disobedient kids - what and how?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by lkomarci, Mar 12, 2013.

1. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

Hey folks!

Hahah Unusual thread this today I guess :D So, I'm 28 years old and I've become in charge of conditioning the kids in my club (a group of 6-10, ages ~11-16 ), pro bono of course.

I've ran into some lets call them problems with two young lads that are really disobedient, while most of the other kids do their best these two they fool around, they stall, untie their shoelaces every other minute or so while doing footwork and just don't respect the authority. Well, obviously there's a lack of authority.

Thing is, I'm trying to avoid yelling. I know footwork isn't exactly FUN but they really lack discipline. Mind you, I'm not expecting too much from them, I'm not killing them with exercises that aren't appropriate for their age. So I decided to assign extra minutes of footwork only for the two of them at the end of the condition training while all the rest of the group was resting, sipping water and toweling. I can't say that I liked that, but I had to raise my voice even to make them do the "punishment round".

How would you approach the problem? I don't want the trainings to become a negative thing to any of the kids but I don't see how I can address the problem without being really strict at times. Because if you think about it, them two being disobedient and giving only 60% into trainings isn't really fair to the rest of the kids sweating and doing their best.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps they're not interested in being there? Therefore talk to their parents, boot them out and refund their money. :p

3. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Try separate them. Have 2 groups doing different things at the same time.

Seems like they are trying to outdo each other in a bad way. Maybe should try the "Do as I do" instead of standing there giving instructions.

Personally don't think singling them out for the extra round is a good idea. I believe lot of pep talks and Hi-5s would be more motivating.:D

4. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

are they 'disobedient' beacuse they feel they're too good for the exercises? are they skilled or better than the rest? if you can spare extra time, arrange to have a 1-1 match with the kids...some get selected each week 'randomly'..when it's time for these two kids, as usual with the others, give them some advantages (you won't smash or execute deep drops, or if they reach 7pts before you reach 21, they win etc ) so they think they can win, and when it's time for these two, show them who's boss and expose their weaknesses to them.. so they can feel the connection between hardwork offcourt and performance oncourt... they may begin to appreciate the routines - and your hardwork - better!