Happy to be here

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by luketheduke, Jun 21, 2004.

1. luketheduke

luketheduke Regular Member

I just joined this wonderful forum and am very eager to get back into the game after 15+ years of absence. Currently residing in New York, I found a club in my neighborhood that plays twice a week. Without even owning a racket I decided to joined the club and meet some people first. I guess my next plan would be looking for a racket shop. Anyone who lived in the U.S. knows that badminton is not a popular sport and it is impossible to view any of those competition on TV. I am so delighted to find a few of the forum members happily provide taped games for a minimal cost. So, I'm definitely looking forward to learn more from this forum. :D :D

Luke

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Welcome to the big family.

As a new yorker myself, I can fully understand your frustration of "high price". Wondering which club you are playing at right now, and we can surely share some information around.

For the racket, check www.nycbadminton.com, as the owner(s) are Yonex and Gosen dealers. If you visit their club (or u already playing there?), feel free to arrange some demo trials (drills only, no game) on rackets. They do offer discount price on equipment and re-string services, if u r a member.

Keep in touch, and hopefully we can meet up for some games one day. ;)

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    When LuketheDuke mentioned "forum members happily provide taped games," my first time reading that sentence, I interpreted:

"Lazybuddy (forum member) happily providing taped-up courts"

:D

Welcome to BadmintonForum, Luke.

-dave

4. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I think Wood_22_chuck should be the introductory mod, he has probably set a record of appearing in every single intro thread. :D :D and oh yes, welcome to BF!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol...

I am happy to provide services for my local club, but I am not happy with the fact that we have to suffer through due to limited facility availability in NYC. :D

6. luketheduke

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am beginning to feel the need for Badminton, real badly. It's like being released from a concerntration camp after 15 years and craving for warm and delicious food for the first time. :eek: :eek: That's what happened. I just ordered a bunch of DVDs from forum members that will satisfy my hunger. The place I joined is called Lost Battalion Hall Recreation Center in Queens. The fee is $50 a year and you get to play 2 days (Tue & Fri - 6:30pm-10pm) a week. I will soon find out tomorrow. Got to get a racket first.

LazyBuddy, thanks for the link. That really comes in handy.
    wood_22_chuck, that was a good one with "taped-up courts". :D As a matter of fact, a taped-up court did happened in my old days. Talking about desperation.
    If I may ask, how often do you guys play in a single week?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. I know that gym. I believe they have 3 courts, and since the price is really cheap, I heard it's always packed with tons of players. If you need to find other club(s), let me know. However, the price might be higher (or, much higher in some sense).

2. For rackets, if you want to buy brand new Yonex or Gosen racket, check www.nycbadminton.com You can request price quote via email or phone call. If you don't mind purchase 2nd hand rackets, I do have several decent ones (with less than 20 hrs of usage) to sale. With high shipping cost, I prefer to sell them in local area as well. If interested, drop me a PM or email, and we can arrange some "demo" trials.

3. Enjoy the baddy activities, and don't be surprised about the "tape up courts", as u will see it around here and there in NYC. :D

8. luketheduke

You're right, LazyBuddy. This place is packed. There are 4 courts available and people actually used the lane in between as well. I met a couple of people and one of them sold me his Yonex Carbonex 8 for $25. That's not bad. It's in pretty good condition and he even offers to rebound the handle. For $15, he will restring any rackets. Well, I don't have to worry about restring after all.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sounds like a great start, and hope you like it. It's handy to have a play-stringer around (like me for my clubs, :D ), as u don't have to worry too much about re-string / pickup-drop off services.

Enjoy ur games, and hope some time we can meet up and play some games. Just make sure take it easy on me, don't just blow me off 15:0 in like 2 min. :D

10. luketheduke

Sure, I bet you'll wipe me out in 10mins. I haven't hold a racket in years. But I'm very happy to be able to play again. Looking forward to meet up one of these day.:)

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You know, Lazybuddy left out the part where you're gonna be on your hands and knees helping him tape up, tape down the courts, right? :D

-dave

12. luketheduke

I'm not worry about that part. I'm more concern with who is going to hold the net.:D :D