De-painting your badminton racquet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DuckFeet, Nov 3, 2014.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

+/- 1g?!?! :eek:
    You really should get a more accurate digital scale. ;) It's only around $25 from eBay for a 100g or 200g +/- 0.01g...

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Aye its on the wishlist but that's a few packs / half a reel so I tend to buy string first and go to nearest gram. Nearest mm on grip size though. Nearest 5mm on bp.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You can get digital kitchen scales for £5-£10 in places like Robert Dyas and supermarkets mate. They're usually good for 1-2 decimal places.

Oh and you should be able to measure BP more accurately with a tape measure... free from ikea!! Nearest 5mm is not good enough! lol

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Oh and hats off for havings the balls to mod your racquet... looks great! You now have the most chip resistant racquet around!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Chip resistant? Lol... one clash and it'll be toast! :eek:

Oh, and yeah, why can't you measure to +/-1mm, DuckFeet?

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Visor don't make me hit a demo racquet to test it! And what would you guess for new max tension?

I balance racquet on my finger so I'm happy with 5mm steps, especially as you'd lose 1mm per chip by your 0.2g rule?

I'll look for new scales...

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Max tension: probably best to use thin strings like ZM62, then you can string at lower tensions for the same stringbed stiffness, and not stress the frame too much. Just watch those grommets though, change or turn them as needed as they'll be the ones stressed instead.

Bp: use a straight edge like a ruler or something. I don't think Panda Dink would approve using the finger... ;)

Scale: here's a good store. Get the one with good ratings and comes with calibrating weights.

http://stores.ebay.ca/anyvolume/200...91471016&_sid=943073316&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yep, chip resistant as it will not have anything to chip. No unsightly paint imperfections!! ;)

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Finally getting to see what all the fuss was about (pics didn't load in mobiel browser :D)! That does look quite good indeed :cool: ... "Relieved" to read your bp measurements are accurate to 5mm :p, was wondering how adding 3-4 grams of string/ a stringjob normally shifts the bp up by ~10mm whilst sanding down 3-4 grams of paint brings it back down by 20mm! (any overgrip on?)

#29 demolidor, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Congratulations on a neat experiment. :)

And thank you. Because now I have something to show when my wife says I'm not using my time wisely. ("Look. At least I'm not as crazy as this guy!") ;)

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Yes to overgrip. 2 g08 on bare wood I think. I only notice 5mm move when adding string though IIRC.

...which makes even less sense compared to my 20mm shift. Time to remeasure!

Lol thanks [MENTION=32159]Fidget[/MENTION]. Lunch hour well spent when working from home methinks.

#31 DuckFeet, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I just finished sanding mine! I haven't strung it yet, but here are the specs "dry".

Original racket: grip removed and replaced with a 0.2 overlapped g11 ultimate grip
    87.2g 295mm (wow that replacement grip brought the balance point down a lot (308-295))

Modified racket: sanded at the 12, 6, 9, 3 o'clock positions
    86.2g, 290mm

The sanding was very light and I only removed enough paint to just barely scuff the kevlar. I think I'll be fine without a layer of wax or coating to prevent fraying.

Seeing as sanding the frame was a real pain in the butt, I think I might sand the shaft in the future if I want to remove some weight. The balance point shouldn't change too much as I would be removing the paint from both below and above the balance point.

Time to string it tomorrow and play on Thursday!

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Pictures please! I definitely wouldn't leave the scuffed bare Kevlar but let us know how it goes.
    Sanding the shaft will maintain/increase the head heavy balance, but that's the bit I wanted rid of!

Strangely 285mm tpk feels like 300mm BS12. Cannot explain it, must be to do with drag.

How's yours on the spin test Bob?

Need a volunteer to clash and see if durability is affected. I'm happy to string my crosses to 26lb. Then maybe 28lb.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

You'll have to start weighing the head weight... once you get your precision digital scale. BP alone doesn't mean much if the total weight is vastly different.

15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think I made a note of the original headweight. You can have the +/-1g post weight loss. I think 41 down to 37 as all weight lost from the head.

Got eyes on a 86/305 for a less drastic attempt, and 88/307 for stripping completely bare and then clearcoat/varnish.

Couldn't put it down today. Borrowed BS12 and rev with 69c to test both lasted 5 minutes tops.

And a borrowed tpk that's going on a diet for its return to owner.

I've opened a can of worms... Probably not advisable to copy me until further testing done!

16. visor

visor Regular Member

37.5g head weight is my favorite... :)

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Also just a thought, if you're aiming for a specific head wt, remember to take into account the wt of the grommets when you're sanding down the frame.

That's something for me to do next... Weigh the grommets...

18. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Zm62+grommets = 5g. If my scales are to be trusted. So about 1-1.5, but you go to decimal places so I'm not really helping!

19. visor

visor Regular Member

No, you are not... :p

20. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

My racket looks pretty terrible to be honest.

I think I'm going to spend a little more time sanding to get cleaner paint/non-painted borders before posting pictures.

I'm REALLY contemplating sanding the shaft. Maybe it'll be thinner than Yonex's "thinnest shaft ever".