gripping for smash

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by brandonL, Mar 3, 2022.

1. brandonL

brandonL New Member

Is it normal if I found my smash being steeper when I hold the handle in the middle instead of the end of the handle? whenever I try to smash while gripping the end of my handle, the shuttle would go flat (more so like an attack clear) even though ive hit the shuttle in front of me. do you have any suggestions on why this happens?

[​IMG]
    this is where i grip my handle for a better smash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Shorter hand to racquet head length makes your swing quicker and improves your control. However, your reach is compromised.

Many doubles players will change where they grip the racquet during a rally. Defence and forecourt hold higher, rear court shots and smash hold lower.

You just need to have someone feed shuttles for you to smash and practice smashes with holding the racquet near the end of the handle. Don’t go for 100% smash speed. Power is not the aim of this exercise. The objective is finding the right contact point with holding the racquet in a new position.

My kid used to do the same as you but not so high. Even then, I made her hold it lower and kept correcting her with feeding shuttles. She ended up with holding the handle in a lower position and a very powerful smash.

#2 Cheung, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    s_mair, Againzt, puttguy and 3 others like this.
  3. Againzt

Againzt Regular Member

Agree with this!
    Middle Grip + 100% Power = Steep
    Rear Grip + 100% Power = Flat
    Try using Rear Grip + 70% Power, you will find that smash steep as well. Then you just adjust/train your technique and wrist strength accordingly so you can use Rear Grip + 100% Power but still hit steep smash.

4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Most likely you're timing it better when you grip closer to the cone.

Gripping at the butt will give the most power (linear velocity of the racquet head will be higher) but only if the technique is correct.

5. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

when you're holding the end of the grip, even when you have time for a full smash, can you still not make the smash go as steep as you could compared to a middle grip?

If you can't, the racket might be too head heavy or stiff or both. Either change up your racket or train yourself to swing faster by getting stronger. I'm guessing your timing isn't the issue since you seem to time well enough with a middle grip to hit steep shots.

Personally I think if you're making any changes to your equipment as a fix, you need to get a racket with less stiffness than your current one.