fastest way to string a racket.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Sep 26, 2002.

1. 6pieces

6pieces New Member

The odd thing is that when I mentioned the pro shop near me, the guy strings it extremely hard. At the same tension, the local club, sgvbc/labc, strings it too soft. I assume that the club is stringing using single pull. Not sure what the pro shop guy is doing in terms of tension usage. Thats all i know. 28 lbs for example. Pro shop too hard, feels like 30lbs. Local club too soft feels like 25lbs falling off to 22lbs after a few days. Mine just right AND with little to no change in tension over time. Dunno how that works. All of them are same tension requested. all 3 string methods are different. All 3 have different results. Mine just so happens to be most liked. I am consistent. I would be really weird if someone requested a 25 lb at a club and like it and go to the pro shop and req the same tension and end up with something totally different by 3+lbs(in terms of feeling, not necessarily actual tension pull)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    How do you get the reference of the correct tension, to claim your job as beeing alright at correct tension, because customers say it feels too soft at the club and too tight at the pro shop? How can you say that the pro shop overpulls? I don't get it. Maybe the club does a more weird adjustment than you to lower it a bit more. Your jobs with double pulling are not the real deal, regardless what people say and how they feel. They just feel alright with they ego and need to blame the stringer, who (which seems to be) do it right.

You don't and can't produce a high quality job with your routine and machine set-up. That's a simple fact. If the people have such big egos or are too stupid to realize that they choose tensions for their ego which they can't handle, I feel sorry for them. Don't let the impression of people make you feel to do everything perfect, because you don't. Simple as it.

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Seconded.

6pieces, keep it up though. It's stringers like you that keep me busy.

4. 6pieces

6pieces New Member

Funny Thing is that I've never lost a customer. Exact opposite is happening. I'm getting more customers every month. So much so, I've started charging more for express stringing.

5. 6pieces

6pieces New Member

If a customer requests #lbs. It makes sense to pull within a range of 2lbs up or down. Main and cross difference decides the hardness. No difference makes it literally like cardboard and too much of a difference makes it mushy. My Main and cross difference is an excellent(not perfect, no such thing as perfect) amount across the face of the racquet. 28 hard would be 28x28 at the sweetspot. 28 soft would be 28x26 at the sweetspot. Since I use progressive tension. I can't disclose my exact pattern. It's the secondary reason my stringing is preferred. First being no one has ever complained about loose strings. I get countless requests to restring other people's jobs because they lose tension so damn fast. Majority of new customers come to me with strings that haven't snapped. Again, I ask for feedback. They all say, tension is retained until the moment it snaps.

The stringer at the pro shop near me is actually trying to mimic my stringing technique. Has asked me and my father countless times for tips. Tension pattern is still a secret.

Mind you. I have tried the "proper" way. Its not like I haven't. I experiment with my stringing all the time. No variance of a single pulled main can compare to my original.

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The ratio depends on the machine. Some machines with strong supports are fine with square. Some just need just 1lbs difference on the cross, some 2lbs and others 10% to keep the exact frame shape as unstrung. Some adjustments are needed in different tension areas. So you can do to tension <X square, to tension at X and a bit above +1lbs and much above X 2lbs. You don't need to explain me how to string.

You try to keep your mystical superior pattern top secret and post it at BC and YT? Smart move. Nevertheless your pattern is nothing special to mention.

It comes more funnier after each post. BTW Mc Donalds sell the most Burgers and fries everyday, but it doesn't mean that their service and products are top-notch. Sometimes the access is the key for more customers, sometimes the durabilty. Maybe a combination, but your work is not good and even away from beeing average.

You next time post a ping here, so we can tell you how much lbs you are below. :D

7. 6pieces

6pieces New Member

Weave pattern is common. You can't see the tension I am using.

You keep talking about access. There are many stringers in my area. If my stringing is as bad as you say it is, why do they continue to come to me? There are multiple clubs. LABC, SGVBC, BCC. I'm fairly certain they string a standard method.

I am merely trying to defend an attack on my methodology. It's kind of like saying your way is wrong because I said so. I say its right because I said so.

2 People called my stringing "sloppy." Ok. In your eyes it is sloppy.

Have a little faith in something you don't understand. Until you have experimented with countless combinations of tensions, techniques, and tension patterns, have some faith that I have tried everything and my customers have concluded that they like my method best. I give them 2 identical racquets to try. My single pulled and a double pulled. Everyone liked the double pulled. THIS IS WHY I DO DOUBLE PULLED.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just to throw some actual data into the discussion.

we did some experiment a while ago as part of a contest. the test was to see how much tension is loss on a double pull. the first video is a single pull, the second video is double pull.

xZhongCheng, s_mair and DarthHowie like this.
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that was 4 years ago! time flies.

to summarize, from a head tension of 30lbs, single pull loses 3.25lbs when measured from the far end, while double pull loses 15lbs.

as who shall not be named would say, "make your own conclusions"

j4ckie, DarthHowie and s_mair like this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @6pieces I must make you a honest kudo. You stay in this discussion pretty open minded, cool and relaxed without going ballistic, even if we be harsh. This is true strength. I pay respect for beeing such a person. :)

s_mair, decoy and Rob3rt like this.
  11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

@6pieces
    Just for fun and out of curiosity, please post some stringbed frequency data indicating the string and tension. Would be very interesting.

