French Open SS 2008 - Day 4 - QF (Friday October 31)

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2008' started by badMania, Oct 30, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

French Open SS 2008 - Day 4 (Friday October 31)

MEN'S SINGLES QF
    Joachim Persson vs Taufik Hidayat [7] -- Joachim is in the form of his life right now and another rubber-set beckons. However,I just have the sneaky feeling Taufik might squeeze past Joachim. Perhaps perhaps he can win his first SS title in Paris?

MEN'S DOUBLES QF
    Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan
    [1] vs Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif [5] -- another rematch and the INA pair has the edge.

Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong [4] vs Rian Sukmawan/Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki [7] -- it's high time Rian/Yoke beat a supposedly superior pair. This one should be interesting, although the MAS pair has the edge.

WOMEN'S SINGLES QF
    Lu Lan
    [1] vs Maria Kristin Yulianti -- for the 3rd time after the Olympics Bronze Medal match, these 2 players are meeting each other again. They must be sick of that by now.....but still Lu Lan has the edge, unless Maria can overcome her mental barrier, esp during critical times. She managed to lead MOST OF THE TIMES, only to end up losing the match.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES QF
    Zhang Yawen/Zhao Tingting
    [6] vs Vita Marissa/Liliyana Natsir [2] -- likewise, Vita/Butet always have problems when facing CHN pair (scratch pair or not). I think they might lose this one.

MIXED DOUBLES QF
    Nova Widianto/Liliyana Natsir
    [1] vs Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita -- a good job for Devin/Lita in progressing to QF, but I think they will be stopped by Nova/Butet.

2. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Joachim Persson vs Taufik Hidayat [7] - I was impressed with Joachim's performance in Denmark Open and also in the 2nd round in French Open where he beat Sony Dwi Kuncoro in two sets no problem. Taufik's form is still questionable, he shound have won the first round against Petr Koukal in two sets and also had trouble against Hafiz. With Taufik having played such long matches he may not have the stamina to play against Joachim. Hope he proves me wrong.

I just hope Kenneth Jonassen can reach the final as this may be his last tournament and he has not won any major titles for a while. I believe he deserves to win this title more than anyone else.

#2 Heong, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    French Open SS 2008 - Day 4 - QF (Friday October 31)

Greetings & Have a Great Halloween Day !!! :):):)

For the French Open SS 2008 today, will there be "tricks or treats" for us?

Looking at the QF Matches to be played today, we find as many as 10 countries represented. By the end of today, perhaps 5 countries would be left standing, namely;
    China,
    Denmark,
    Indonesia,
    Malaysia, and
    ??? (One more, but don't know which)

Here are some interesting matches to follow today, namely
    (1) MS: Taufik Hidayat vs Joachim Persson
    (2) WS: Lu Lan vs Maria Kristin Yulianti
    (3) MD: Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong vs Yonatan Dasuki/Rian Sukmawan
    (4) WD: Zhang Yawen/Zhao Tingting vs Vita Marissa/Liliyana Natsir
    (5) XD: Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg vs Xu Chen/Pan Pan

:):):)

4. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

for WS another interesting match - WYH v Tine
    and MD - CY/XC v FHF/SY

CY is against his ex-partner, haha... too bad can't watch this game :p

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Could we move this thread to combine it with badMania 's thread ?

Oops... Same thread/topic has been created. :eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps, BC could move this thread to combine it with badMania 's : click here

6. Yong_Hui

Yong_Hui Regular Member

Accountant
    wow.... another match between MKY and Lu Lan......
    can Maria revenge her lost in last 2 SS????

7. Yong_Hui

Yong_Hui Regular Member

Accountant
    is TH stop at QF again????
    Though match for him...........

8. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    Taufik always has problem against lefty players..

9. Yong_Hui

Yong_Hui Regular Member

Accountant
    Joachim is lefty player????

10. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Yup Joachim is lefty which can be troublesome for Taufik. Hope Joachim can meet Kenneth Jonassen in finals.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

French Open SS 2008 - Day 4 (MKY vs LL): It's time for MKY to win

Fans of INA would say ... "It's time for MKY to defeat LL". :):):)

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    WS Predictions

Yes, Maria should put herself on equal footing with Lu Lan. It is not that she could not claw back from defeat, but that she allows Lu Lan to claw back that is the problem :eek:.

Wang Lin should not have much problem against Ai Goto. Wang Yihan might have a slight advantage over a less inspired (compared to last week) Tine Rasmussen.

Neither Xie Xingfang nor Pi Hongyan was impressive so far, either one could win today.

We might end up with all CHN affair again ..... :eek::crying::eek:

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

there is also some representative from some other country, namely:
    england , japan, holland, france,denmark, germany, russia :):)

14. george@chongwei

if TH is to win his first SS title in Paris, he has to pass his tricky quarter final opponent 1st, Joachim Persson..the left hander:cool:
    if he gets past this, he might gets 1 roller coaster ride with lee chong wei next:););)
    lee chong wei for sure will be awaiting to revenge of his defeat to TH in Macau open final..
    its gonna be very very tough match for TH starting from the quarter final..:cool:;)..anyway, all the best to him in 2day`s match vs joachim persson.

#14 george@chongwei, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    MS Predictions

No offense to the opposition, but it should be quite smooth sailing for both Lee Chong Wei and Kenneth Jonassen to pass through to semifinals.

Gade vs Chen Jin is more difficult to predict. Gade's performance this week is not as fluid and Chen Jin is looking more match fit now. A repeat victory for Gade is possible, but probably after 3 hard games.

Taufik vs Joachim Persson is the worst to call. By definition, Taufik needs to snatch the 1st game to have the upperhand. But Persson, like Jonassen, keeps fighting as long as he can stay in the rallies. Taufik is not consistently fast enough to trouble Persson badly, like how LCW did in Japan.

16. george@chongwei

for sure THE FUZZY pair will once again play their best and all out in this match..
    im sure they had learned their lesson in their previous meetings which they lost to the world number 1 pair.;):)
    they knew what it takes to beat the 1st seed.
    hehe..
    i will rate this match 55-45..:p

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Doubles Predictions

Mixed Doubles:

The 2 top seeds from INA and CHN should not have any problem passing through

But the 2 ENG pairs will encounter stronger opposition. They will still start as favourites over their respective opponents in the other quarterfinal ties. Despite huge PAW points against ENG pairs, I am not going to bite the bait .....:p Just cannot figure out how the opponents (both are new or off/on pairings) could create an upset against a seasoned former XD World Championship winner (Nathan Robertson) and losing finalists (Clark/Kellogg).

Women's Doubles:

It is likely to be an all-CHN affair for the top section of the draw, Du Jing/Yu Yang and Zhao Yunlei/Cheng Shu expected to blow their respective opposition today.

In the bottom half, I am hoping for MAS and INA girls to clear this round so that we can avoid an all-CHN affair in the final. But to benefit from a win-win situation, my PAW is on the CHN pair, Zhang Yawen/Zhao Tingting .....:D

Men's Doubles:

The World and Olympic Champs are not likely to be toppled, as Zakry/Fairuz will probably find out today. Though it would be nice if the MAS pair could produce a better performance with a hint of an upset ......

Koo/Tan would be wise to respect Rian/Yoke, otherwise it would be another defeat in the long list of defeats against a lower ranked pair.:eek::mad::eek:

The 2 CHN scratch pairs do battle, which I expect will be won by the more technical Cai Yun/Xu Chen (assuming Xu Chen still has energy after XD).

And finally, Paaske/Rasmussen will seek to justify their seeding this time, and hope for a revenge match against Fu Haifeng/Shen Ye tomorrow.

18. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Happy halloween!

[​IMG]

BOO!

hehe...

Anyway, my predictions

Eei Hui and Pei Tty would probably pull through to the semis.

Kien Keat and Boon Heong on paper will, but you cannot predict too much with that pair lah...

Zakry and Fairuz have a slim chance against the reigning World Champions, reigning Olympic Champions, and reigning world number 1s (that was a mouthful)

Chong Wei SHOULD pull through, operative word being should. Lu Yi is not an easy player.

Finally, Pei Tty and Kien Keat should pull through. I don't know why Rexy doesn't want this pair. This pair is awesome. Kien Keat should focus on XD not MD.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    I dont think anyone can stop kido/ setiawan today...if fuzzy win this...i will not login bc until i finish i exam...hehe...no lar...just joking...:p

20. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    ll vs maria and wang yi han vs tine!!!