, don't forget to take some photos and post here.

11. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Zhang Ru, that name sounds familiar, is her english name Jessica Zhang?
    Did she partner with Lili Zhou in the Boston Open? If yes, then she is really a good player.

Are you playing with her in the regular women doubles or the senior 35+ women doubles?

12. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

My Partner in UCB / GG Open Tournament

I will be playing mixed doubles now because the rules are you cannot play the same flight in 2 different categories. Zhang Ru already has a partner in doubles for the Open so she cannot play doubles with me again in the Senior. I will now be playing with our own GGBC Guo Jinsong for the Senior Mixed Doubles. He is only playing doubles in the open so he can play mixed doubles in the Senior with me. Mike arranged it. Poor Jinsong, bless his poor soul. To be stuck with an "antique" is going to be hard for him. Mike wanted me to have someone to practice with before the tourny, cos he thinks I'm PRETTY BAD!! :crying: so I will have to practice ALOT!! WISH ME LUCK and Thank you for all the offers to be my partner! I can't wait to meet all of you here in GGBC VERY VERY SOON!!

Regards, Sally :D

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Sally's pics...

here are the pics Sally took when she was in Tokyo for the TC/UC... i am jealous!

and thanks so much Sally for the pictures!!

Attached Files:

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    dang, i will be lying if i tell you i am not jealous. a picture with the whole Chinese ladies team!

[​IMG]

15. twinshk

twinshk Regular Member

Wow :eek: , I didn't realize that Sally is Sally 葉倩文 :D .

I'm a big fan of hers !!!

16. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Sally is still so beautiful despite in her 40's.

17. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Very nice pictures, makes me envious. :)

18. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Man, me 2 :) Must have been a great expierence Sally.
    All the best to you!

J

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sally,

Isn't this a HK photographer?

Attached Files:

#59 Cheung, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  20. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

she looks indeed decade younger.
    my mom and sis will be extremely happy if i can take a picture of her with me and send back to them. :) :) :)