Colin Haughton has very bad attitude

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by wl2172, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Quite so, but if you face an equal then it can make a difference... maybe that's what Haughton realized and, in this case, used to his advantage?

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I agree Haughton often loses control of his temper, in the game against Scotland he was winning easily and then threw away the 2nd game after playing a very loose "trick" shot which I couldn't see him playing against a (with respect) better opponent.

Having lost that game he then won about 8 straight points, showing how easliy he should have won the match. He talked in the press about feeling pressure, well sure hes playing at home but hes hardly a favourite and its only CWG.

So many of the English men, especially in Singles seem to have poor mental attitude, I feel it is because in England there are so few "good" players that these stars are often indulged from an early age and show little respect for authority, whereas in the Far East every player knows they can be dropped and that there are ten more guys ready to step in their place.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definately so....but controversy is good for the sport (up to a certain point). Although I haven't seen the original match in question, I think some minor disputes can raise the interest in the game. For instance, if it wasn't for Haughton's attititude, this thread would never have come up and we wouldn't be having an active discussion!!!!

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Colin is a bit much

Granted, Cheung, controversy makes things more interesting. OTOH, let's not forget that Colin is the player who did not turn off his cell phone during a match, even after the umpire asked him to. The ringing was audible even though the phone was in his bag. So he not only has a bad attitude, but perhaps he also has developed a cell phone dependency :))

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Colin is a bit much

Cell phones ringing in lectures are very common in HK. Even in my lecture, I got interupted 2 times.

Also I have forgotten to turn off my phone---very embarassing. So for a person in HK, it is very normal!!!!