[Data] Associations Standing for Gold Medals of the IBF World Grand Prix 2003

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Xu Zhen, Nov 16, 2003.

1. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Not so JChen! Taiwan or Chinese Taipei doesn't get very much government support for badminton (similar to Canada and the US), and thus it's very difficult for players to make a worthwhile living playing badminton there. Taiwanese students told me this because I asked them why Chinese Taipei was so weak compared to the other asian power houses. Japan is also another asian country that gives very little support for their professional players. So considering that their players are dealing with similar problems as our Canadian and US national players, I believe they are EXTREMELY good to be able to play near par with the worlds best.

2. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    From the table of WGP 2003, Chien Yu-Hsiu won the mens single for Chinese Taipei
    in US open, not Fung Permadi. Fung Permadi has retired for a period of time. The governoment of Taiwan pay much more attention on basketball and baseball. Although a lot of people play badminton in Taiwan, the governoment doesn't has any plan to supporting this sport! The Chinese Taipei open of this year also support by a company which manufacturing the mother board of pc. To be a player in Taiwan is hard to makeing a living........:(

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We have to accept the fact that it is never easy to beat the rest of the international field. Everything must gel together at the most crucial time. With so many events coming after one another every month, it is tough for the players to "peak" at the right time, so they have to choose their events judiciously.

Actually in singles, Wong Choon Hann has done relatively well. But my admiration really goes to the top 'veteran' doubles pair of Choong Tan fook and Lee Wan Wah who have beaten the very good doubles pairs of Ha Tae-kwon/Kim Dong-moon; Flandi Limpele/Eng Hian and their Danish counterparts.