Current Badminton Commentators on TV

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bbn, Oct 1, 2010.

1. cockamamy

cockamamy New Member

Engineer
    Yeah, Gillian's prejudice is especially obvious when a white person or team is playing. Was watching the WBF XD finals last night and she was laying it thick on the British team. Same thing when the Danes were playing in earlier rounds. I didn't pay for sports cable subscription to hear her lobesided comments. Its so off-putting. I have to resort to muting the tv. Same goes for the other commentators. They should ban Morten from commenting when the Danes are playing. He gets too emotional. If there was a different channel streaming badminton, I would have switched over to it. Unfortunately, there's no other option for my cable company.

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

any channel can view with asian ex country players as commentator?

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Have you noticed that Gill could be a bit repetitive? Perhaps this is okay for those who rarely watch badminton matches, but for those who collect great badminton matches, they would notice that her commentating is almost the same. Don't get me wrong. I still believe that she's a good commentator. Not only does she know the tactics, she also explains the rules of the game, the psychological situation of the players, and the history/tournament records/standing of the players.

Another thing that I like about her is that whenever she's partnered with an experienced (in terms of badminton) commentator (eg, Morten Frost), she asks questions about tactics, strategies, etc, which would open up an interesting topic.

I haven't been hearing John Burgese commentate in a badminton match. Although I heard him when I chanced upon Sepak Takraw. Why? They doesn't BWF find him enthusiastic anymore?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am ok with guest commentators, or commentators commentating in their local stations having such bias. afterall, i honestly don't expect a chinese or malaysian commentator being very neutral when commentating in their own tv station.

but GC is working for an international agency where the footage and the commentating are broadcasted to all over the world, English speaking or not, European or not. and she gotta know that too. and to me that's really unprofessional.

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Both M Frost and I Wright are excellent analysts of the game that make me wonder why they didn’t give us some world beaters. My current favourite is I Wright, love his calm and gentle way of commentating.

G Clark is just like home to home, you know exactly what you are getting, everything are where they supposed to be with no surprises even when you go home in the middle of the day unexpectedly. Frost and Wright are like those luxury exotic hotels in far away places and John Burgess is the Travelodge down the road.

I think some of you are a bit unfair to Gill Clark regarding her repertories of phrases and bias. I don’t have the exact figures in hand but let’s just do some rough numbers. Let’s say she had been in the job for 15 years (probably on the conservative side, give or take a few years) and with 10 tournaments a year commentating from QFs onward. On average of 2.5 games per match that will be over 10,000 games. Say 35 points per game (21-14), sounds reasonable? A grand total of 367,500 points to commented on.

Well, you try to come up with something new, exciting and neutral during all those 357,500 points!

So, I say Gill, thank you and keep up with the good work. Excellent, absolutely unbelievable! Oh my world, how on earth she did that, is that really possible? ​

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

forgot to mention that Zhao Tingting on CCTV with such sexy and cultivated voice. i could switch off the screen and listen to her all night long.

7. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    COMMENTATORS .. are 'supposedly' to be NEUTRAL in their work,
    it is their so called work ethic.

but i am stuck with commentators who always side with certain players.

esp - Gillian clarke and a guy, cant catch his name. they seems to be EXTREMELY PRO LCW. ( note the caps ) , even go to the extend of , i'd say super idolising this ( so-called W no.1 ) player.

if they idolised a player,do it in your own personal capacity - not over the mass media -broadcasting to all over the whole big world !!

said once ( cant remember the event ) and keep repeating...

"oh,he's my Pegasus,glides and slides 'effortlessly' to destroy his each and every opponent"..:mad::mad:

but,not when LCW faces LD....cos they knows the W no.1 is only no.1 in numbers only.

( my posts are always removed by mods )

8. event

event Regular Member

Do you mean doing commentary in English? Of course, there are Chinese and Korean commentators who were former top players. In this thread, Zhao Tingting and Zhao Jinhua have been mentioned. In Korea, they've had past All England champions Kim Dong Moon, Bang Soo Hyun, Kim Moon Soo, Lee Deuk Choon, Lee Dong Soo, and Ha Tae Kwun, all in the past 4 years.

As for doing commentary in English, I seem to remember someone mentioning a former Indonesian great doing a little cameo. 2005 WC perhaps?

9. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

thanks... but here at my place.... everytime we only listen to gillian clark.. n the same usual few.... very few Chinese and Korean commentators... or maybe there is.... i didnt get to see it...

10. event

event Regular Member

Those commentators I was talking about appear only on domestic broadcasts. I don't know if you ever see CCTV-5 there but I doubt you'd ever see the Korean stations in Singapore.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Cause they were nonsense? Good luck finding neutral commentators anywhere period. Only time they're neutral is when they don't know a first thing about the sport or either team.
    "My, that Messi fella was slightly better than the fella in goal when he was on the ball ... a few seconds ago, at this temperature and humidity on this surface at this time of day against these opponents with this particular ball no offence to anyone listening. It could very well be the other way around next time so cheer up everyone" :rolleyes:.

