Drop foot

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Billiebob, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Billiebob

Billiebob Regular Member

Morning all,

I was wondering whether anyone else has suffered the following symptoms:

After playing for around one hour/two hours my right foot becomes numb (pins and needles almost) and I cannot raise my foot. I can rotate my ankle etc it's just if I plant my foot, I cannot bring my foot/toes up off the floor. This really affects movement as I can't push off from that foot.

From internet research it looks like this is called drop foot but only appears to be a temporary/permanent injury whereas in my circumstances this only occurs during badminton and only after playing for a while first.

I've had this for around a year but only sporadic, once a month it will pop up. It tends to be during matches as well so when I'm using the most energy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Any backache?

When you get the numbness in your foot , any difference between the outside and inner aspect of your foot or ankle?

Is it becoming more frequent?

Is the pushing off affected because you cannot raise your foot? Or because your foot muscles cannot push from the ground I.e. if your foot is placed on the ground, can you still push with the foot muscles ?

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Jeez this sounds like a nerve issue, I would speak to a doctor and ask for a physio

dave010 likes this.
  4. 0ay0

0ay0 New Member

Because of the nature of badminton that the player needs to stop and go very frequently to keep up the rallies, it gives a lot of stress to our muscle and nerve, especially the thigh, knee, shin, and ankle. In the case of drop foot, I had an experience with it. It was caused by my shin spints that I had trouble lifting up my foot. It was not just during or after exercise, it was a problem for a few weeks. I had inflamation on my shin which caused shin splints. Right after I had shin splints, I went to see acupuncturist. After serveral sessions of acupuncture, I was able to lift up my foot, but this recovery process kept on going for a long while. To fully recover the root cause, I then went to see a chiropractor to adjust my muscule and nerve groups. Now, I think I'm 99% recovered. What the chiropractor explained was that my muscle is too tight and tense. He helped me release the stress of my muscle and broke down the scar tissues. I don't know what your root cause is, but I would definitely recommand you to get yourself checked out by a physio and/or chiropractor. Hope that you'll get better soon!