Day 5: QuarterFinals

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by hcyong, May 1, 2006.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thomas Cup

China v England - No fight, China can rest Lin, Chen and Fu/Cai and still win 3-0

Indonesia v Japan - I cannot see Indonesia dropping a point 3-0

Denmark v India - Same here 3-0

Korea v Malaysia - This is the only TC match that deserves attention
    Expected lineup:
    Lee CW v Lee HI - CW is in danger of rustiness, HI has played against Taufik and Joppien and should be warmed up well now. I still give the edge to CW.
    Chan CM/Koo KK v Jung JS/Lee YD - Similarly, the Malaysians may be rusty. Jung/Lee has shown great form so far. I give the match to the Koreans.
    Wong CH v Shon SM - No much to say, except that it's Wong's to lose
    Choong TF/Lee WW v Hwang JM/Han SH - Choong/Lee should be too good for these young Koreans
    Hafiz v Park SH - If it comes down to this match, Hafiz should be able to deliver.

Prediction: 3-1 to MAS (if not, then 3-2)

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Uber Cup

China v Singapore - Who can blame you for thinking it's a straight 3-0? But in fact, Singapore has been fielding Jiang Yanmei as third singles with success. Against China's Jiang Yanjiao or Lu Lan, there is a possibility of a point. But I bet against it. 3-0.

Hong Kong v Germany - interesting
    Wang Chen v Xu Huaiwen - WC slight edge there
    Yip PY v J Schenk - German
    Wong SY v P Overzier - German
    Louisa/Chau HW v Schenk/Grether - German
    Wang Chen/Yip PY v German 2nd pair - German
    I think the Germans have too much depth here. Maybe Yippy can turn the tables, but I predict 3-1 to GER

Taiwan v Korea - intriguing (both sides have to field their best)
    Cheng SC v Seo YH - Taiwan slight edge
    Chien YC v Hwang HY - difficult to say
    Huang CH v Lee YH - should be Korea
    The availability of Jun JY also gives Korea another option.
    Chien/Cheng v Lee KW/Lee HJ - Korea
    Chou/Ku v Hwang/Ha - Korea
    Ra Kyung Min may be fielded but I doubt it.
    I predict Korea 3-1, but won't be utterly shocked if Taiwan wins 3-2.

Netherlands v Japan - exciting
    There is a question mark for me here because I am not sure if Yao Jie is in the fray. If she is, surely they would have let her play at least a match to warm up. Since she hasn't played, I will assume she will not be fielded.
    Mia v Mori - Dutch
    Meulendijks v Hirose - Japanese
    van Cutsen v Yonekura - Japanese
    If Yao is fielded, she will play against Hirose and the complexion of the whole tie changes.
    ??/?? v Shiota/Ogura
    ??/?? v Akao/Matsuda
    It's hard to guess who the Dutch will field for doubles. They like to switch things around a lot. But with Mia and Meulendijks around, I wouldn't put it beyond them to get a point here. So, I guess Japan win 3-1 or 3-2, singles will save the day if Yao Jie is not fielded.

3. event

event Regular Member

Doubles is so hard to call because so many of the men's pairs - Candra/Sigit, Lee/Choong, Fu/Cai, Alven/Luluk, Chan/Koo, Lee/Jung - are so inconsistent and yet capable of such brilliance. This is why Malaysia is a contender despite their doubles pairs having a lower ranking than China's. I agree that Choong/Lee should be too good but you have to watch those "should"'s. Same with Hafiz. Park dropped a game to his German opponent today. That doesn't tell us much, though. I hope the Koreans take this but I like seeing Malaysia do well, too, so I'm not going to be bummed if it doesn't happen. Especially in a rebuilding year.

4. event

event Regular Member

Hwang has been injured and Lee is on a roll. She beat Cheng SC in the ABC and I would expect to see her again in the 2nd singles. She is the only Korean I know who's beaten Cheng SC but I doubt they'll put her as 1st singles. They haven't even given Lee Hyun-jin a shot yet, given that Korea was in the toughest group (apart from England's which would have been tough had Hallam, Kellog, and Emms been healthy). I think they'll continue to alternate Seo and Hwang at first singles to keep Hwang rested and to capitalize on Lee and Jun's advantages over the weaker players. Having said that, I think Taiwan is one of the few teams from which Korea is capable of taking a point at first singles. Japan is another but the chances are even slimmer. Maybe I shouldn't be so hasty. I just checked the IBF site and Seo has a 4-0 record against Cheng. Still, Seo has been struggling lately. I think I agree that Cheng has the edge.

Doubles is a different story, however. The Korean women are consistent and you don't get the staggering defeats that you get in the men's game. I think we're looking at 3-1 to Korea.
    The IBF website says Yao stayed home because of an injury. So your original analysis can stand.

#4 event, May 1, 2006
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ubercup:

-Yao jie is injured and isn't playing
    -most likely doubles are Mia and karina de Wit. Karina is a good player and the two ahve sweeped threw the opposition with reltive ease s far
    -second double is probably Meulendijks and van Cutsen. wich won the Dutch-championship...

go Dutch!

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With LD having a bit trouble in this tourny, I don't think CHN will or even should rest him. He's trouble is not too much stamina related, but more likely the scoring system itself.

A good match here right before the big showdown with T.H. should help LD's performance in semi. :rolleyes:

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think Taufik and Candra/Sigit will not play on Wednesday. So, the lineup will be:
    Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto, Simon Santoso, Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan, Markus Wijanu.

Japan first singles and first doubles could perhaps sneak a surprise....but Indonesia should still win by 3-1. I hope to see Markis/Hendra feature in the tie....at least that will give them an experience should their service be needed in the expected tie against Team China.

