Hats off to Lee Hyun Il

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by malaysiangirl, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I have seen many disputes about "out or in" in amateur matches. One side claims it's "clearly out", the other "clearly in". Do you think one of them is deliberately lying?

I don't think so.

Back to LHI. A line judge can concentrate on whether the birdie is out or in, but a player must not. After LHI hit the smash, his concentration should be on his opponent, that is LD, instead of where the birdie would land. Of course he has a sense whether the shot is out or in, but it's kind of subconscious. Furthermore, even if he concentrate on the birdie, there is no way LHI can tell where the birdie first touched the ground from his angle. His view should be blocked by the feathers.

A few more words. Next time when you are a line judge, try watch the game at the same time. You will find it is really hard to be sure about your calls.

#81 ye333, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Take a bad call in your favour since this is KO08 Open cos' next time, the bad call will be against you in CO08 Open, that seems logical.
    I have not seen any players reversing bad calls in a championship game, esp with the score so close at duece. There is too much at stack in a championship match.
    Baddy has become a game of win at all costs. Nowadays, even game fixing is entered into strategic planning, so why not bad calls, name calling (break legs) to mentally affect your opponents.
    I recall LCW did reverse a bad call as you said, but that game is not a championship match and I cannot recall LCW was trailing at all in that game.
    Sad as it is, baddy creates more excitement and news worthy in this LD-LM incidence that the great game itself.

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The first paragraph does not hold true at all... In one recreational tournament I played at(no umpire or line judge), my short serve landed very close to the service line, and the opponent let it land... then he hesitated for about 3 to 5 seconds starring at the shuttle and the line, then he called it "out"... I was like thinking "yeah, right... jerk". If it was short, why did you even need to think... once you think and hesitate, you lose all of your creditability when you make a call against your opponent.

A lot of amateur players do just called shots "out" when they are clearly on the line, just so they don't feel dumb for leaving it... I just came back from playing badminton this morning, and it happened at 4-5 times in a 3 hours session. And YES, I do think they sometimes lie intentionally.

#83 bananakid, Jan 27, 2008
  4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Man, don't make me throw the racket at you :D
    Imagine, we are not even playing the match yet are fighting and arguing for this, you think those players involved will be calmer than us? LHI and Lin Dan did not get into verbal auguement is a blessing to me.

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You are actually proving my point. You didn't dispute because you choose not to, but you definitely believe your shot is in. So you and your opponent hold opposite opinions. :cool:

However, I don't think your opponent was lying. I have such experience before. I guess he was very much sure your serve would be short before it landed. However it turned out to be very close. So close that it was not clearly in, but he could not be sure that it was out either. Thus he needed to think twice.

Btw, I was talking about my personal experience. I am not claiming universal truth. What makes you think you can judge whether I was lying (about my personal experience) or not? :mad:

6. sepang

sepang Regular Member

After all, it is all BWF fault. May be BWF wanna see badminton game like hockey game in US...create some violate, some drama and some controversies to draw fan attention and draw highlight of the tournament.

Better ruling, better tools in used will make everyone happy..isn't it? You could throw 300K for tournament but could not buy high tech gears that can be used again and again.....

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    There is so many bad calls against LHI during the game, did LD even react to A SINGLE CALL and try to overturn the umpire's decision?
    Because of one Line Call which against LD & he is showing his anger Korea Coach then ppl start questioning LHI sportsmanship. What is this?
    Players duty = play their game
    Umpire/Linesman = make the judgement
    If the umpire listened to every single protect and overrule linesman decision, what is the point of having the judges sitting in every corner?

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Mind explain a bit more?

9. sepang

sepang Regular Member

"There is so many bad calls against LHI during the game,"
    Umpire reversed the call and gave the point to LD. Should it be "bad call" or "call correction"? It is all up to you.

10. narnia

narnia Regular Member

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I believe that BWF will send 10 linesmen outisde from China...( there is article in BWF's website to ask people to mapply for linesmen...)
    For umpire, there will be from 2 from china only and the rest are from USA, ASia, Europe, Ocenia...
    I think BWF may send m ore because of this KO's event.....

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You're pretty naive, aren't you? This is a professional circuit where they play for money, and a final to boot. LHI was right to cite "it's the line judge's call". You might see some charity in the earlier rounds and during lopsided matches.

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design

If it is close like 1 inch or 2 inches, unless unpire saw it clearly, otherwise it is hard for umpire to correct the calls....I had been told by INA XD that several close calls were in favour to KOR...even coaches know that if it is too close ( even it is out a bit), mostly umpire could not rule it, unless, the shuttle lands on umpire's side......

We have witnessed it already, even by mile, It was in, let alone few inches...

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

15. sepang

sepang Regular Member

16. morphy

morphy Regular Member

My point is he isn't mr.sportsmanship like all the LD haters like to claim he is that's all. :p Like you say, he is just another pro playing for the $$...to hell with fair play. Seems his fellow countrymen line judges are on the same school of thought.

#96 morphy, Jan 27, 2008
  17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Any player could make a case for any bad call made against him. And in many instances, these calls have nothing to do with home country bias. We just don't hear about them, maybe because they involve lesser players, or because there are so many matches, not every one is reported. My point is that for every "homer" call, there are many others that aren't so. We just get fixated on the controversial ones.

18. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Are you suggesting that there could be controversial calls made that favor LD? Maybe so but I wasn't there at courtside to know. I can just go by the umpire's rulings.

And if that were the case why weren't any of those overuled by the umpire?
    Is it coincidence or just plain incompetence that every controversial call that was made that was overuled by the umpire (who is a foreigner) went in LD's favor? Doesn't that suggest that all the controversial calls were 'homer calls'? Where are the "other calls that aren't homer calls"?

That's not incompetence or coincidence, that's just blatant bias judging on the part of the linesmen.

19. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I cannot agree more. I am not bias to the Chinese team, but their players are under much higher pressure to do well than the other countries' players. I think at least 1/3 to half of their winning money goes back to the team and country. So, you can see how the Chinese team would react when their players do not do well in matches. The fact is they, the Chinese badminton team is still having this old 'communist' mentorship system, like the old USSR olympic team. The idea is, your success and fame is brought to your only by your country, and they brought you up from nobody to a superstar, so you have to win to pay them back. So you know the idea. If you don't do well, they will just kick you back to your local county (province/state) teams. As simple as that. And yes, they are playing for the money, but that is not just for themselves, imagine how LYB would treat them if one loses in the final and only gets half of the winning money.

As far as I know, players in other countries are treated more 'liberal' and 'human', and as 'professionals'. The Chinese team play as a collective instead of individual, that is why they have the so call 'match fixing' thing. Thanks to LYB, this will go on forever in the Chinese team. Sad.

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think you missed my point, but in general I think we're arguing for the same point. I was talking about matches in general, and not just the LD/LHI one. What I'm trying to say is that there are many matches involving players not from the home nation and there are controversial calls too in these matches. You cannot attribute these calls to home country bias but rather to missed line calls. We only see the one featuring the stars because it's generally their matches that are covered.

As far as the LD/LHI match goes, I don't deny there's suspicion of homer line calling. The KO gained it's rep from last year's edition so why would this year be different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.