has anybody ever seen a player injure their wrist?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ralphz, Jul 29, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

has anybody ever seen a player injure their wrist?

I hear a lot of fear-mongering that if a player uses their wrist when they shouldn't then they could injure it. And I suppose they mean bending it forwards.

Have you ever seen a player go off the court clutching their wrist unable to play?

If I think about what injuries i've seen. It's ankle, leg, shoulder, elbow(if they over-extend), (and hear horror stories re eye - understandable)

I haven't seen wrist!

I have seen a player at times when maybe midcourt if the shuttle was very high and they're trying to get it down, then maybe using the bend the wrist forward party neutral method, and maybe their wrist got a bit tired and they didn't keep at it. And they don't really keep at it if their wrist were a bit sore they'd often just hit it high or flat instead.

I've seen people with a sore shoulder that say they can't clear or smash. (technically one can clear without the shoulder but obviously some don't have the technique to)..

I've never seen anybody(supposing eg they have poor technique), say their wrist is sore so they can't play particular shots.. Or if it was then somebody would just say "oh well you shouldn't be bending the wrist forward past neutral for those shots" and then they'd be fine. And then they wouldn't want to bend their wrist forward past neutral anyway as soon as they realise they aren't meant to or don't have to!

it seems somebody might have mild soreness at most. (and then not do it anymore). IF somebodys wrist was sore and they are using their wrist to hit it, they'd hardly get the shuttle going anywhere.. It's not like with the shoulder where somebody can swing hard with poor form and a bad shoulder and then hold their shoulder in pain. I've just never seen that happen to anybody with the wrist.

So I question the talk of wrist injury claims re regularity and severity.. I've seen and heard players speak of various injuries they have, but nobody ever mentioned that one!

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Have you ever watched professional badminton in the last years and noticed how many players have kinisiotape or some other taping around the wrist? If impossible to injure, they wouldn't wear it.

Just a small selection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

poor technique right?

[​IMG]

#2 ucantseeme, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Ballschubser and visor like this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It is interesting that you point out that they wear those things now. I know somebody that plays at a high level and will ask them about it when I next see them.

So you think they wear that to prevent injury to their wrists, ok,, could be.

It may be more for forearm than wrist. though they put it on the end of the forearm adjacent to the wrist joint.

If you think about how the wrist is supported, look up wrist support, and you see things covering part of the hand and part of the end of the forearm, perhaps so as to prevent the wrist from bending far forwards. Of course that's not what they are wearing.

It's Interesting

Doesn't really answer my question of whether you've seen players injure their wrists.

Are you suggesting that professionals were injuring their wrists before they put those on?

I have seen video compilations of injuries that happen to pro badminton players and I haven't seen the wrist.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Never seen wrist injury.
    Injury normally come from wrong technique or excesive stress on our body.
    The only wrist sore i ever got is when i use wrist bend to smash hard rather than forearm rotation & thats long ago.
    & the uncommon injury i ever see are shoulder dislocate & thats due to totally wrong technique combine with strong arm + repetitive bad stroke technique.

ralphz likes this.
  5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think it is a beginner injury. When I tested out some ways to get the shuttle back from a deep forhand backcourt corner, I sometimes accidentically use my wrist (fold down , right word ?) instead of pronation and it really hurts when using some power. Luckily beginners dont know how to generate a lot of power , but I could imaging, that a smash with lot of power will hurt your wrist if you use the wrong technique.

A common injury in sports is a muscle strain. The special about a strain is, that it does not hurt immediatly but the pain will grow over the next few days until it goes away (~1 week). It does not always need to be a muscle fiber tear which hurts immediatly.

All the other injuries you mentioned are injuries you can get even when using the right technique. Sometimes you are tired, slips or a small muscle get strained.

LenaicM likes this.
  6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Asking just a single person is always a good source to get a global impression of injuries.

What do you think? Sponsor run out of sweatbands? It's a cool accessoir? To be more precise the taping prevent from to much extension and flexing. It is used for a bunch of wrist injuries. I wore it because of TFCC pain.

