Copenhagen Masters 2003...

Discussion in '2003 Tournaments' started by kwun, Nov 19, 2003.

1. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

judging New Malaysia Star Lee Chong Wei's Performance.....

he could be the next world beater.......

he is only 21 or 22 this year.......

he would be the next wong choon hann for malaysia or maybe even better......

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I agree! He is turning 22 next year. :)
    He will be the next uprising star in 2004.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei more all rounded, Choon Hann is more attacking. A good blend of players.

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

How tall is Lee Chong Wei? I remember reading somewhere that he is not that tall -- below average in height. This may be a disadvantage for him and limit his game. For men's singles, being above 5"10 is an advantage. Too tall or too short will be adisadvantage.

Ron

5. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

Re: Let Choon Hann be Choon Hann

indeed wong has changed a bit in his style.....

notice most of wong's net shot against jonassen were very sharp and tight and most touched the net before crossing??

he couldn't play net that well when he played xia xuan zhe in world championships final right...

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My opinion

Lee Chong Wei is an all around player, although he doesn't have the attacking weapon like Choon Hann due to his height but he's very quick and quite deceptive. Every international player has his unique skill and Chong Wei will has his position as one of the world beaters. Yong Hock Kin is also short but he was fear by many top players during his prime in 1998/1999. Simply, there are so many ways to win the match besides the flashy jump smashes(we don't see Peter Gade and Taufik win that often anymore even with their precise jump smashes).
    As for Jonas/Lars, they have quite different style than the Asian pairs. Asian pairs like Kim/Ha, Wijaya/Halim, Lee/Choong(a little bit over stretch to put them along side with Kim/Ha and Wijaya/Halim but I am a Malaysian :)) empahsize on power attack with lots of jump smashes while Jonas/Lars rely a lot on low and flat drives to win their points. Very contradicting style. Asian pairs use to cake walk the European pairs in MD but is no longer true with Jonas/Lars at wings.