Golden couple seek silver lining and there is no place like home

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by kwun, Mar 4, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am not going to generalize where that happens, but i want to point out that there are many badminton players i have seen take defeats/mistakes in a true sportman manner.

take our own JR for example, he never blame others for the matches he has lost. if he loses in a match, or makes a mistake, he admits that he didn't play well or made a bad judgement. and then later on he will come out again to play some brilliant badminton. i see that's the way a true sportperson should behave.

another example is Lin Dan, who loss in the Olympics was one of the most talked about news this year. he never come out to blame or bad-mouth anybody. he was depressed and sad about the loss i am sure. but later on in the year, he picked it up again and went off to win 4 tournaments. proving again to the world that he is still the one to beat. that's what a true sportsman is about.

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

or "Badminton Princess" (with his alice bands).

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

talk about mental depth.

it's nauseating that these people as the public figures who get themselves heard, choose to make statements like this.

#23 Anatolii, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ahh, I think she was Mrs Gilks already. Gillian Gowers is another ex-England player.

Going back to the main theme, Nathan and Gail simply cannot go on being bitter and sniping about the Olympic final loss. I'm sure they are sensible enough to realise that they have to get over it. Wether they can control their emotions in such a fashion is another matter.

The newspaper article is also written in an ambiguous fashion. When I first read it, it seemed that the british pair were placing part of their Olympic loss on difficulties on winning in the Asian circuit.

I think we should all be mindful that news articles sometimes do not reflect what players actually said and many are written to provide some sort of 'sensationalism'.

The chance is now there to prove that England's no.1 mixed pairing is the best on home turf...the All England! To prove that they are the very best, they have to do it consistently on the Asian tournaments as well.

Remember a guy called Icuk Sugiarto? Won the World Championships but could never make the breakthrough in another top European tournament afterwards.

5. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

yes, i agree with that! what do they mean by the people in britain are very fair, that all their tournaments are very fair and they dont so called act like the Chinese because they are british. its absolute biasness!

just because they are british means what, they are totally civilised and fair people and the implied asians are unfair in the judgement and stuff? im not saying that UK is not a fair country, but they are making themselves seem so mighty on top just because they are from britain, and despising asians like that. he has a real attitude problem, always throwing up his racket and drowning his head in despair, which is not the right attitude a sportsman should don on.

6. slacking_freak

slacking_freak New Member

yes...i totally agree wif it...it is like discriminating...especially when a public figure make such a statement...i think that it is totally not the way a public figure should say...it actually reflects the person's thinking as in for example...the person actually feel that they are more superior...

yup...i agree with this statement as being a sportsman...you have to have good sportsmanship... when its a lost...its a lost...you have to face the fact that...you are not good enough...although...yes...there may be other factors...but...the main reason is also because you are not good enough...no matter..physical...or mentally...

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Nathan and Gail dont know or not have heard of "Grace in defeat". To say that their umpires are not favourable and the crowd does not Jeer at others is a JOKE. If you see the history of other sports that the British have played namely Football and Cricket they have had VERY Favourable Decisions at crucial junctures.

If those Statements are not Racist then what is... She simply says they are BRITISH and they dont do such things. Thats ********. Nathan and Gail wont go down in history as one of the best ever and thats for sure...

Nathans actions are not understandable at all. Badminton fortunately is not a sport like Tennis. Going by Emms standard it would be uncivilised for nathan to throw tantrums... I suppose that is truly "BRITISH"

8. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Salute !!! Congraturation to Nathan and Gail.

As I said in the other thread. It seems that Nathan/Gail has changed.
    She had no complaint. He had no yelling.
    They accepted what the umpire dicided.
    It seems that her arrogance is gone.

Any way they prove and show the world that they are one of the best in XD.

England has waited so long to have a champion at home ground.
    Now England has it. Again, Congraturation !!!

9. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    eh, maybe not gone, i think lessen is better suited it