Country/city to train badminton for a 30+ guy?

Discussion in 'Places to play / Clubs / Local Events' started by docento, Sep 1, 2017.

1. docento

docento New Member

Hi there. I'm a 34 old Polish guy who just learned about badminton at the end of last year. Pretty late I admit, but I love it so far.

Unfortunately I still suffer from basic problems with my technique as I started playing without proper training. As my job is pretty flexible, I have this idea about going somewhere abroad for about 3 months to train and improve faster in key areas.

My priority would be quality of coaching, ability to communicate in English, being able to train in small groups, and general attractiveness of the city (so I don't get bored to death). I'm thinking about Asia (Japan, Taiwan, as I've been there and liked it there) but not ruling out Denmark.

Any thoughts or pointers much appreciated. Where would you go?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

2. Rachit

Rachit New Member

Have you found anything?

3. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Have you seen this?

4. docento

docento New Member

Sounds interesting, any experience with that company?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

5. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

No experience myself. Although I do notice they have a Facebook page with a couple of reviews and some videos.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How about China?

Would @Borkya have some advice there?

Three months is a bit short though for a near beginner. Probably would take a couple of weeks just to acclimatise and get used to the routines.

7. Rachit

Rachit New Member

This is what I got from SETIA BADMINTON ACADEMY sometimes back. Can someone comment if they are good?

The Charges :

The charges will be RM 260 per student / per day - which includes Training, Food [Lunch & Dinner] & Accomodation
    Training – 2 sessions per day [Morning -9.00~11.00 am] & [Afternoon-3.30 – 5.30 pm]

AREAS TRAINING
    TRAINING – GENERAL PART

Physical Training ~ Agility / Running / Gym
    Footwork

TECHNICAL PART
    Practice ~ Stroke / Skill
    Games ~ Sparing
    4 hrs a day training

8. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Well, of course I would recommend China, and my little corner in Xiamen. Xiamen is one of the most livable cities in China (none of the smog you've seen in the news) with palm trees, mountains, oceans and tropical weather. You could easily get your own coach to teach you as much or as little as you wanted and of course lots of normal game play with high level and competitive clubs. Also, living in China is hella interesting.

It's just the English that might be the tricky part. I know 2 coaches that speak English but that's it. Perhaps Beijing or Shanghai will be better cities for that but both have pretty awful pollution, especially Beijing, so I can't in good conscious recommend it.

Taiwan has really good badminton, and nice weather and attractions, and it's kinda like "China lite" if the idea of China is too overwhelming. (Taiwan is much more westernized and more people speak English so the culture shock won't be as great.) But sorry I don't know any coaches or schools there to recommend.

9. migueluski

migueluski Regular Member

Hi, go to Bangkok, look for Thai badminton federation, next to Lumpini park. You can find real coaches there. Around 400 bath per hour. I been training there for over two years. I ve also good contact in Bali if you are interested in.
    Mike