There are a bunch of different taping techniques even for the same joint. The wrist is very complex. much more complex than a knee or angle. So they are tons of different injuries. Just google wrist anatomy and you will find out how many bones, ligaments and tendons and nerves run there. Each one can be injured. Arthrosis and inflammations are just a small part of them. And since you use a grapping of a handle it's pretty logic that the wrist can be injured. Same like working at a computer.

Question is answered. Pro players were wrist braces no because of nothing. I personally suffered from TFCC pain (came from a dive in badminton) and I had problems with my ulnar nerve (my bones are built quit tight there to cause an impigement of this nerve). The pain came weeks later. I know a person who had struggle in badminton due a tendonitis (carpal tunnel) and went for a surgery. These cases are sneaky and don't happen within seconds.

I don't know them personally so I don't know if they had an injury or wear it to prevent an injury. No matter what, there must be a connection between badminton and injuries of the wrist and this is not related to bad technique and exclusive a beginner problem.

Ever thought that a tendonitis or athrosis don't come from zero to now? What type of injury are you thinking bout? There are tons of possible injuries in the wrist. Maybe these injuried players never wlaked on court, because wrist problems are seldom acut, they are mostly chronic. I recommend to ask a doctor or physio about racketsports and wrist injuries instead of a player. IMO we use the hands so often in our daily life, it's hard to seperate if they are caused by badminton or something else, but the chance to get problems during load are high.

speCulatius, Ballschubser and visor like this.
  7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I didn't say it was. You mentioned pro players wearing tape at the end of the forearm at the wrist. . I don't how many players you know , speak to quite a bit, and see with any regularity, that play in professional international tournaments, but I only know one such person, and I said I will ask him about the tape.e.g. if they have seen it among others they've played with on court. And that is one line of enquiry and asking about if they have seen others wearing tape. Not something one would use to conclude a "global impression of injuries". You are really going hard with the strawmanning.

And re asking about wrist injuries, bear in mind also that I have also asked here. So that's not "asking a simple person" . And i'm considering conversations that i've had with people over the years when they've had injuries.

And I have not made some kind of firm conclusion that nobody injures their wrist, but i'm asking some questions.

No. See what I said. I said Could be to prevent injury to their wrists.

You seem to assume it has to be the wrist it can't be anything else.

If you are asking what other possibilities are there, well, perhaps it's for their forearms. It's on the end of the forearm. Perhaps, as a google about kinesiology tape has it " to aid in faster muscle recovery" (and of course, what muscles, could be the forearm).

I do recall now once speaking to a player that didn't wear tape like that, but wore a support that covered part of their hand, and that helped their wrist, which they injured not from badminton but from falling in the street/road. A support like that would clearly be for the wrist. That clearly supported the wrist in relation to flexion and extension - actual wrist movements, wrist bending.

So this is more useful information, you've worn taping like that around the wrist. And you say you wore it specifically for wrist pain, TFCC pain. That said, you do mention that your wrist injury "came from a dive in badminton"

So I suppose you landed on your wrist. Maybe some of the pro players wear tape for that reason, injuring their wrist by landing on it.

ok. I don't doubt there are all kinds of wrist injuries. A person could even break their wrist, by landing on it or something landing on it.

And I will grant you that you could injure your wrist on a badminton court, if you dive and land on it..

Wrist related issues related to usage of keyboard and mouse are far more well known and well studied. And there are postures to know not to do like not to type while palms are resting on keyboard, because doing that for a while, can cause or contribute to RSI. And I reckon so long as people don't do that, and they don't have an existing injury, they may be fine. issues related to computer use eg typing and correct posture, http://www.rsi.deas.harvard.edu/preventing.html are pretty well known.

You can't compare well known typing related wrist issues, with [the famous] grabbing the racket wrist issues.

When I coach teaches to squeeze the racket, I haven't heard them say "now be careful about possibly wrist injury here".

Whereas secretaries who learnt typing,e.g. in the 90s, would be told in an opening chapter about wrist posture when typing. Ditto harvard as per that link

I have known somebody who had some weakness doing that, but like you , he landed on his wrist (though not on a badminton court). He didn't get injured by squeezing his racket handle.

Of course, but if you google wrist braces you get

[​IMG]

And yeah they protect the wrist.

