Gade launches attack against the new scoring system. Re: Why AE still on 15 points?

Discussion in 'All England 2006' started by 2cents, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Very good news:) Asia thrashed the 7 pointa system and Europe thrashed the 21 points system. Winner the 15 points system loved by all:D

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Bad news is that the 21 points system is very far from having been thrashed for the moment! :(

3. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

You can read the report here:
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/sports/

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Here's the article

Sports News » [​IMG] [size=-1]Peter Gade[/size]

Time is GMT + 8 hours
    Posted: 18 January 2006 0018 hrs

Badminton: Gade blasts new scoring system

BIRMINGHAM, England : Former world number one Peter Gade has launched a scathing attack on the new scoring system which is about to start on the world circuit.

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) recently decided to adopt point-per-rally 21-up scoring, which will be introduced soon after this week's All-England Open championships here have finished.

The IBF believes this system will be easier to understand than the traditional hand-in hand-out 15-up scoring for all events except women's singles (11-up), which has been the norm since organised badminton began more than a century ago.

But there appears to be plenty of dissent against 21-up scoring, and Gade, who will be trying to regain the All-England title this week, feels the same way.

"I don't think the IBF will like the new system," he asserted. "It is very clear to me that this is a political matter.

"Table tennis had this scoring for 50 years. They changed from this (to 11-up) with great success but those running badminton, they look at it, and say 'we want your old system and we think it will do good'.

"I can't see any reason for doing that. We had an opportunity to vote for a more intense and exciting game. It has been exciting only from about 10-all or 11-all and now, moving to 21, but it will become even worse.

"I think this is political, because Asia dismissed the five games to seven-up system and have regretted it, but won't go back to it again. Five to seven is best for badminton and I really wish it would be part of the future."

Gade is referring to is the political conflict within the IBF between Asia and its supporters and Europe and its supporters, which recently led to three different scoring systems being adopted within two years on the world circuit.

Although the five to seven experiment produced a faster, shorter, and more unpredictable version of the sport, it was not endorsed by the IBF's annual meeting.

And when the IBF council adopted an unheard of combination of scoring - men's singles and doubles to 15-up but any event involving a woman (women's singles and doubles and mixed doubles) to be played to 11-up - a bitter controversy developed.

It provoked dissent from more than 30 countries, causing an extraordinary general meeting which forced the IBF to back down, and brought the compromise of a return to traditional scoring.

Gade believes the imposition of the latest scoring system is a political reaction to that; the players will discuss their reaction to it at their annual meeting this week.

"But I don't think the players can do anything about it," the Dane said. "When we expressed our opinion to the IBF before, nothing happened. I don't think the players' opinions will matter.

"And when so many Asian players are dominated by associations and their governments it is almost impossible."

"We can send signals to the media. And every time I am asked I will react in the same way. But the IBF is in control and as long as it's like this, it's very hard for the players to change anything.

Meanwhile a complaint from Denmark about the IBF-made draw for the All-England championships has caused the men's doubles to be redrawn.

"If this draw was made by computer then one would expect a review of the programme," said Finn Traerup, the Danish performance director. "But I would think this has been made by hand.

"There are too many glitches which makes it critical to get the review because the IBF website lacks information and we don't know how people earn their ranking points any more." - AFP/dt/de

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

interesting article.
    I found 5x7 a bit to short....so do I think 21x3 is weird

I'm voting:
    -5x9 serve-scoring
    -5x15 rally-scoring

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I'm voting
    - 3x15 serve-scoring
    - 3x15 rally-scoring for womens doubles :)

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Seems like you're not a WD fan!! :p

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Of course I am ;) .. But sometimes I feel it is too much of a good thing, time wise :) especially when they have to skip broadcasting other finals, because the time taken up with all the clear duells in wd :)..

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm

I don't think it is very professional of Gade to launch personal attacks like that. Not that I like the system, I still don't think that's an act of professionalism.

QUOTE : "I think this is political, because Asia dismissed the five games to seven-up system and have regretted it, but won't go back to it again. Five to seven is best for badminton and I really wish it would be part of the future."

Still, what can I say. I think that if the game wants to survive in the new millenia, the players ought to show a level of professionalism and the governing body should act in the best interests of the sport and not for political gain. It's no use if we have a fantastic game with good rules and solid foundations if the governing bodies and players are acting like a bunch of knuckleheads.

mmm.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

life's too short for womens doubles....though top-level is good to watch...especially Mia Audina is amazing to watch..teh crazy shots that that women pulls off...

though I ahve to admit that in my competition teh WD is the last match to play (first 2 MS at teh same time, then 2 ws at teh same time, then on oen court one at a time: xd1, xd2, md, wd) and teh WD is some times my time to hit teh showers....

