During matches, do you shift your grip up and down the handle between shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by s6edge, Jul 3, 2023.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

When I play, I only want to hold my racket on top of the handle because this way I hit the sweet spot more accurately and my movements/reaction are faster. The problem with this is I can't generate power to clear back to back or smash. I don't know if my wrist is weak or my technique is not good.

So I'm wondering if any of you hold the racket in the same spot and only switch the grip types to play the whole match.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes. And just as often as switching between backhand and forehand grips.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In doubles, changing from holding the racquet up and down the handle is pretty common for exactly the reasons you stated.

Midcourt and rear court shots hold near the end of the handle.

If you’re defending a smash, some people choose to hold it midway.

Front court where you need fast reactions is holding nearer the top of the handle.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Yes. Especially if you play 3U sledge hammer racket for double, those are the magic trick behind it.

Cheung likes this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you want to find out whether you can clear it, stand at the back while holding it on the bottom of the grip,(ideal place to hold it for the rear court), and try to clear it. Then you can rule out that it's you holding the racket too high up for the rear court shots.

As for whether to adjust where you hold on the handle. In singles they'd likely just hold the middle of the handle.

Also you shouldn't even be talking about having a weak wrist causing a lack of power 'cos anatomically you should know that power isn't generated by any movement from the wrist. When the wrist appears to rotate, it's 'cos it's attached to the forearm and the forearm is rotating. And in a throwing action the upper arm rotates too. A strong wrist or strength at a joint is good to help prevent injury though. So it's not bad to work on a weakness.

Ignore the misleading title of this badmintonfamly video . In the video itself, which is good, Rasmus explains the biomechanics, in the first minute of the video, he explains how it's not a wrist movement.

in doubles I do serve with a short grip and manage to ensure I don't have a short grip when i'm in the rear court. But maybe I could just hold it in the middle and do it. Also if you are adjusting where on the handle you grip, you'd have to also consider How you go up and down. When I was beginning I was told to use gravity. But later by another guy, I was told that's too inaccurate, better to use fingers to make the adjustment. But the singles way is always an option of just holding the middle. I don't know if doubles players also tend to do that too. And maybe in mixed doubles the front player might be most likely to hold higher up. I'm not so sure what pro players tend to do in doubles.

#5 ralphz, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Doubles is all about fast flat play and dominating the first few shots, you can't do this without a shorter lever as it will slow you down.

You need a longer lever for smash, clear etc. to hit at the highest point and get more momentum,