But the pro players you show are wearing tape that doesn't cover as much as the above, and it doesn't look like tape is thought that you show the pro players wearing, is thought of as a wrist brace

You seem to be perhaps suggesting that for your TFCC pain it was the wrist and you just wore tape. OK..

okay, in some attempt to look into this, we have two people..with a wrist issue, guy I know that injured his wrist when he fell on it in the street/road, and wore a wrist brace(not just tape). And there's you that injured your wrist falling on it from a dive, and wore tape rather like the pro players use.

There's no question that badminton wrist movements could exasperate an existing injury caused eg by landing on the wrist.

Sure anybody with an existing injury like falling in the street.. hurting your wrist, then even a slight movement court hurt it and it may need some support, so there'd be a connection there.

And there's no question that if you land on your wrist from a dive in badminton then that also..

But if you aren't coming in with an injury, then I can't see squeezing the handle or "grabbing the handle" as causing injury. (and no that's not a conclusion that it doesn't)

I did once have one issue that made it hard to grip the racket.. but there were a bunch of major contributing factors.. A)An exercise I tried at the gym doing an overarm badminton like movement with a weight, which may have worn out my forearm a bit.. then B)testing a high tension racket and somebody only had a tube of plastic shuttles(Then I felt my forearm take a hit).. C)playing a bunch of games(in a good club, feather shuttles). At "C" the racket flew out of my hand when I just tried a regular shot that i'd normally play. The cause was "A" or "B" or both.. probably both. Not C(normal badminton), though it was most visible to anybody that saw it, at "C"..

Any. I'm saying I didn't see any. (that's not to say there aren't any. Just that I didn't see any in one or two video compilations i've seen. (And that's not to say there aren't more video compilations that may show one, and that doesn't mean I have only looked at video compilations. And that doesn't mean i'm making a firm conclusion one way or another).

Well, if I get to ask a pysio i'll ask them. But I rarely see one.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Oh boy. I know it is the wrist. You make assumptions it's the forearm. Discussion for nothing like everytime with you. You are difficult as always.

I think if you are interested in a topic, you should do you homework first.

#8 ucantseeme, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    speCulatius, Ballschubser and ralphz like this.
  9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Thanks, that is good stuff. I didn't assume it was for forearm, I just questioned. Good thinking of you to show how you'd have had your wrists taped for your TFCC wrist pain and how it corresponds So you have that familiarity with it. That does show that it's for the wrist

Supposing their wrist isn't already injured, the tape doesn't prove that badminton players use it to prevent injury to the wrist, and doesn't suggest that if they didn't wear it they are likely to injure it. And of course if they dived and landed on their wrist, they'd still injure it, despite that tape. They may use it for muscle recovery. (of muscles in the wrist).

On the question of "has anybody ever seen a player injure their wrist?" (supposing it wasn't injured before, and supposing they didn't dive and land on it) . I haven't seen it..

And I think Budi basically agrees../ correlates with my observations in terms of its rarity, he said "Never seen wrist injury." (and that includes of beginners, which he mentioned, - and beginners are often told they are at high risk of wrist injury)..And he mentions "The only wrist sore i ever got is when i use wrist bend to smash hard rather than forearm rotation & thats long ago." and I may have had that a long time ago too.

10. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I hurt my wrist one time and it’s quite painful. I must have a bad form at the time (“throwing wrist forward” type). It took a long time to heal. I didn’t stop playing, but wore braces to limit wrist motion.

and I found that once I corrected my form it wasn’t painful at all playing before it’s completely healed. However it gave me a lot of trouble shooting a basketball as I had to bend the wrist forward.

ucantseeme and ralphz like this.
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    [​IMG]

If somebody wear a taping whose reasoning is to limit the movement of the wrist (try one of these wraps and you will notice that you can't bend you wrist fully in each direction) this is an evidence that wrist injuries can happen. Also look that they only wear on the racket hand. I don't think they wear it for dives.

With some basic knowledge of anatomy there only muscle insertion mostly around the wrist and most other joint. They are prone to get injured. And since the wrist is very poor for generating any power, there is also nothing to recover in terms of muscle fatigue.

Fellow members said that Chen Long said that he has/had a wrist injury.

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/chen-long-谌龙.49472/page-58#post-2550933

https://sports.qq.com/a/20170504/043043.htm

#11 ucantseeme, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    speCulatius likes this.