Choong Hann and Xia Xuan Ze have pulled out of INA open.

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by wl2172, Aug 25, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Duo out of Indon Open

By RIZAL ABDULLAH
    SINGAPORE: World badminton champion Xia Xuanze of China and runner-up Wong Choong Hann of Malaysia have withdrawn from the Indonesian Open, which begins tomorrow at the Batam Island.

The duo pulled out after charting different paths in the Singapore Open, which ended at the Indoor Stadium here yesterday.

Xuanze conceded a walkover to Indonesia's Wiempe Mahardi in the third round. He could not play the match because of a calf injury, which he suffered in a second round match against Malaysia's Ong Ewe Hock.

Xuanze beat Ewe Hock 15-8, 12-15, 15-10 but had to be given a piggy back ride to the bus to return to the hotel after the match, which ended at 3am on Thursday.

Choong Hann returned to Kuala Lumpur after his match against Bao Chunlai to “recharge” himself and to prepare for the Malaysian Open, which will be played in Kota Kinabalu next week. His teammates for the Indonesian Open went to Johor Baru for training at Larkin.

Chunlai beat Choong Hann 15-2, 15-8 in a third round match. Choong Hann attributed his defeat to a “lack of power” in his game and felt soreness in his muscles due to lack of weight training since returning from the World Championships in Birmingham early this month.

He took stock of his poor run in Singapore and discussed the matter with national singles coach Misbun Sidek.

Choong Hann's form had taken a dive after his impressive run in the World Championships where he was beaten 6-15, 15-13, 6-15 by Xuanze in the final. Choong Hann was the first Malaysian singles player to go beyond the quarter-finals in the World Championships.

Prior to the Singapore Open, Choong Hann was also beaten by Chen Hong in an international friendly tie against China in Alor Star.

He was beaten 15-12, 8-15, 5-15 by the world number one.

Said Choong Hann from KL: “I have discussed my situation and my performance in Singapore with Misbun. It is best for me to rest and recharge myself for the Malaysian Open instead of competing in the Indonesian Open.

“I want to be in a better frame of mind for the Malaysian Open. For the next few days, I will be concentrating on workouts in the gym and conditioning training. I want to build myself up for the Malaysian Open.”

Xuanze, who will be with the Chinese team in Batam, said that he would be fit for the Malaysian Open.

“I do not want to take the risk by competing in the Indonesian Open. I will train in Batam and focus my attention on the Malaysian Open,” said Xuanze.