Could this be an easy solution to making your racket shaft stiffer?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 27, 2021.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

So I've gotten a Bravesword 12 that I felt was the perfect racket for me, only if it was slightly stiffer in the shaft. Seeing as BS12 is the only bravesword racket that is still readily available, I decided to find out if there was an easy way to make the shaft stiffer.

That's when I came across this racket by another manufacturer, who made a racket that came with either a matte finish or gloss. Same racket, but just different finishes. But according to the manufacturer, the only difference between these two finishes is that the gloss coating had 1 more layer of clearcoat than the matte. And despite the two rackets being identical other than the 1 layer of coating, the reviewers have said the racket with gloss finish was slightly heavier, AND also stiffer.

So despite not having bought clear coat yet, I'm wondering if it's sound from a scientific perspective, if spraying another layer of clear coat on just the shaft of my BS12 will cause it to become stiffer. I haven't bought the coating material yet since I'm not sure which exact one I should buy, but if anyone here who has done custom painting or racket manufacturing can weigh in, I'd like to know if this is at all has a chance of working.

PS if you can also recommend me which type or brand of clearcoat is best suited for this, it'd be great, thanks.

#1 ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Just grip your racket up to half of the shaft. Thats would makes it abit stiffer.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in theory yes, the stiffness of a tube go up by the 4th power of the diameter/radius. A layer of clear coat is around 30-50 microns.

so we are increasing radius by around 1%, which to the 4th power means you gain around 5% stiffness. Not sure if one can feel it.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Wouldn't this only apply to homogenous materials?
    Would a golf club shaft become sixteen times stiffer if it were wrapped in bacon to double the diameter? :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it is a bit hand wavy and approximate. but at least we are talking about a layer of coating which can be stiff esp if it is designed to be protective.

a layer of bacon would make it 100% more... yummy.

6. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Alright thank you, I guess I'll have to try it myself and report back

Which type of clear coat would be best suited? I'm guessing something with a flex agent, so one that is used on car bumpers?

7. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member