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    FEND, I think on the contrary this shows the high level of implication of Peter Gade in his sport.

He's not just a pro player who just bothers about his own results, he is actually concerned by future of badminton in general.

This is good I think, and we need more players like him.

On the precise topic of the scoring system, I hope the players will join their efforts to stand up against the 21 points system.
    Though as Gade says, unfortunately many asian players might not be free to stand up against their own national federation's position... :rolleyes:

12. Erwin

Erwin Regular Member

How about 5x11 servescoring for everyone.
    And when the score is tied at 10-10, you can choose to set to 15. Which is worth thinking about. In contrast to the traditional scoring system in which setting is almost a complete no-brainer (another 3 points at 14-14 is less than another 5 at 10-10.)

Futhermore I don't see why the matches have to be shorter. I think two hours spent watching badminton a whole lot better than 90 minutes of football. :p

It seems that we have to make badminton more interesting for TV, but why make it more interesting for the people who don't play badminton, if that means making it less interesting for the people who allready play badminton.

And besides, I don't understand the argument of making it easier for the TV-viewer. If people starting badminton at the age of 5 can understand the scoring, so can the 60-year-old tv-viewer...

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

No offense..But i find some matches at clublevel allready completly tedious.
    I ahve nothign against women (on the contrary:D ) but a WS taking ~double it's normal time. I'd go get myself something to eat/drink....

5x7 was to short for the MD..but i guess 5x9/5x10 would do miracles

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think it's great that peter gade speaks out. I like to hear what the pros have to say. I doubt we'll hear players voice from china as sensitive issues belong to their head coach and executives to decide. Didn't L Y Bo said he's undecided and wanna to test the new 21 pt scoring system some more.

15. donpedro

donpedro Regular Member

Here in Norway we had (tried out) 5*9 for a couple of years with great success. We even tried to promote it out in the world, but it was not very popular.
    In fact, when I watched the Copenhagen Masters videos the comentators talked alot about the scoring system in Badminton. One of them (Poul Erik Hoier) actually had noticed the 5*9 scoring system Norway tried out and was very happy with it.
    5*7 was I bit to short, especially in the Doubles matches.

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

nice to see a player with inetrest int he fututre of teh sport.
    but I was hoping for a deeper insight...I coulnd't find any reall arguments against the new scoring. except:"I don't like it" (no offense, Gade rocks)

17. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

Well each sport had their own unique scoring system, squash had tried to change from 9 points to 15 points and table tennis had changed from the 21 points, wonder why badminton must go for the scoring system which had been used for ages by table tennis and had decided to discard it to make table tennis more interesting????

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

arguably, why did tabletennis change from a succesfull system?
    the verdict lies in the fact if the "new table tennis scoring" did, or did not, popularize the sport...
    and is this because of á change, or because teh scoring is indeed superior..

19. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Do you know why table tennis changed its scoring system?

Actually volley ball changed its scoring system, from what was the same as badminton now, to the current scoring system (which is almost the same as old table tennis, and also almost the same as badminton going to use from 2006/02/01.

The reasons for volley ball and badminton changes are the same - to control the playing time. Since the old systems (both 15x3 or 7x5) count only the net results, it theoretically can last forever. The new system is to count the total points, therefore, the total playing time is well under control, then better to sell it to TV time slots. From this angle to view, I do think the new system 21 points is much better in 3 ways, while the 7x5 system is a failure.

1) shortest playing time. the old 15 points system can be very short for two players different very much in playing levels. This is not good, If the AE mens final only last 15 minutes (15:0 and 15:0 also, total 30 points), then TV channel has nothing to fill in. While the 7x5 system not improve this, instead, it makes it short (7:0, 7:0, 7:0, totally 21 points.), while 21x3 elongates the points to 21:0, 21:0, totally 42 points, so the shortest time become longer, the TV time gets filled.

2) the longest playing time, the old 15 points system can be very long for dog fighting. Theoretically, it could be infinite. While the 21x3 system fixes it tremendously. There are totally 29:28,28:29, 29:28 totally 151 points to play at most comparing to the infinity in both 7x5 or 15x3. And 9x5 almost the same as 15x3 in worst case scenario, 7x5 may reduced the total time from 15 points system a little bit, but not much.

3) average playing time. Both 21x3 and 7x5 can reduce the average playing time, but 21x3 put it in a controllable way, while 7x5 adds much more volatility in the time fluctuations which makes the TV broadcasting difficult.

As to play, I do think the hand-in hand-out way more fun. If I believe I can beat someone, it adds more confident to myself. On the other hand, if I am not confident at all, I like the point per rally way to steal a victory from the stronger opponents.

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Yes, he's right in speaking out. But I do not think launching personal attacks is going to help the cause. Speaking out is one thing, launching a personal attack is another.