Rob3rt likes this.
  13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This is what's wrong with our business.

Anyone can come in and claim to be a professional, using professional machines, professional tools and "professional patterns", and since no one knows anything about stringing, they just take their word for gospel. You're just like that guy who comes in store, and asks for "the best" racket because he's extremely good and achieved to beat every badminton player in his village, he could have won the Olympics, but meh, Olympics did not fit his schedule.

I'm sorry, but your string job is sloppy at best and your posts actually make my head hurt from all the absurdity and aberations they contain. And no, pro stringers do not double pull, I know this for a fact (as well as everyone in here).

That is the opinion of a real pro, who has strung up to national levels, got international level certifications, is responsible for evaluating and giving top level stringing certifications and met with some of the real best stringers in the world.

I'm being very gentle and reasonable when I'm saying that you're full of it.

Try to promote your technique all you want, I don't care, but don't run around saying that it is the real way to do it and that professional tournament stringers do it when it is an absolute fallacy.

#73 yan.v, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    j4ckie, DarthHowie, decoy and 7 others like this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

^ I don't know what's sadder... that, or his unsuspecting customers who will be in for a nasty surprise when and if they go to a proper stringer and ask for their usual X lbs of tension. Then they'll probably complain that the proper stringer messed up because they can't get any power from the super stiff stringbed...

#74 visor, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    DarthHowie and decoy like this.
  15. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    The poor racket... uneven tension throughout because of double pulling. Only the laziest do this and its the worst possible way to string.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay, your customers are blowing smoke up your @$$.

Speed does not equal quality, as it is shown in the video.

I rather spend a extra 5 minutes and do it right by pulling each main and cross individually.

I am also wondering why he has 2 accounts... Derrick N. and 6pieces are the same person.

visor, s_mair, jnsjnsn and 2 others like this.
  16. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

The double pull that 6pieces is far from ideal, but it might work if the stringer is consistent. I think if he triple pull, it might work best. I notice after at the first pull of a main he takes boths main and equalizes both string tension. and then pull again.

Example: The tension is at 25, one main is ?? tension, but the second main is pulled is 25lbs, let's not go into detail like tension is loss at grommet or it's not pull at direct angle... Let just say 25lbs for the second main. Then he pinch both string, by doing so we all agree first main is getting higher tension and second main has loosen. All this is pretty much of a art more than science, how much do you have to pinch the strings?? If someone is able to do a infinite small pinch and repull at infinite time, for sure both string will be the same tension But doing so to achieve the same results then just to a normal pull is pretty much in vain. And doing so indefinitely, he will be stucked at stringing only two mains after we all die :) hehe

Not saying we should do that but if his customer like his job. Then good for them...

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Look, guys, I don't agree with his method either, but can we please try to keep it civil? It seems like some of these comments are getting a bit hostile.

6pieces, I understand this is how you've been taught to string, but using scales like Kwun has, it is evident that there is a difference. The double pull will end up putting lower tension on the string bed.

You talk about professionals but I don't think being a professional is a quality guarantee. Mark and Paul, also professionals, said that at the all England they saw some atrocious string jobs. I've had someone who has strung for '20 years and never had a complaint' unable to string over 28lbs of tension with a £5000 machine.

Look, you obviously have good dexterity and speed. Nobody here denies that. I think that you should try pulling individual strings, I don't think it would actually take you much longer - because you are quick. As people have already stated, the method you are using creates inconsistency. Maybe your are consistent with it, but if for whatever reason they go elsewhere, they'll be at a loss.

As for double pulls as a whole, I use 4 in my pattern, the top 4 strings, the very bottom 2 strings, and the two outside mains on the short side. I do this because I use a different pattern from the normal 1 piece/2 piece, and the clamping would be very difficult and time consuming. But those strings are also shorter, and nobody will hit on them. So I think some time saves can be logical.

I wish you the best of luck, I think you should keep an open mind and explore some of the traditional techniques. Maybe you'll still use your own method, but maybe you'll find some tricks or ideas to improve it. It is always worth exploring.

18. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

That's well written Charlie.

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    It isn't a constant pull machine, so pinching on a non ECP/CP machine is useless. Sorry for beeing so direct but the Lock-out pulls just until the spring pops.

Double pull is nothing else than a kind of pulley. It halve the tension. You can see it in @kwun videos. It's nearly 1:2.

20. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'm sorry, I have nothing against proposing new techniques or promoting what you think is right, but lying to try to gain some notoriety and feed one's superiority complex is not something I'd ever stay quiet about.

Your reply would be 100% good if it was towards someone who came with a "Hey guys, look at what I'm doing, I think it's good" instead of a "you're all doing it wrong, I have fake evidences that prove it" attitude.

I think too many stringers have that attitude and it is extremely detrimental, not only to us stringers, but also to players who end up not knowing what they're playing with at all.