Maybe it's the fact the majority can actually understand her ;). Are you going to tell me the Chinese commentators are completely neutral or any other local. Yeah, yeah "international feed and all" (why does Astro broadcast in English anyway? "Status"?) but let us know when in any other sport the number 1 doesn't getting praised (women's tennis excluded :p)

Personally I agree with GC having become repetitive as mentioned above by others but that's because she is practically the only consistent commentator over the years and she has to cater to the newest of viewers at the same time. If you've listened long enough you know exactly what is coming up :D. Having a knowledgeable co next to her is definitely a must and not just some fill-in.
    And also I've mentioned in the past, dual audio with the second a court sound only feed would be nice and personally preferred :cool: ...

A thumbs up to AlanY's post #25

#31 demolidor, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  12. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    haha,or it is prolly she's talking to herself... lol..

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

... or don't care about either ;)

Haha I'm sure it'll happen sometime sooner or later after a 5 hour solo session.That Kaufmann sidekick already did when Frost was his co but decided to discuss something with GC instead on the side :D

#33 demolidor, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Trust they don't care is much more true than don't know a thing abut the sport or the two opposing sides.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

An article on GC.

Clark holds court as respected voice of badminton

I can still clearly recall the deep and reverberating voices of Hasbullah Awang and Rahim Razali in their commentary over radio and television when Malaysia last won the Thomas Cup in 1992.
    But now, there is one distinctive voice that many Malaysians have grown very accustomed to – that of Gillian Clark on Astro’s Supersport channel. With her steady and calm voice, she passionately engages and captivates her television audience with her witty and succinct descriptions of all the drama, intensity, thrills, spills, joy and agony unfolding on court.
    And the former English player, who began her full-time career as a sports commentator in 1994, sees herself as the voice of badminton, a sport that she is just crazy about.
    “It all started when I was still competing. Then, I was the first female president of the players’ international commission. I was seen as a person who had an opinion and was not afraid to give my views and comments. Once, I was asked to do a commentary on a match in 1994. The rest, as they say, is history,” said Clark.
    Prior to that, Clark had done well as a player and her experience has been the key to her natural transition to a commentator. She was the All-England runner-up three times, a women’s doubles bronze medallist in the World Championships with Gillian Gilks in 1983 and a mixed doubles bronze medallist with Nick Ponting in the world meet at Birmingham in 1993.
    “I have absolute passion for the sport. Being a commentator is very much like being a player. One does not go out for the big game without proper practice and training. I adopt a similar approach to commentating – only that I do not have to sweat any more with all the physical training ... and the best part is I am paid quite well to watch the games and give my views,” she quipped.
    “I spend a lot of time doing research. I also watch a lot of other sports and see what other commentators do. I usually pick up some useful tips ... there is no end to learning.
    “As a player, I looked up to Li Lingwei of China. She had beautiful moves and breathtaking skills and I learnt quite a bit from her. It’s the same with being a commentator. It is not about copying but taking a few pointers here and there and then making it my own unique way of presenting.
    “So, to all aspiring sports commentators, my advice is simple: just be yourselves. Be honest and show the passion from within.
    When asked which is the greatest match she has ever seen and who is her all-time favourite player, having seen so many thrilling matches for almost two decades, Clark was super quick with a smashing answer.
    “It is absolutely impossible to pick one. There have been just too many good matches. My head is in a spin as I try to remember ... when I think of one, another comes to mind and then another and it just goes on and on. For me the greatest match will always will be the next one that I am going to commentate on. As for the players, I can write a book,” she said, bursting into laughter.
    “What I do remember of a player is his or her ability to do the unexpected and to come out of an impossible situation. I am more than happy to be able to share their emotions and empathise with their struggles under pressure and, of course, to share all their beautiful techniques too.
    “I have never considered any match to be boring because every player has his or her strengths and I am fascinated with all the different personalities struggling to cope with pressure.”
    And what about her bloopers? This is one she’d rather keep to herself.
    “It happens all the time, especially in live sports commentary. A player cannot play without making an error, there will be a missed drop shot or hitting a shuttle into the net. So, even a commentator can make mistakes, but it is best you don’t make too many,” she smiled.
    The most difficult part for any commentator is his or her ability to keep spinning a lively and colourful story even if a match goes on and on. For instance, a tie in the Thomas Cup Finals could go on for five hours.
    “I have never moved from my seat until the event is over ... even if there is an urgent need to take a break!” she quipped. With her love for the game knowing no boundaries, her clever quips and catchy phrases, sharp assessments and superb descriptions of every situation, Clark has indeed proven to be an invaluable voice in the promotion of the game.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yes, i think that's what BWF should do to help develop badminton around the world.

recruit more commentators in more languages or dialects: German, French, Spanish, Arabic, etc

#36 pcll99, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012