Golfer's elbow

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sautom88, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I have a minor golfer's elbow symptom, not pain but uncomfortable on the inside of elbow. These are my questions;
    1. Too big or too small of grip size is more plausible cause for the golfer's elbow? I use 3-4 different rackets w/ varying grip sizes, mostly HH and Even balance
    2. Does too high of string tension contribute to the problem? Lately it seems that my friends notes that my tension are too high. 25/26 freshly strung with mostly Gosen R4X100, Momone, BG66UM... No vectran
    3. Will switching to lighter rackets, 4U HH or veryHH 5U helps? Most of my rackets are HH or EB; Astec Pro900, YY AT300, VictorArtTec99, SOTX D-600
    I also need to do more proper warm-up and exercise before playing, thanks for any comments

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What have you changed recently? Racquets, strings, tension, shuttles, training routine

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Nothing, mybe i had been more particular abt my string tensions. They're 1-2lbs tighter than last year. Also as soon as they loosen up i restring them, abt 3-4weeks

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

3 times a week, twice doubles games, once 3vs3. It usually hurts after doubles, esp after games with lots of attacking clears

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Perhaps it is a technique issue. Don't think a change of racquets will do much good.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

How about grip size? Too big or too small is prone to this injury?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Anything too big or too small is no good ;)

sautom88 likes this.
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

Or too heavy... like a 3U ZF2.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which is what I use now without any problems.

dave010 likes this.
  10. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Cheung why zf2 n not zf1? I dont think i can handle a 3U zf properly anymore. Over the hill, as they say....:(

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Back to topic, do u guys think i over-exert or over-pronate so developed minor golfer's elbow? :(

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I just picked it up and liked it . It has a similar damped feeling to my previous YY. I used to use 2u cab20 before.

I tend to look at technique first if considering injury. I remember my previous golfer elbow was trying to smash too often on slow shuttles. I can't really blame too much on technique because for so many years, I never suffered from golfer's elbow.

However, when I went to see the physio that time, they said I have a lot of assymetry in my muscles in the lower part of my body and back. So poor posture that accumulated over the years could well have been a factor.

sautom88 likes this.
  13. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

My phisiotherapist also said similar yhing abt my back. She even told me to quit badminton n go swimming. She said badminton is not for anyone over 50. I just said ok because she's my sister-in-law. But I still wont stop playing until i need a stick to walk. ;)

visor and Cheung like this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I do other exercises as well. It really helps my play.

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I currently use the thinnest victor overgrip I can order on top of wood. That I can talk about properly because people who've tried it recently have told me that they had pain in their elbow & shoulder after the match. Granted BG80 at 30x31 may play a role in that but another BC'er who has tried it with triple cushion wrap did not experience any such thing when trying it. Really thin grips can take a toll on your arm especially if the shuttles are too slow for the court.

Most I could think of what would help is lowering the tension to 23/24 (decent ps to maintain it perhaps) and three layers of cushion wrap on every single racket. Lowers the weight of it and maintains cushioning. Keeping a similar grip really helps if you switch often. I find it quite hard to adjust when trying out someone's 3U ZF2 with a THICK replacement grip with grooves and whatnot.... Once you're used to a grip and like it, its best to probably keep it on all rackets.

16. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    I used to have both tennis and golf elbow. Tennis elbow followed by Golf, why? I over use other muscle to compensate for the problem with tennis elbow
    Tennis elbow, nothing really works, then like some one suggested a Thersa Flexibar which I tried. It helps and lessen the pain via muscle strengthen exercise. Recommended it to 2 other friends who tried, they too have some improvement (no more pain). Their case, kind of mild unlikely mine. My tennis elbow was close to 2 years. Ignore most of the pain continue playing..... Until I finally gave up and surrender. What ever guard I used, I have too many different ones at home.... all useless. Started Flexibar and things had improved and when I got back to the way I used to play... the pain surfaced again. I re-string my racket with lower tension 1-2lbs... There is some improvement but still hurts when I smashed. So I went hunting for lighter racket and found what I wanted. Since then, I have been using the lighter ones and sold off several of my older racket.
    I tried a few times to use them again, but each time, my vein starts to pull. I have no choice but to switch totally switch over to lighter one.
    My racket, base unit without string.. 76gm Apacs 6U. I tried an Apacs 7U ultra light racket... I can't get use to it and my swing was off, it also trigger my arm pain..... So be careful what you choose.

sautom88 likes this.