Drop Weight Machines

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by RichF, Mar 23, 2022.

1. RichF

RichF Regular Member

This Summer my plan is to buy my first machine, I did a little bit of stringing 25+ years ago but I've forgotten EVERYTHING so it's 'back to school' (AKA YouTube) too!

It's just for personal use for now...the price of stringing has gone up and I've always fancied doing it myself anyway

I'm definitely after a drop weight machine, if budget allows I might add an electronic tension head (likely Wise) next year so I'd like a model that allows for an easy upgrade.

I'm thinking about something like:
    • Penta Premium 3600
    • SuperStringer S70
    • SuperStringer T12
    • SuperStringer T15
    I'd really like semi-automatic clamps which I think means T15?

I also notice that the Pro's Pro Hornet, the AEF Flyer (2?) the DISCHO - Veritas OR and the Spinfire Flame look to be the same as the T12? (guess they're all made by AEF)

I'm drawn to the SuperStringers because they come with tools and, not least, I know @Tennisman has a great reputation...but it might be financially tricky once you add tax and shipping

Any thoughts/advice welcome!

#1 RichF, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Where are you from? If from Europe, I don't think you'll need to add tax ^^

3. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I used to be from Europe...until 31st January 2020

4. akatsuki2104

I have the Penta 3600 but wanted to add the semi-automatic clamps. I had to modify the penta quite a bit to make them fit so I would advise to go for a machine that include those base clamp

RichF likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

First, I think you already have a pretty good picture of the market and the most likely candidates. Also the idea of starting with drop weight an then having the option to add a WISE later on is spot on imo. Once you know how to string on a drop weight, going electronic will be nothing but a joy. :)

And yes, you'll absolutely need and want those semi-automatic bases! They are awesome and clearly worth (double...) the extra money. So that imo rules out all of the candidates except the T15. Which overall seems to offer the highest bang-for-the-buck value currently anyways.

Haven't been following PP for a while now, but yeah, those are clearly AEF machines. That Hornet is seriously cheap, no doubt about that. The biggest downside of PP is their legendary customer service. Which is basically nonexistent to even hostile. The T15 still seems to have slight differences in the turntable and main towers. And knowing PP, they will have done everything to squeeze out the last Cents in the components.

Tennisman offers great service in case there is anything wrong with the shipped machine or if anything breaks later on. So if you're not maximum tight on budget, that imo is a no-brainer.

Tax wouldn't be an issue. Once it's exported outside the EU, the german VAT of 19% will be deducted from the listed shop price and instead you will have to pay the UK VAT on import. You'll have the shipping costs though as extra costs though.

thyrif likes this.
  6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Thanks for responding, very helpful

UK VAT is 20% so easy come, easy go...sadly!

T15 is in stock with @Tennisman....unless you want the badminton clamps...which I do.

7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Thanks, you've confirmed my thinking that the clamps do make a difference

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Best write them an e-mail and ask about the clamps. The 5-teeth universal clamps are also very good and don't have any issues with the usual badminton string spacings.

RichF likes this.
  9. akatsuki2104

Yes, it's a no brainer. I wish I knew before buying the penta :oops:
    IMG20220323143502.jpg
    I had to buy a pro pro's base to fit the rails of the base clamp and up the height of the towers so that the bases could lock

10. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Ouch!

Definitely worth getting a model that's already compatible then!

Although...well done on your creativity/inventiveness!

11. akatsuki2104

Yes definitely !
    At the end, I spent almost the same price as a new, good machine :confused::confused:

12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I've got the T20 (pretty much what now is the T15), and I posted a video here of me using it a week back or so, if you want to see it in action. I've got the badminton clamps and they're great!

I did upgrade the side supports to Chudeks, but I think they changed the included side supports to maybe you don't need to.

It served me well for 6 years now! About 500 rackets. I use the automatic bases a LOT, especially the button on top, as it helps releasing the bases before the clamps, to reduce dragging the grippy part across the strings when releasing it. Definitely worth the money, as it's so much faster and more convenient than a wrench style lock/unlock.

My mate once strung a racket on it and read the tension measurement off the wrong side of the weight, and added 1.5kg by accident. So maybe also order a pulling scale to check and calibrate.

s_mair and RichF like this.
  13. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I've seen your video

It's a nice machine...just wish it was £100 cheaper...especially as I've got itchy feet racquets-wise too and quite fancy swapping my AX88Ss for some NF800s! (maybe someone will buy the AXs for the same price as the NFs! )

Edit: @thyrif your machine looks like an S70? The turntable being an oval looks more compact than the T15...unless the images on tennisman.de are not accurate? (it looks like the photo for the T12 is identical to the T15!)

If the S70 could come with the 'good clamps' then that might be perfect for me

#13 RichF, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    thyrif likes this.
  14. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    I was pretty much in the same situation looking at the same options and ended up with the T15, I'm in the UK too. The T15 is by far the most cost effective way to get the semi-automatic base clamps and some decent quality clamps. The ordering and import process was pretty straight forward so don't let that put you off. I also retro-fitted the Wise which was easy enough. My rationale in getting the drop weight version was that I'd have a backup option should the Wise ever need repair or servicing.

By the way I have the supplied badminton clamps pretty much brand new which I'd be happy swap for the universal ones should you not be able to get the badminton ones.

#14 hn8790, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    thyrif and kwun like this.
  15. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    ...just a little tip to speed up the import process. Once you get the tracking information from DHL, keep tabs on the status, I can't remember the exact wording but it's along the lines of the customs paperwork raised and payment being required. Ring up and speak to someone requesting the code you need to make the customs payment. Once you have this you can call back and use the automated service to pay the customs charges. Ordinarily a postal letter is sent containing the information you need to make payment. In my case, doing it this way I received the stringing machine before the letter arrived some days later!

RichF and kwun like this.