Cost of entry to tournaments

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by freeheeler, Jul 25, 2005.

1. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    I just today (unfortunately) found out about the tournament at the club in Fremont ( http://unitedbadminton.com/ ) this coming Sat and Sun. Today was the final day for entries and I would have had to mail it in costing me an extra $5 in late entry fees. This was on top of a whopping $25 entry fee for the first event. The next event was $10.

so for me and my G/F who plays for fun this would have cost me a total of $70 to enter 3 events not including shuttles to play with.

Am I the only one to find this rather high given the amount of time that you have to sit around at these tournaments? I know they have split the A, B, C and D events up into two seperate weekends but no one ever turns up on time anyway!!

Going to Red Morton and paying $3 for an afternoon of Badminton playing 4 or 5 matches sounds more like fun

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

The cost of competition, cost of opportunity, cost of being the best!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Your guys are already lucky.

Local tournies here, will cost about $15-25 per event, and to be worse, NO seperated flights!. That means, I might spend $50 - $100 (depend on if I need to stay in a hotel over night), and only to find out to against an ex international player in the 1st round. So, $100 for 2 min of participation of 2 0:15.... hmmm... go figure... :rolleyes: :cool:

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If watching the tournament is free, use the $70 and take her out to a nice dinner. You might get some kissing point. May be lucky this weekend...:D

5. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

did they lower the entry fees..i thought it was $35 for non-member and $30 for the member...didn't know what is the additional charge if u wanna play more than one event
    well..the local tournament cost r getting higher and higher....$35 4 one event is really expensive..

6. täby_swe

täby_swe Regular Member

Our club pays most of the tournament costs, if it's in another city we usually pay 300kr, wich is ca. 27USD maybe

7. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Well, I personally don't find that cost very high because that's the same prices I pay for tournaments I go to :p

Just go there to enjoy yourself. Your in a competitive atmosphere where you'll see some awesome badminton. It's a good learning experience and a good way to show your skills even if it has a cost to it.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Exactly.

Consider this as a good experience, not only to compete, but also be able to watch some top lvl local players to play. $70 for 2 weekend could be very cheap, when compare to a lot of other activities (i.e. dinning, shows, etc) ;)

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Compared to the Canadian Masters and World Masters, the $70 for the 2 of you is pretty cheap. But considering that you are comparing it to a drop-in fee, I don't think you really should be entering tournaments.

The Canadian Masters was $150 per person, while the World Masters was $180 per person. The World Masters fee does not include any social events either, they are all additional cost. The Canadian Masters at least offered a several social and dinner events, well worth the price.

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I think the Alberta series is $40 first event this year.

Yeah masters can be pricey - thr Winter Club one was $60 for first event.

11. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    World Masters $180 per person including all Shuttlecocks used and is for one solid week event. It does include Opening and Closing Ceremonies (as social events).
    World Masters games and other Masters games, if you count the numbers of games that you play during the week will come up much cheaper than Tournaments.