Colours : Your Shirt

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by wilfredlgf, Feb 14, 2004.

1. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    aye, i remember about 6 / 7 years ago, when i first line judged the grand slam tournament in lancashire - i remember thinking how intimidating the players in black carlton shirts and shorts were..

i think the same still applies here - it does have an effect, but it shouldn't it will only effect the players who are mentally weak (like me :( )

i've recently bought the blue with green trim yonex shirts and a black with red trim inflight shirt, and discovered it's more about how these shirts feel when i'm playing that makes a difference - i can't see th colours when i'm playing. but the shirts feel light and airy and aren't heavy like the old cotton shirts that i wear for training in...

Neil

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx...

That's what I believe, too... Hmmm... at least, try to make myself believe. :D

3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    From what I've heard, darker colours are more dominating. Black and blue are the colours that win. Red doesn't win. People were discussing this when the topic of our track suits was brought up because one of the coaches wanted red on them.

Obviously, the whole colour issue doesn't make a difference if the skills are too far apart, but I think it may be the whole "psychological aspect."

Phil

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I don't know about this, but in English Football, the most dominant clubs in the domestic league and cups had been wearing red - Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal.

(Incidentally, they're also the richest...)

But I think it's game dependant. I think red is the choice of most clubs in football because players are easier to spot in red as red and green are contrasting colours.

On the courts, however, the case is different as you don't pass the shuttle to your partners, but more of a psychological thing - red makes you look fierce and agressive.

5. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Yeah, I really don't have much of an idea how those conclusions were formulated. Maybe studies were done in a variety of sports and the percentages were put together. I'll ask about this next time I get the chance.

However, I did hear about the darkest colours being more dominating psychologically elsewhere.

Phil

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    If it's the lycra one with the non collared collar (does that make sense?) mainly red with black sleeves you can get it in a shop in Glasgow called EG sports for about £15. I wish I'd have known before shelling out £30 for it in Central Sports!

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    To the Chinese, Red is a lucky number and don't be surprised if the China Team wants to wear their red shirts for both the TC and UC!

On the contrary, black is an inauspicious colour worn during mourning. Please don't wear a red shirt during such ocassions.

Just to prove what contrasting beliefs people the world over have!