Great matches to watch?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Elixau, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Hello,

I haven't been watching pro Badminton play for awhile, a couple of years! :( Any recent great doubles (MD, WD, XD) matches I should watch? Thank you :D

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The BWF youtube page has tons of high quality video from recent years.
    You could feast on that for years!
    If everyone gives you one suggestion from that source, you should be happy. :)
    Here's one submission (MD):

gionna and Jilles like this.
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The MD final at the World Championship 2015 was an excellent match.

4. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Not a match, but one of my favourite videos. The angle really makes you appreciate the speed of the shuttle/players!

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I agree. looking the MD match from the back of the court makes you appreciate the speed and technique more. and by "from the back" I mean at eye level, not bird view.

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Two of my favourites:

pcll99 likes this.
  7. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
  8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    My favorite ones tend to be trolls and funny matches, where some players just self destruct:
    1. 2014 Asian Games WD Final, Don't know how Ayaka-Misaki self destruct like that
    2. 2015 World Championship WS QF, Tai Tzu Ying vs Lindaweni, that comeback in the 2nd game was just gold
    3. 2015 Malaysia Open MD final, LYD and YYS just don't know what to with Hendra's magic. the last point was also good, YYS diving to no avail
    4. 2016 Thomas cup SF, Ahsan-Hendra vs LYD-YYS, should be a difficult match but Ahsan-Hendra won easily like nothing, and by playing soft shots at that.
    5. 2015 SSF MD SF, LYD-YYS vs Ahsan-Setiawan, this one feels more like YYS bullying.
    6. this one is a bit serious, 2014 Asian Games MD Final, again, shows how LYD can bottle it when it really matters and he really wants it. You can really feel the tension in the game

all in all, I just love the Ahsan-Setiawan and LYD-YYS matches.

#8 opikbidin, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    A) 1992 Thomas cup semi final (Malaysia vs China)
    1st Men singles, Stadium Negara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Rasid Sidek vs Zhao Jian Hua

If i have a time machine now then i would certainly want to go back and sit again inside the insanely pack stadium negara yelling and shouting supporting Rashid Sidek during this match which even the malaysia local newspaper wrote as mission impossible.

During this time, able to match ZJH style of play who was regarded as one of the 4 heavenly kings of badminton is already consider as good enough, alone beating him. When Rashid entered the court, you no need to be a scientist to figure out the hard task that he"s facing against if not, the most deceptive left handed MS player during those era or maybe of all time.

I have to salute Rashid because with the shocking defeat of ZJH in 3 sets, it has sent a massive psychological blow to the mighty China team which eventually leads to their defeat. Rashid was so impressive that despite all the the effort done by ZJH from his famous cross court jump smash to his stunning deceptive net play, Rashid was able to reply every hit that was sent to him.

B) 1992 thomas cup final (Malaysia vs Indonesia)

2nd MS, Stadium Negara Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Foo Kok Keong vs Alan Budi Kesuma

Before this match started, it seems that Indonesia has a much greater chance to lift the TC since ABK was in great form especially since winning the Olympic Gold medal.

With the result tied at 1-1, FKK was indeed the underdog here but IMHO, he played, if not, the best performance ever in his life. He outplayed ABK in straight set and triggered the motivational path for Msia 2nd MD played by Cheah Soon Kit / Soo Beng Kiang to clinch the winning point to give Msia the TC that was won the for the last time 25 years ago.

SS

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the greatest doubles match of all time is FHF/CY vs LYD/JJS of 2009 World Championships...

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    for XD matches in the past 2 to 3 years, those involving Eom HW/Yoo YS are worth watching.

12. Sars

Sars New Member

You mean this nice video: