Football Season 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2006.

1. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Anyone but United eh Wilfred!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That Arsenal vs Man U match was very good. I got it on video. Great to see that last minute goal by Henry. Keeps the excitement going.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Depending on what sort of aspect you're asking me that question from.

On one hand, to get to the finals and win will mean Arsenal will have lots of additional games to play, meaning that maybe it could help Liverpool consolidate on the league table. Don't forget there's still the Champions League, making it 4 competitions in all.

On the other hand, I do enjoy watching Arsenal play throughout Wenger's tenure (in opposed to Graham Taylor's direct ball era) - the speed, coordination and flair is simply amazing when in the mood. Arsenal is very much my 'second team' in the Premiership for the reason of spectacle.

But yes, anyone but United. The lesser of two evils I guess. ;)

4. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Everton coming up on the weekend and boy do we owe them a can of whoop @$$!

Almost forgot there's a West Ham game later.

5. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Well well, only 2 behind Chelsea even with one game played more. If Chelsea fail to do Blackburn at home and we (MUST!) beat Everton, the table may look pretty interesting at the end of this week.

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Someone please tell me this is a joke - DIC deal with Liverpool board is off because

"offer had been accepted in principle by majority shareholder David Moores but they were unable to make a formal offer to shareholders".

First, Mascherano's loan deal is now being worked at in frantic pace since FIFA gave the special dispensation at the last day of the transfer window. Then I woke up from a nap to this.

A beautiful day this is turning out to be.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Sure is a beautiful day wilfred!!

We owe todays victory to one man... not Arsene Wenger this time.. but Ricardo Rocha!!! Hahahahhahahaha!!!

8. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Todays paper said that DIC withdrew their bid when they found out that the board had broken the exclusivity agreement by speaking with another investor, some tycoon calld Gillete apparantly.

Another week passes and another victory over Spurs, although we did field a few first team players.

I just wish ManU would lose a few players!

9. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I am in the dark as everybody else about what happened but we do have some accountants and lawyers debating the issue on RAWK and came to several 'conclusions'.

They did make a point however that it is an obligation to look into Gillett's bid because it's UK and trade laws I think - need to read back. Thus, David Moores has to look into the American's proposal because he must act (ethically) to the interest of the shareholders, even if the DIC are the front runners.

Add to that the 12-hours deadline thing and you have a bunch of issues coming up. The DIC finished their due dilligence in months and perhaps were slighted to know that Gillett's bid was being tabled at the board's meeting.

As mentioned "offer had been accepted in principle by majority shareholder David Moores but they were unable to make a formal offer to shareholders" means that the other 48.4% of the shareholders either didn't like it (not surprising considering Trevor Morgan is one of them) or are looking for a final big paycheque ie Granada.

Want to throw more spice into the story? Gillett and his partner Hicks are backed by Trevor Morgan.

Seems like we are most likely to follow the Glazer route now and to be honest Man USA aren't doing too bad themselves even if they were £600+ million in the red. The important issues guaranteed by Gillett was no groundshare (thank God!) and financial backing for transfers.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Enjoy your trophy Fergie.

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Liverpool is now owned by Americans... any thoughts wilfred?

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Cautiously optimistic.

We're treading into unknown waters here - the ownership of the club has always been from the UK starting from John Houlding to the outgoing David Moores, whose own family had been in control for the past 50 years or so. They are either fervent fans or at least very knowledgeable about the game itself.

[​IMG]
    George Gillet

If Man Utd under the Glazers is to be an indication - they didn't do too bad aren't they, even under more than £500 million in debt. The difference here is that we don't owe anybody anything and the £44 million (or so) in debt is now wiped off.

[​IMG]
    Tom Hicks

Mr Gillet and Hicks, we hope, at least have the passion for sports and understand the Kop tradition that made us famous in the world over and we seriously hope this will be the kickstart of a new glorious era. Important points that were agreed:
    1. Strong cash support in the transfer market
    2. Aggressive marketing drive to help re-establish Liverpool as a global football flagship
    3. New stadium
    4. NO GROUNDSHARE
    Mr Hicks mentioned about a visit to Anfield not too long ago and he said the 'passion of the Kop' blew him over and thought "I MUST have a part of this". I hope it's a proper indication that he is looking towards making us winners again.

Rose tinted glasses yay, but didn't they predict doom to Man Utd and Chelsea in the past two years.

We're being dragged kicking and screaming into the new era of football millions and only time will tell if this is a wind of change for the better or worst.

Let's not deny this - nobody goes into a business venture without thinking of profit; we sincerely hope to profit both on and off the pitch with this new ownership.

To Mr David Moores, a heartfelt thanks to your years of stewardship - You'll Never Walk Alone.

---

There are strong rumours that the Dubai International Capital (DIC) is now looking towards Arsenal as their next target of investment.

13. apache7175

apache7175 Regular Member

Thoughts on the Takeover

I guessed the Americans are coming hard and fast to EPL.
    They must have got their sums right and think it's probably
    profitable to go into EPL. Actually it's raising the profile of soccer in
    USA. See ? Beckham is going there too....

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    One reason to come to the EPL is that the television rights itself is a goldmine. For the next 3-years worth of deal the value will go up to £2.7 billion which is equivalent to about US$ 5 billion, giving Premiership clubs an average media income from league games of £45 million a year from 2007 to 2010.

Furthermore, now more and more younger and highly talented players of the world are going to the PL instead of Italy and even Spain it has become one of the most lucrative leagues in the world, and still, based on the worldwide fanbase (thanks to the Commonwealth empire history) the most popular football championship in the world.

Beckham going to the States isn't really going to rock any boats as the top players are still going to Europe - he has somewhat declined (expectedly) over the years although his work rate and passing is still pretty good.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

If you guys want to know why the EPL is the league, you oughta go find one of those sky replays of the Arsenal vs MU match where Henry headed that last minute goal in injury time.

I quote the commentator by saying.... "This is why this is the best league in the world"

16. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    The Premiership is Man U's now! :p :D Yes! Yes! Yes! :rolleyes: :) Jia You ;) hehe

17. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Most realistic Reds would tell you that Man USA will be almost impossible to catch at this rate but none are discounting a third historical fightback per year of Rafa's boys. ;)

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Wait till M U goes on a losing streak and so will Chel$ki. Just wait for it.

19. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    DON'T SAY THAT! :mad: :D :p LOL
    :rolleyes: Only 9 games left, rite? :rolleyes: eheheh

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Wrong -Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea have played 26 Games out of 38 (12 to Play), Arsenal have played 25 (13 to play).:)