Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Didn’t have the bests day as far as form went. I regressed a little on some shots and on others the shots felt and looked better without me thinking about it much
    Here’s my practice/ warmup shots ( I didnt get too many )

#261 Mason, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Good progress. The way to complete transferring the kinetic chain is that you need to start from the bottom up. Most of the shot you complete while your leg and hip were still behind and you already hit the shuttler. You need to be in ready position, push your hip forward then throw your shoulder then hit the shuttler in this order you will create a good amount of power out of the shot. Take a minute look at this video. He explained it well

PS. your non racket arm need to be more neutral, now it is like you point it up because people tell you to use it to point at the bird , but there is more usage you can get out of the non racket arm.

Keep it up!!!

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I have watched this video many many times. It was recommended to me to get my swing and starting position/grip properly down first and then move on to other things.

Because I do not have a coach I have to work on one small thing at once.

The hip movement continues to be a problem for me :( I’ll try though to work on it if possible

4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Clear motion and smash motion looks good - keep it up.

Drop shots you have a big habit of shortening your stroke because you know it's going to be a drop. Against better players, they will see that you aren't using a full ''wind up"/preparation and will anticipate your shot by moving forward before you've even hit the shuttle.

Just watch your drop shot strokes - do you think after the tiny preparation that you'd have enough power in your fingers alone to play a good full length clear?

Try to use the same motion for clearing and smashing for your drops, and simply slow the racquet down or swing slower before you actually contact the shuttle, rather than shorten the preparation itself.

(Btw, I'm guilty of this too, it's something I'm working on!)

Mason likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is a good suggestion, thank you
    I wish the people at the club were as helpful as everyone here

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My smashes drops and clears from last yesterday. My goal is to practice 500 shots today in my garage to reinforce better habits

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Your warm up shots are better than your match shots. In your warm up video, you immediately bring the racquet up. In your match shots, when you have to move and hit the overhead, your racquet drops down and to the right before you bring it up. This big motion will slow down your action.

I see it’s a bit difficult to change the face of the racquet on preparation. It’s still too face on to the net. That’s a common problem.

How did the jumping slightly when hiting the shuttle feel in practice? I think it’s going to be difficult to put it into practice because you haven’t been able to twist the hip first.

Mason likes this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I wasn’t thinking about it at al during the games and it’s apparently not a good habit yet

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

On my one practice jump smash it felt good to me. My accuracy was way off though

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I hit my goal of 500+ practice swings in my garage over the course of the day

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I couldn’t find a good teaching video that really concentrated on building the lower body technique. There is one but it’s an obscure japanese one which I can’t find now. Most videos concentrate on the arm technique.

I think the practice swings are pretty satisfactory but I think you can emphasize the hip twist a bit more and then switch the leg position. Bring the left leg back and then step slightly forward with the right leg.

Then try this exercise slowly and gradually build up a little speed.

*Edit

Found a couple of kids training videos which should help build up the intermediate steps. Wish I had known this for my kids.

#271 Cheung, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you! So when I practice some hip movements with my swing I feel like I’m doing what you’re saying but when I watch the video back I clearly am not
    I just can’t seem to understand what I’m doing wrong ....

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Probably not activating core muscles.

What’s your previous sports experience?

Ever done the following...:
    Quarterback throwing a ball?
    Pitcher in baseball?
    Boxing throwing a punch?

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I didn’t really do any of those
    Played a lot of football but mostly as wide receiver or running back and I also played a lot of basketball. I was never a good thrower... :(

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Ok. It’s quite a subtle thing and you won’t find many coaching videos that emphasize it.

Try those Kids exercises to help switch the legs. Stand on right leg then hop on to left then place right foot down slightly in front.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Do you have an example of this kid exercise ? Is it the one where the kids are throwing a bird ?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

This most recent video is already a good improvement from previous. There is a little racket hip turn with your racket foot ending up on the toe tip at the end of the stroke... which is a good sign of hip and trunk rotation.

Now you just need to start that hip and trunk from further back and bring it forward to almost level with your left hip when you finish your stroke.

Another thing is your wind up preparation is too stiff and static. In reality, you should pull your right shoulder and right hip back in wind up, and then **without pausing**, immediately go into the forward motion to get proper activation of all your muscles and whipping action.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It’s the ones I linked a couple of hours ago a few posts before this one

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Any chance that you could elaborate on this point ?

“Now you just need to start that hip and trunk from further back and bring it forward to almost level with your left hip when you finish your stroke”

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you !!