Markus Wijanu again plays the role as a cheer-leader (same as Wiempie Mahardi in the 2004 Finals) as he does not even play a single game.

HK Cable TV will have live coverage from quarter-finals. According to their schedule, the live telecast will start from 11am Wednesday (probably China vs England or the Uber Cup match between HK and Germany -- which should generate some interests). At 4pm, there will be another live telecast, most likely the match of the round between Korea and Malaysia. I will definitely be watching the second tie.

#7 badMania, May 1, 2006
  8. thiery

thiery Regular Member

LCW not only had won all his matches. He is also yet to drop a single set since the 21 point system is used. So, LCW can be expected to give one point for Malaysia......Hooray!

CCM/KKK is hard to say. The Korean pairs are good.

The rest of the ties shall be in M'sian way. Hope so.

The wait is too long. M'sia shall win this Thomas Cup.

9. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

Li Mao was Korea coach before and he knows them very well. He may come out with some strategies for our players. similarly, Tan Kim Her is with Korea now and he is expecting to do the same in Korea team on how to tackle Msian doubles.

10. alloh

alloh Regular Member

I think MAS can beat KOR in 3-1.
    MAS had poor draw if compare to CHN, DEN & INA; which there are "comfirmed" to semi-finals with easy match at quarter-finals.

11. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    I think KOR will win even though I support Msia.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

My Prediction:

China v England - China win 3-0. I don't think China will rest Lin Dan. China always listed their top players even when they meet easy team in group A.

Indonesia v Japan - If Indo played their best team, probably 3-0. But If they rest Taufik , Chandra/Sigit, Japan will had a chance to score in single and double. Very tricky. Indo should field their best player.

Denmark v India - 3-0

Korea v Malaysia -

Match of the day

Lee CW v Lee HI - LHI win cause he had better record against Chong Wei. But this is a team event. Both players had big pressure to give one point to their country. And if LHI lost, Korea chance is doom.

Chan CM/Koo KK v Jung JS/Lee YD - Korea win

Wong CH v Shon SM - WCH win. SSM had a really worst year meanwhile WCH still at top of his game.

Choong TF/Lee WW v Hwang JM/Han SH - Malay win but sometimes CTF/LWW are pretty incosistent when playing a really important match. (Remember two AE final?) Anything can happen here.

Hafiz v Park SH -
    Hafiz should win.

Prediction: 3-2 to MAS

13. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Uber Cup prediction:

China v Singapore - 3-0 without a doubt.

Hong Kong v Germany - Very tough match

Wang Chen v Xu Huaiwen - WC win

Yip PY v J Schenk - Schenk win

Wong SY v P Overzier - 50:50 here. Petra didn't do very well here.

Louisa/Chau HW v Schenk/Grether - German

Wang Chen/Yip PY v German 2nd pair - HK will win

German will win 3-2 but it all depend on Wong Sin Yee, can she turn the match and made HK win 3-2?

Taiwan v Korea - Match of the day

KOrea had more depth in doubles. So they only need one point from single. But Taiwan first double play realy well here so maybe they can win against Lee/Lee?

Korea win3-2 but it also can be turn around a 3-2 for Taiwan

Netherlands v Japan - Match Of The Day

Mia v Mori - Dutch

Meulendijks v Hirose - All depend on this match.

If Judith win, Netherland had very big chance to win and vice versa. Judith already back to her usual condition. Pretty good so far. Meanwhile Eriko who had a very top performance in late 2004 and beginning of 2005, didn't do pretty well in end of 2005 and 2006.

van Cutsen v Yonekura - Japan win

Karina/Rachel v Shiota/Ogura Japan win

Mia/Judith v Akao/Matsuda Dutch win

I predict Dutch will played their strong doubles in D2 so they had the best chance to win a point from double and sacrifices first double.

Each team had 50:50 opportunity to win. But because it played in japan and the crowd will cheer for them, Japan win 3-2

#13 hcpoirot, May 1, 2006
  14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I agree.....Mal has to play Korea to advance to semis while others have easy opponents. If Mal is able to overcome fatigue and advances to finals, they deserve the title more than anyone else regardless what the end result is !

15. sen

sen Regular Member

The most anticipated match in quarter final, M'sia vs Korea.

I have a feeling that since there are too much expectation on Malaysia, there could be a surprise.

16. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Korea can play with nothing to lose....Mal will be under tremendous pressure, especially after hearing the comment from LYB. Lets wish them all the best !!!

17. msians20

msians20 Regular Member

yerp..couldn't agree more with u. Lets just hope for the best and prepare for the worst :)

Ganbate! :D

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ya, i hope MAL does well so we might able to squeeze a smile out of Li Mao:D

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That'll happen when hell freezes over

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I want to youch on the JAP v INA match. Most of you are already handing the tie to INA, but hang on a moment. INA are playing with fire if they rest Taufik and Chandra/Sigit. If anyone has noticed, Japan's been playing really well. Despite the 5-0 loss to Denmark, there were many close games. Throw in the home crowd and you have a potential upset in the making. At #1, 2 & 3 Singles respectively, Sony, Simon and Markus are very vulnerable. At #Doubles, Markis/Hendra are hardly experienced at the TC level and who knows, they could succumb to pressure too. I would give the only sure point to Alven/Luluk.

I sure hope INA aren't counting their chickens and looking ahead to the SF because they are not out of the woods yet with JAP. They have to play Taufik at minimum to get them off to a good start and boost the team. JAP are an underrated team and should not be overlooked. Personally if I was looking for an upset, this would be the match. INA team management better get their playing order right.