Draw for the Beijing Olympic Games Badminton events

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by chris-ccc, Jul 8, 2008.

1. victory

victory Regular Member

The draw for 3 chinese single players and Fu/Chai are good. They are lucky. For other players are all about the same. Malaysian players draws are not very good but not very bad. At least they do not have to meet each others in early rounds.

KKK/TBH draws are not so good indeed. However if their goal is to win gold medal they must aim to beat every pairs. In fact they should take this opportunity to prove to the world they can eliminate the japanese pair which they lost twice. Their win against the Japanese will boost up their confident sky high. GO GO GO Malaysian players!

2. ybs0501

ybs0501 Regular Member

i totally agree with you! if they win then they really capable to eiminate everyone

3. FuWang

FuWang Regular Member

Actually I don't really understand about Badminton..... I've just like this game few months ago..... Do u mean (the bold), Chinese players have the chances to win the game (according to the draw)?!

4. victory

victory Regular Member

Well when I say they have good draws means their opponents/potential opponents that stand in their way are perceived as weaker than them. So they have a higher chance to win. However, in badminton especially in big tournament like Oplympic. Up set is very common. So in my humble opinion they only have marginally higher chance.

5. donvito

donvito Regular Member

lawyer
    Thanks for the update! ZB/GL vs emms/robertson is a tough one...

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    BADMINTON/Olympic Watch: Tough draw for Malaysians
    By K.M. Boopathy

2008/07/27

BRAVE words followed the Beijing Olympics badminton draw yesterday but privately, the Malaysian shuttlers must know that if they are to end the long wait for gold, it will require superhuman effort. Of the lot, only men's singles Lee Chong Wei seemed to have luck on his side as he avoided bogeyman Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia but the same didn't happen to Wong Choong Hann and the men's doubles.

In fact, Wong Choon Hann, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong were left contemplating potential first round exits as they drew players who have held the upperhand against them in recent times.

Chong Wei, seeded second, received a first round bye but faces a potentially tricky second round match against Ronald Susilo of Singapore.

Ronald sent China's Lin Dan packing in the first round in Athens 2004 but if Chong Wei's recent form and confidence are anything to go by, he will not suffer the same fate.

Victory will likely pit Chong Wei against Stanislav Pukhov of Russia with a possible quarter-final against either Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia or Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana.

That should be followed by a semi-final meeting with third seed Bao Chunlai of China, with the Malaysian 8-4 up in the head-to-head.

Further good news for Chong Wei is that while he avoided darkhorse Lee Hyun Il in the early rounds, Chunlai has to negotiate past the South Korean in the quarter-finals.

A win for Chong Wei will mean a final showdown with Lin Dan but for Wong Choong Hann, it could be over after just the first match.

The veteran plays Taufik in the second round, with both having drawn a first round bye, and it will be the second meeting between them at the Olympics. In Athens, Taufik swept past Choong Hann in the third round.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah open against All England runners-up Lee Jae Jin-Hwang Ji Man of South Korea in the first round.

Jae Jin-Ji Man beat Tan Fook-Wan Wah in their only meeting, in the quarter-finals of the Asian Badminton Championships this year.

If the veterans survive, their chances of making it to the semi-finals look good as they will meet either Indonesia's Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto or Japan's Keita Masuda-Tadashi Ohtsuka in the quarter-finals. The Malaysians have a better track record against both pairs.

Their semi-final opponents are expected to be second seeds Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun of China and Tan Fook-Wan Wah lead 6-4 in the head-to-head.

It is even trickier for Kien Keat-Boon Heong as they will be playing bogeymen Shuichi Sakamoto-Shintaro Ikeda of Japan in the first round.

Japan's No 1 pair beat Kien Keat-Boon Heong in their last two meetings.

A win will most likely pit the Malaysians against top seeds Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan in the quarter-finals, provided the Indonesians overcome China's Guo Zhendong-Xie Zhongbo in the first round.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong have not lost in four meetings with Markis-Hendra.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong are expected to face South Koreans Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae, who have a difficult first round encounter against Denmark's Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen, in the last four.

In the women's singles, eighth seed Wong Mew Choo should reach the last eight where she is expected to take on third seed Lu Lan of China.

Mew Choo has an outside chance of reaching the semi-finals as she has beaten Lu Lan twice in five previous meetings.

In the women's doubles, Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui are in for a rough ride as they take on fourth seeds Lee Kyung Wong-Lee Hyo Jung of South Korea in the first round.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    © Copyright 2008 The New Straits Times Press (M) Berhad. All rights reserved.

7. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Sin Boleh

XingAiYing over XXF in round sweet 16;)

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Based on the draw, Korean LJJ/HJM could go all the way to the finals....
    They stand more chances then their compatriots, the hot favourites JJS/LYD

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

ah fook and ah wah surely will gave them a hard and revenging time in the 1st round 1st..:rolleyes::)
    dont underestimate our uncles..
    i believe they can do it!:cool:

10. george@chongwei

hmm..1st round lee chong wei vs ronald..
    hmmmmmmmmmm:p

11. indra

indra Regular Member

Hm...hm...hm...I sense that LD's journey will end at the hand of PSH

I am not sure if LCW can pass SDK this time. SDK is now a monster ready to "swallow" LCW

XD...dissaster for Gao Ling/ Zheng Bo....

Again ...another disaster for No. 1 WS who have to meet Lyliana / Vita.....

Overall, it's a good draw for Ina

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Gotta love indra. I sure hope the upsets roll

13. george@chongwei

hmm, sandy is surely a very busy man now!:D

14. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Only agree with one prediction and it ain't the alpha or omega :D

15. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Ha..ha.. Indra, the soothsayer cum psychic is back!!! Looks like B'cers are more anxious than the players for the end results. I shall hope and wait patiently and see.....the results

cheers

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wah, our Tommy has turned over a new leaf! No more Singapore bashing? :eek:

It will be a good omen for all our Singaporean shuttlers! ;):):D

17. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

my take on INA's chances

If the news about TH's dengue fever is true, then it sounds like karma to me for TH's arrogance against PBSI etc. I still hope that he will recover though, but he'll need to dig deep to get pass WCH and then Vietnamese dark horse Nguyen in R2.

Sony has an outside chance but I would be happy with another bronze from him. MK/HS will have to be in their absolute top best to progress to the finals as they got a very tough draw indeed.
    Maria Kristin should get good playing experinece against Tine in round 1/16.
    VM/LN should forget about WD and concentrate on XD, where INA's biggest chance for a gold lies.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Can Vita Marissa win both the WD and XD Badminton Olympic Gold medals ?

:D:D:D Don't you be surprised if VM can win both the WD and XD Gold medals. :D:D:D

#338 chris-ccc, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha...i wont be surprise...^^

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    KOR players have yet to win an Olympic MS Badminton Gold medal

Fans of KOR will be very pleased if PSH and/or LHI could arrive at the MS Final (best if they are to meet each other there). KOR players have yet to win an Olympic MS Badminton Gold medal.

Many hope that the MS Badminton Gold would go to KOR or MAS this year, at Beijing 2008.

Up to now, the MS Badminton Gold medals have only been won by INA(twice), CHN(once) and DEN(once). So it could be 5th time lucky for KOR or MAS. :):):)