First Blood to New Zealand U 19's (Tri-Nations Australia, New Zealand and Canada)

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by jump_smash, Jul 19, 2004.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    From Badminton New Zealand Website

Article
    http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/ass...news_task=DETAIL&articleID=83436&sectionID=47

First Blood to New Zealand U 19's
    The tie was won after just the eight games with the Kiwis guaranteeing victory at six matches to two as Chance Cheng from North Harbour accounted for Jeff Tho in the top boys singles 15-12 15-5.

New Zealand nearly wrapped the contest up earlier as Auckland's Emma Rodgers, a winner of the North Island's 16's tournament last week, filled in for the injured Belinda Hill. Rodgers, in her first International, almost beat Aussie number three Erica Pong.

Rodgers eventually lost in three games.

Canterbury's Joe We started the tie well in the singles for New Zealand by scoring a 15-8 15-9 victory over Chad Whitehead while the relaxed Alan Chan accounted for Raymond Tam in straight games as well.

Australia play Canada on Wednesday at 6pm at the North Harbour Badminton Centre with New Zealand taking on Canada on Friday also at North Harbour at 6pm.

Results - NZ names first

Girls doubles
    Janet Tam/Michelle Chan def Erin Carroll/Leisha Cooper 15-12 15-11
    Boys doubles
    Alan Chan/Henry Tam lost to Jeff Tho/Raymond Tam 15-5 11-15 13-15
    Boys singles
    Chance Cheng def Jeff Tho 15-12 15-5
    Alan Chan def Raymond Tam 15-12 15-11
    Joe Wu def Chad Whitehead 15-8 15-10
    Girls singles
    Michelle Chan def Erin Carroll 11-4 11-8
    Janet Tam def Leisha Cooper 10-13 11-4 11-7
    Emma Rodgers lost to Erica Pong 0-11 11-3 6-11
    Mixed doubles
    Alan Chan/Janet Tam def Jeff Tho/Erin Carroll 10-15 15-11 17-14
    Joe Wu/Michelle Chan def Raymond Tam/Erica Pong 15-9 15-2
    Henry Tam/Garbo Choi def Chad Whitehead/Leisha Cooper 15-11 15-9

2. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Cool! Please keep us posted on how well our Canadians do! We have a number of juniors from our club playing for team Canada.

3. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Timless - How about a profile on the up and coming Canadians. Will they be playing at WA International (23rd -25th July)?

Do they have plans for the Australian International , 9-12 September Sydney?

Regards

Stuart

4. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I only know that they went to New Zealand to compete in an international tournament for more experience at the world level. Then they will be there for some training before heading home(?). This was to gear up for the World Jr. Championships later this year. I don't know whether they have plans for any other international tournaments, but considering the very limited budget of Badminton Canada I doubt it.

As for profiles of Canada's up and coming players... what did you want to know? I imagine on the world scale they won't be too much of a challenge to the asian and european countries. Recently I watched some of our best juniors get quite convincingly outclassed by some juniors from Taiwan that weren't even their national team. Either way, it will be a great experience for our juniors, and will hopefully raise their standards, even if by only a little bit.