Defense posture, feet placement, Doubles.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vinay_s, Dec 10, 2015.

1. vinay_s

vinay_s Regular Member

self employed
    Hi BC,

Lately I have found myself a bit confused as to how to position myself while defending. So I watched a few pro match videos in slo-mo, snapshots etc and came to the conclusion that usually but not everyone & also not everytime :

the partner facing the straight smash from a corner; positions him/her self facing the tramlines. Can anyone explain the benefit of this posture / position (and also if this is the correct posture especially when in right side court for right handed player who would have his/her non-racket arm foot forward) ?
    Attaching image.

uploadfromtaptalk1449814594954.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1449814634875.jpg

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The pictures you show are simple to explain: it is easiest for most players to defend when they position their body to face the incoming shuttle. This means the shuttle will most likely come towards them, rather than across them. Alternatively, if you always keep your racket foot slightly in front, that will work fine as well. In order to improve you need to simply practice - as you get good, you will start doing what feels most comfortable. For now, try to have the racket foot slightly in front, OR face the shuttle. Both will serve you well.

The cross court defender may stand to favour defending shots that come down the middle (meaning they are more vulnerable to cross court smashes) but most players will assume that the smash will go straight or down the middle as these are the most tactically sound choices.

There is no difference in stance depending on whether you are left handed or right handed.

Good luck.

3. vinay_s

vinay_s Regular Member

self employed