From theory to practise: How to implement the split step into my game ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ballschubser, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Theoretically I know when and how to do the split step. When doing shadow footwork it works too, but, as most will know, once you try to implement it into a game, it gets really hard to get the correct timing. When watching videos of myself playing badminton, I observe, that I do some kind of split step sometimes, but often only one-sided. This tells me, that I most likely execute the split step too late (when I know in which direction I need to push off).

Now, as a noob, I have the issue with the correct timing when I try to consciously execute the split step (most often executing it too early which results being rooted to the ground for the moment and reaching the shuttle even later as without split step).

So, I would like to know, if there are some intermetiate steps I could use to approach the split step during a game. Some thoughts I have are:

1. Should I start with a jump, even if it is a waste of power and time, but it helps me to get down the timing and lower the jump high, when I get better ?

2. Is it better to start the split step "too early" or "too late" ? From which side of the "timing" should I approach the "right timing" ?

3. Is it easier to start it only for certain shots/positions (e.g. only if the opponent plays from the backcourt).

#1 Ballschubser, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The same as how you walk, you didnt think which foot start to lift & move forward & then when you land your foot & followed up by your next foot. Your body remember the pattern & not your brain.

You need to makes your body remember it instead of your brain. Keep doing shadow movement in routine daily to makes your body remember it.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

(1) I don't like teaching this as a jump. It's a bad habit. The timing is completely wrong and makes you vulnerable, so I don't think it helps.

(2) Timing can vary a bit depending on the situation -- e.g. singles defence can benefit from an early, wide split. In general, I would say better too late than too early. Too late makes you slightly slower, whereas too early kills your movement completely (you need to restart). Splitting late also gets you used to coping with some deceptions.

(3) Split step should be used in almost every situation, the obvious exception being when receiving serve.

More generally, I think the split step can be learned "indirectly". Rather than focusing on "doing a split", just keep your body a bit low and try to "stop" your movement in time with your opponent's hitting. Bear in mind that the feet could be "lined" up in different directions depending on the situation, and that a split isn't always "even" (it might be predominantly one foot, usually the racket foot).