Commonwealth Games on TV

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by UkPlayer, Jul 27, 2002.

1. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Can I suggest all UK fans email the bbc via their commonwelath games site and complain about the lack of coverage.

I don't expect badminton to get a lot of coverage but when you get hours of diving, early rounds of athletics etc and there is nothing of England v Malaysia its a joke!

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I support that, and a mail is on it's way, not just about the lack of coverage but about the fact that they said it would be on when it wasn't

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Just saw a bit on BBC 1, Colin Haugton in singles and then Jo and Gail in the ladies doubles against Scotland, so that means we're through to the finals. Mind you, this is the only coverage, and it wasn't on long.

Matt

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Does anyone know whether if there will be any live telecast for Badminton during the Quarterfinal rounds onwards for individual events in the commonwealth games?
    I know that NTL has 4 channels reserved for CG, 996-999. But I have lost some faith in them when they failed to show the tie between England and Malaysia. I am wondering if there is any confirmation as to how much they are going to broadcast for badminton during the last 3 days. I am sure BBC main channels will not carry any live coverage. So the only hope is with NTL. Does anyone know where to check for live coverage events?

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Ok this is the response I got from the BBC. Names have been left off
    --------------------------------

Dear *****

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Commonwealth Games'.

I was sorry to read that your enjoyment of the Games was marred by the fact that the Badminton match between England and Malaysia was not shown on the BBC Interactive service on Sunday 28 July as discussed during the England and Canada match on Saturday 27 July.

I regret to inform you that the schedule of events at the games is determined by the organisers and not the BBC and is therefore subject to change. In addition our sports team advise that because the situation in relation to live coverage of the events is so fluid, they are unable to provide amended details in advance of transmission as the content of programmes is changing even as they are on air. I can appreciate your concerns in relation to this matter and therefore please be assured that I have registered your comments for the attention of both the sports and scheduling teams and senior BBC Management.

I know this will not compensate for your loss of viewing, however you may be interested to know that a website on the Badminton matches can be accessed online at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/commonwealthgames2002/hi/badminton/default.stm

Please note that this website also includes video clips of the coverage.

I hope this is of help to you.

Once again, thank you for contacting the BBC.

Regards

------------------------

7. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

This still does not provide any answer to why the BBC refuse to televise anything more than glimpses of the countries second most popular sport.

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I agree

Hey Slanter - you got an unread PM by the way.

9. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    People largley watch individual sports for the personalities and their support for particular players. Even the badminton playing public do not have feel familiar with the top singles players. This is largely due to the low standard of current british players and the lack of media coverage.

In recent years the biggest media attention on Badminton has been on the more controversial incidents....the infamous coke incident, players suspended for drinking, selection rows or arguements at the nationals, Gail Emms photos in the tabloids! The results never make the news!

Its a chicken and egg situation, certainly none of the current british players are going to mount a realistic challenge for the big singles events for the foreseeable future. The public does not realise the intense competition and demands of the game, they do not realise it is a world game played by millions. How will the public be educated? Well this is down to the BAOFE.

If you read a copy of their magazine from ten or fifteen years ago you see a lot of world news, english competing in the far east, foriegn players etc. now the magazine is full of domestic issues, local news which doesn't even interest the real fan and BAOFE self publicising.

I probably know as much about tennis as badminton, just because of the constant stream of tennis news in the media, much of which revolves around Henman / Rusedski, be it there injuries, sucesses failures, change of coach, all of which is apparently newsworthy. How can we get badminton to this situation.

10. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

The BBC's policy criteria on sport coverage vis a vis badminton was quoted in BAOFE's Badminton magazine several months ago (I think the issue circa the ALL England) I can't find my copy at the moment otherwise I'd quote it here. I'll try to find it.