Finish on your cross string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, Jan 9, 2023.

1. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I have tried a different string pattern, I saw Tim Willis tie off on his cross, I thought he went down to his last shared hole but it was just down instead of finishing up as usual. It made me think how to tie on my cross, when I string tennis rackets I always try to tie my crosses on the cross, my tennis boss told me your main strings are your working strings so tying a knot on your mains dampen the mains. So I started playing with a pattern thinking how or where I can tie on a Voltric or Nanoflare or Nanoray racket. I didnt think much about how it might effect the racket but after playing I gave it a little thought. For me I am not a good player, but feeling this pattern made me think it felt a little more solid, crisp, my thought was because my last 2 crosses had no tension loss only my 3rd to last because of the knot, the top was tighter making my racket feel like it had a little more power because of less vibration at the top.

So this pattern goes like this, on a Voltric which might have 3 crosses after the last shared hole, I would skip the cross after the last shared hole to the 2nd to last cross, to the last cross and go back down to the 3rd to last cross and tie on my cross at the last shared hole. For Nanoflare or Nanoray rackets or any racket with 4 crosses after the last shared hole, skip cross after last shared hole to 3rd to last cross, skip 2nd to last cross to the last cross, go to 2nd to last cross and then to 4th to last cross and tie on cross in the last shared hole.

I thought after the 2012 Olympics I heard talk of this kind of pattern from the UK stringers, but I cannot find any videos on it. I tried to make a video, I didnt realize I was in the portrit mode so my video sucks, and I cannot edit my videos because I dont know how and I am lazy to learn. I would like some feedback on what people think. I had 2 brothers try it pretty good players in my city, 1 loved it and the other was not a fan of it.

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!!

As of this post 120 views of my video

doodelhead, endFX, emjay and 3 others like this.
  2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Interesting.. I recently changed how i weave the last 3 crosses and tie off on a cross as a result of seeing Tim's video and the one posted during the German Open too.

Mine:
    1) after tensioning the 3rd to last top cross, skip the 2nd to last and go weave and tension the top most cross.
    2) now go down, weave and tension 2nd to last cross (or double pull if you were not able to tension the top most cross)
    3) Tie off
    • last shared grommet for cross (astros/nanoflare/nanorays, etc)
    • Or for the older rackets with 5 shared top grommets for the crosses i tie off at the 2nd shared hole (counting from the bottom)
    The only possible nitpick i can see with my tie off location may be the longer distance (tension loss?) from my last cross (2nd last) to the hole for the knot. Versus Alan's going from 3rd last to the similar shared hole for knot.

In general though, I do already see a benefit changing the cross tie off to another cross string instead of the main especially for my high tension clients. No negative feedback from them so far.

kakinami likes this.
  3. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I've just stringed 2 rackets your way and really like the process !
    I think I will use the method from now on. I'll need to try that on my racket though and play with it

kakinami likes this.
  4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Conventional pattern, skip 3rd to last and weave 2nd to last then last crosses. Go back to 3rd to last and tie off on 4th to last cross.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

DarthHowie likes this.
  5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Astrox 88S I skip 4th to last and 2nd to last crosses. From last shared hole I skip 4th to last cross and weave 3rd to last cross and then weave last cross. Come back and weave 2nd to last cross and then 4th cross, tie on cross #5 at the last shared hole.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DarthHowie and N0ol3 like this.
  6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Nanoflare 700 skip 3rd to last cross after last shared hole and weave 2nd to last cross then last cross. Come back to 3rd to last cross and tieoffon 4th to last cross at the last shared hole.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DarthHowie and Brunoille like this.
  7. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I just do the top two crosses reversed (double pull) like @DarthHowie and tie off at the highest shared hole. At least, I do this for Aerobite. Might start doing it for others as well, because tie-ing off at the top is a bitch :D

Doing 3 or 4 felt like a hassle and has a big piece on the outside. Skipping it 2 at a time like @kakinami has too many chances for errors in weaving for my head.

Now, should we also do this for the bottom cross knot? Where?

8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

It is possible to start your cross at 10 then loop around, Cross 10 to cross 9 then cross 11 and then finish. This way you can tie a knot on cross #9. I could fit 4 pieces of string in hole #9, I have my main cross and my main knot in hole #9, I am going to string one of my rackets soon, I think I will try it =)

thyrif likes this.
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

There are some things that rub me the wrong way with this whole topic.

1) Missing benefits
    I'm not a believer in this whole "but it feels more lively" voodoo. There is just no way that anyone could feel the influence of a single knot in terms of string movement or vibration dampening. And if that was the main concern, then why not be straight forward and going for a 1-piece pattern in the first place to get rid of 2 knots completely?
    The reason that was presented in the German Open video was a very specific issue with hybrid strings and super high tensions - and that can make sense in that combination. If they hadn't seen these durability issues on Aerobite jobs, nobody would spend a single thought about changing the tie-off spot.

2) A lot of extra string on the outside of the frame
    And that goes completely against my philosophy to keep the outside as neat and clean as possible.
    I see specific issues with having extra string at the 10/2 o'clock area. An extra "layer" there will cause the string to protrude more from the frame and is more prone to be damaged when scooping up shuttles.

Changing things just for the sake of the change is not the way to go imo.

Actually, I see this as a crystal clear downside with this process. You move the string with the most tension loss further towards the sweet spot making it more likely to actually hit shuttles with it. The topmost cross string is completely irrelevant in that regard - if you hit a shuttle there it has been a bad mishit from the start.

#9 s_mair, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

just try it!! =)
    To me it is not moving just the knot position but yes it does bring it down closer to the sweet spot but I feel the tension loss goes up instead of down giving feeling a little even feel. I don't like the long lines on the side but after playing with it changed my mind. I never thought it looked nice tying on a cross for badminton, but again trying it made me change my mind.

I never wanted to copy anything from Tim Willis, but after trying it changed my mind. I understand how most people feel, I was stuck in my own mindset, my string pattern is the best, should always tie off on your mains, use the least amount of string possible when tying off. If it ani't broke then don't fix it, I always thought. Instead of giving thoughts about why it isn't benificial, try it. I hope it rubs you in a better way =P

thyrif likes this.
  11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Try my voodoo!!!

12. viver

viver Regular Member

I spoke to a good friend of mine who has been stringing rackets for maybe the last 30 years. I mentioned to him about the finishing in a cross string, he said this practice is not new and to he knows a few stringers in his area that is doing it for quite some time. He has tried it in a few jobs in the past, but his preference is still finishing the knot in a main string.

kakinami likes this.
  13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think Tim said "reverse the top 3 crosses", if you want the short version. Great pictures and write up!

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

3) It looks utterly bodge-y - the kind of thing a beginner would do if they cock up on a pattern and have to improvise, IMO.

For me, seeing a knot that far down into the bed is a cast-iron facepalm.

s_mair likes this.
  15. N0ol3

N0ol3 New Member

I have no opinion on this matter, but I did saw a video on YouTube by Yonex stringing team about finishing your knot on the crosses. He did explain why it was done that way and I thought it was quite interesting.

kakinami likes this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I have seen that video, but I didn't watch the whole thing. Thanks for catching that. I didn't think about the breakage at the knot for some players, but I would think that might be the stringers fault for pulling too hard on your knot, not knowing if you damaged the main string or not. Their loop around has a big gap, mine kinda zig-zags back to that last shared hole. =)

My newest video

N0ol3 likes this.
  17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

21!?
    Did you get a job at the Yonex factory, Alan?:D