Dislocated shoulder

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ben Zhang, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Ben Zhang

Ben Zhang New Member

I recently dislocated my shoulder for the first time yesterday. Not sure how or why it happened, since I was reaching back for a shot while in a tournament match and it popped out, and I didn't fall or anything. I tried moving my arm after around 10 seconds after the injury, and it popped back in by itself. I haven't gotten any imaging done yet, but I don't think there is permanent damage, and it is now only stiff and sore. I continually iced it immediately after the injury, but continued playing in the tournament, which was probably pretty stupid. I've seen a physician, and he said it should be fine, but I should probably get an x-ray. Do you guys have any tips to help recover quicker, and any estimates on when I should be able to play again?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If the shoulder truly dislocated, then there is a good likelihood that it could again.
    You did the right thing with the ice. Please rest it from swinging sports for a couple weeks.
    The question is why did it happen? Playing a lot of badminton over years can lead to stresses and muscle imbalances which can damage the rim of your joint and make it unstable.

Strongly suggest you see Sports Med doctor or a good Physio, familiar with shoulder injury, to see if they can pinpoint the cause. A good exam by someone like that is better than 10 x-rays.

Good luck!