Help with buying Ti-7 or MP77!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by GregorPI, Feb 18, 2002.

1. GregorPI

GregorPI Guest

I'm of for a new racquet. What I own now is an older (cca. 10 years) VICTOR advantage (100% graphite body). I find it a bit heavy. Last week I tried to play with a Yonex ISO 97VF Light (my girlfriend bought it) and boy it is light. The only problem I had is the lack of power (it's not head heavy). I had to hit harder but the control was cool. I could really direct the shuttle the way I never did before.

I'm not a pro player but still came to think that racquet does make a difference, so I decided to buy a new one. I'm looking at Ti-7 and MP77. I don't want extra stiff racquet (yet) so there's no need for MP100 or Ti-10.

What are the main differences between MP77 and Ti-7? Power, control, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gregor

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

G'day Gregor,

You will find that Ti-7 a more manuverable racket than MP77 because it is less head heavy. Ti-7 has a larger sweet spot than MP77 and is a pleasant racket for all round use, especially for doubles. And it is easier to adapt to than MP77.

If you are a heavy hitter with strong wrist, you will probably find MP77 a better choice as its head heavy design aid in power shots. In terms of outright power, MP77 is superior, overhead clears, flat drives and smashes are faster and more powerful than Ti-7. Downside is it takes longer to get use to than most other rackets, due to its head heavy design, with very stiff shaft and longer racket length.

Both are great rackets and the final choice boils down to your style of play. I however recommend you try a MP55/77/100 range before you buy one as it is a harder racket to adapt to. It took me 4 month to get used to my MP77 after 2 years of using Carbonex 21.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hmm, i've had a Ti-7 for about 1 year+. So far i found this racket to be nice and powerful, ok in control and good value for money. But i find the MP77 to be a better choice, IMO bigger sweetspot, more powerful, more feel and to me i find that its more stable. Others will disagree. But if you ask me, i would chose the MP77 over the Ti-7.

The MP77 IMO is comparable to the Ti-10. But to me the MP100 is a flop for my style of play. I like the control that i get from it, but i don't like the extreme lack of feel.

4. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Regular Member

Management consultant
    Greg:

I went through the exact exercise that you are facing ie. Ti-7 vs MP-77. I ended in buying the Ti Swing Power SS with BG-80 at 24 lbs. The Ti SP gives you all the advantages that the other two are missing. SP has four rackets that you should be able to find one to match your style of playing. I like it a lot now that I have used it for 4+ months.

It is more money but if you consider using the racket over say 5 years as in you case, the difference is nothing.

Good luck!

5. JOE

JOE Guest

yea i know! including myself, i always see many racket buyers comparing these two rackets as a final choice when shopping for one... hm.... wonder why

in my case i got the MP77 instead and i got used to right at my second session of playing!! :D amazing power and control!!! but i have yet to try a ti-7 ....

6. GregorPI

GregorPI Guest

Well,

I bought the Ti-7 (as I thought I would). I played with it yesterday for the first time (BG 80 at 9kg/20lbs) and must say, that I had problems in my first set (15pt). I bought the U2/G3 model, which is more head heavy (though it says head light). It is a different type of racquet than the ISO 97VF (U3/G3) or my old Victor Advantage. More offensive I'd say.

I had to really put effort in 'reacting quickly' at incoming smashes and I felt 'slow'. But after I got a grip on it, it went better. In my opinion, this is quite powerful racquet, and if I got the smash right, they really were strong.

Control wise... I must work on it. The shuttle just isn't going the way I want to. Well, I guess I have to get used to it. Maybe I'll share my opinion again in a few weeks.

Thanks for help,
    Gregor