Do “control” strings benefit advanced players more?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by pootisfoib, Jan 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Do “control” oriented strings benefit advanced players more? Beginners and lower intermediate players who are still working on their fundamentals usually cannot do highly precise shots like slices, tumbling net shots, trick shots, deception, etc. Would these lower level players even get much out of strings like Aerobite, Nanogy 99, etc.? Would they be better off just using “durability” or “repulsion” strings at an appropriate tension? Maybe some lower level players can tell the difference in feeling between different strings, but if they aren’t able to get the most out of that string is it even worth it? Would it be like giving a beginner a top end flagship racket?

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I'd say it depends more on the Racquet than the strings. Say a racquet would give you 80% of an effect, and the remaining 20% would be the strings.

Some models of Yonex strings are described as "slippery" by players, so there definitely is a difference in feel when you do net shots, drops, clears, smashes etc.

I would encourage all players to experiment with different strings and tensions until they find their preferred combination.

I like BG80 and BG66 Ultimax strings the most. Still trying to figure out if I like aerosonic or not. On paper it has almost the same stats as BG66U.

Seeing as Control is the most important part of net shots, short serves and slice / reverse slice shots I would say advanced players would make more use of control focused strings than beginner / lower intermediate players.

pootisfoib likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would say it’s quite an individual preference. And agree that players should experiment and try. Preferences may change with the change in the skill level.

I would also say be wary of using the thinner strings if you’re a beginner or lower intermediate because they break more frequently and that’s annoying.

BadmintonDave likes this.
  4. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

We must try a lot of strings to know what is the best string for us.
    I tried big three strings but their produce more and more, I tried budget strings too.

But for me LN no.1 is so good with price lower than others good specs.
    If I don't mind price, BG 80 still an alien in string comparison

#4 Kwarevo, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Is that a Li-Ning string?

6. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

Aerosonic is godly, durability not so bad if i keep it at 26lb. I also like bg66um and bg80. The sound and feel from bg80 is amazing. But if i have to pick one, I'd choose aerosonic.

7. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Li Ning No. 1? Yes. A very popular string too. People say it's like a more durable BG66UM.

#7 pootisfoib, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023