Detailed pics of "fake" MP 90

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by loverlionus, Dec 19, 2002.

1. loverlionus

loverlionus Regular Member

I got it for P 3,500, which is around US$ 68. I later heard from others in our club that this was pretty high because others got it in the P 1,500 to P 2,000 range (US$ 28-38).

2. loverlionus

The story behind the racket

I'm just a beginner, I started playing last October. My first racket was a Wilson Match Tour, a real beginner's racket made of what feels like steel ("lightweight titanium alloy" it says on the shaft, buy 1 take 1 with a bag for around $ 17 at a sports store). I was pretty happy with it, learning the basic strokes by playing. I even had it re-strung with BG-65, but the stringer was afraid to string it at 20 lbs., so it was strung at 18 lbs. Well, the tension was pretty low and soft, but still an improvement over the original string. Unfortunately after a couple of games the shaft became loose against the handle, so you could sort of twist it and it moves. I definitely couldn't continue using it so that's when I started loooking for a new racket.

A relative is a member of a club at work and when I saw her Yonex I was impressed (I didn't know this site back then). So I asked where she got it and for how much. When I learned the price (it was about a third of the store prices) I asked her to buy 1 from me. Since she bought from an instructor in one of the clinics she attended, she had to contact him first. It took around three weeks to get the racket and by that time I had discovered this site (the best badminton site, imho) and pretty much had an idea of what a fake should look like.

When I first saw the racket, I said "OMG! It's a fake!" and I asked my relative to return it. She tried, but as with these types of transactions, the seller refused to accept the racket back. I couldn't put the burden completely on my relative, so we split the cost between us (definitely very kind of her). So that's how I ended up with this racket.

3. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    I see, you know the common price i saw for the MP90 is about PHP10,000+ , pretty expensive compared to yours, its a big gap

4. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Hi Loverlionus,

The only place i saw a MP99 SP is in Tobys (megamall) and they sell it for P13,000 which is way too expensive. I got mine in Japan (a MP90JP) for a little less than P8,000 and JPs are supposed to be a little more expensive than SPs. I have never seen a black/gray colored MP90/MP99. They should be yellow in color. Get the real one, its much better I can assure you.

Baddie

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I mean, on the cone, the serial # end with CH, which is fine. But the base cap it's another serial # end with SP. I never saw anything like this before.

Or, actually, just because I never noticed that?

6. loverlionus

Yes LazyBuddy, it was definitely weird to have a CH serial no. on the cone and an SP one one the end cap. Another big factor in my thinking it is fake is the ordinary looking grommets. Aren't MPs supposed to have different kinds of grommets on some parts of the frame?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Plus the serial # on the base cap ended with SP is surely not in DDMMXX format.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: The story behind the racket

So, what kinda racket that ur relative was using? The same racket? Or, a real Yonex? How much did her pay for her racket, if that one is real?

BTW, can u give us a review on this racket? Actually, if u really like it, it would not be a bad deal at all. U actually got a replacement racket, which fits for ur play, and save some $$$ as well.

9. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

I have one too but different

i have a fake yonex mp 99 which looks exactly like it. Its made from fleet its called the fleet mp 9900 i have it stringed on bg-70 on 21 pounds

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: I have one too but different

I would rather call ur racket a "clone" than fake. I think fake means, it has the exact brand and model name being printed on somewhere on the racket.

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    well just from the model # it would seem like a fake one since I think mp90 is only JP and not CH, SP, or any other codes, which should be mp99 instead. fake or not, how does it play? if you like it, it's a great racquet. :D

12. zerochillnet

zerochillnet Regular Member

yeah i like it a lot and its half the price of the yonex mp 99

13. loverlionus

Racket review

I've played around 30 games with the racket, mostly doubles save for around 5 singles games. Based on my extensive history of using rackets (two:D ), I can say that this is a lot better than my first one. It takes less effort to hit the shuttle and I think it has improved my overall game. I can hit clears to the baseline more consistently, the drives seem to be faster, and even the drop shots are more accurate (after adjusting, the first tries were really way up and perfect set ups for smashes).

So I'm happy with the racket, but I'm still looking forward to having the real thing.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's good. so don't worry about the racquet so much.

At least you didn;t pay so much for a racquet you don;t like. And if you are playing mainly doubles, you are going to get those dreaded racquet clashes anyway. Much better to have clashes with a cheaper racquet than an expensive one.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Totally agree. As a 85% double player, every time I got on the court, I was like, "is this the last game for my beloved racket??":eek: :(

16. AE_SHADOW

AE_SHADOW Regular Member

MP99 gourmets are rounded off on the edging and there is a 6 piece bared slightly at the bottom of the head on both sides...

daym i'll get a pick of the "REAL" MP99 SP... with a broke top though hahahaha

17. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

and the shaft indicated as mp90sp! i think mp90 should be jp and sp am i right guys?

18. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

oops! i mean mp 90 should be jp and not sp

19. AE_SHADOW

AE_SHADOW Regular Member

to my knowledge, yes

20. loverlionus

The end

I think the replies about the racket clashing and breaking jinxed my racket and it finally happened. We were playing doubles last week, the opponent tapped the bird over the net. I moved in and raised my racket to tap it back. My partner moved forward at the same time, lunged and smacked his racket right into mine. The racket broke at a maybe half an inch above the 3 o'clock position. His racket, a Talbot Arrowspeed 660, was unscratched. Thus ending the life story of this racket.

In the interest of "science", I experimented on my broken racket. I tore apart the t-joint to see if there was an internal bar. Not surprisingly, there was none. What is interesting is the shaft and frame is made up of what seems to be carbon graphite. I also took a look at the inside of the handle cover to see if there was a bar code, no luck there either. The end cap was made of 2 pieces much like original ones (the white piece for the "YY" and the green piece for the background).

So now I'm going back to my old Wilson steel racket and I figure I might as well improve my strokes first with this one before buying another racket.

Thanks for all those who replied to this thread.