Coaching in Seoul

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by josephdk, Apr 12, 2016.

1. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Hello :),
    I'm going to Korea in the summer from July to about September and I would really like to have 1 on 1 coaching. I'm staying around Yeouido where the 63 building is. Can anyone let me know somewhere within a 30 to 40 min radius where I can get good 1 on 1 coaching for an hour or so. I'm at higher intermediate level and play for my university team in the UK. I am 19 years old and can speak Korea :). Thank You!!!

Joseph :)

2. event

event Regular Member

I've written this elsewhere but the only format I know for coaching for players who are not on an elite team in Korea is the 'individual lesson'. Basically 3 or 4 people share a coach for 30-60 minutes and the coach gives you individual attention for a few minutes at a time, feeding you shuttles and giving you pointers, then while you rest, you pick up the shuttles and the coach works with the other player(s). This kind of coaching is available anywhere but if you look for it at a dedicated badminton gym, you might have more choice of times and you might need to have if there is difficulty in finding a coach with an available slot. Two such places that would likely fit the bill would be the Gyenam Gym, which the 662 bus will take you very close to, and the Magok Gym, which the subway line #9 will take you very close to. For more on these, you can search the Seoul threads. If you want to try something closer, check out the Youngdeungpo-gu club listings. Most of these will operate in local school gyms but they will also have former elite players as coaches. The school closest to me here used to have a former national WD champion coaching there. You just might have to pay money to the club that rents the gym or some other complication and also, clubs only occupy school gyms early in the morning or for up to 3h in the evening. Sorry I don't have any personal experience with any of these places or any coaches there. Good luck.

3. event

event Regular Member

Did you have any luck?