CHN grade report.

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by LazyBuddy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Peter Gade is still good, but hardly could be the top 3 anymore.

2. Martin's form is signicantly down recent months, not surprised to see her early exist, even though, 1st round is kinda harsh.

3. XD pairs, with the 2 KOR and 2 CHN pairs, the silver, or even bronze is hard...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think v1lau's expectation was a bit optimistic. however, at the beginning of the Olympics, i did expect DEN to get one gold medal from either MD or MS. seeing them only coming up with Bronzes was actually surprising to me.

3. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    RELATIVE, compared to LIN DAN, Ronald is a nonamer wasn't even mentioned to win the gold, spent all his energy to beat LD and then bombed out to boonsak, Park compared to Bao Chunli is a nonamer and after the fall of LD I thought BC would lift his game but o well...If you lose, lose to at least a Taufik or Gade or to either of your countrymen...just sad!

4. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

This is the olympics, great performances are expected from your aces, as for the comment of Peter Gade, have you not watch the TC this year, he torched everyones #1 and only lost to Lin Dan in 3 Games or In the All England where he got second behind Lin Dan also in a tough 3 games and killed Taufik in 2 straight games. To say he is not top 3 thats ridiculous. As for the doubles...lets see the incoming world champions and the all england champions, yeah I expect them to medal and I expect them to lose to KDM & HTK not korean #2,#3...Camilla..maybe she put too much pressure on herself, but for a last olympics and losing to a native european, who she hasn't lost to her continent in I don't know how long. I think my expectation is right in line with their own.

#24 V1lau, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    True. Even in the 80's, Park/Kim and Razif/Jalani had already won All-England by that age. Maybe the new Chinese pairs are more like Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi, who only came to prominence when they were in the mid-20's.

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You musn't be talking of this year's Thomas Cup... Peter Gade was severely thrashed by Sony in the semis and lost to Lin Dan in two sets in the final... :rolleyes:
    He has never proved any capacity of winning in MAJOR events (world champs, olympics).
    His defeat to Taufik in quarter finals is logical, he reached the level you could expect from his seeding.

Lars/JR was disappointing, no dought... but Jens/Martin upset Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng to make it to the last four which was a very good performance! (the chinese pair was one of the big favourites)

Camilla has been performing really badly for at least one year now. Once again she underperformed in the olympics... OK this is a disappointing performance!

But don't forget the great run of both mixed doubles pairs, beating Kim/Ra on one side, Kim/Lee and Widianto/Marissa on the other... this was totally unexpected!

Globally : According to the seedings, Denmark could expect one medal (gold), they got one (bronze) and two unexpected fourth places.

7. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Your right about gade, TC I had to rewatch it...but I still think he played well and he was on form coming into greece...But he was 6-1(now 6-2) against Taufik and with Lin Dan out, he immediatly in my opinion jumped to the head of class...I bet you he was thinking the same thing.
    I won't budge on the MD, I think they should have done better, i personally didn't think CY and FH are that good, they have a weak kick...always start strong, then have nothing left to finish...I would have love to see KDM & HTK against JR/Lars, so even in height and skills and game...very very disappointed...Mixed after the fav got beating thought they had good chance for silver or gold.
    1 gold,silver, and bronze=100% 2 Silver=70% 1 bronze=15%
    1 gold, bronze=90% 1 Silver=50%
    1 gold=80% 3 Bronze=45%
    2 Silver and 1 bronze=75% 2 Bronze=30%

8. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Honestly...this is the olympics, it's amazing to even be qualified to participate. I was just really looking forward to a good Indonesian vs China match. Like Lin Dan vs Taufik/Sony. Didn't happen :crying: There was an uneven draw, sure Shon did play good, but nowhere as great as Taufik compared to how he normally plays. The MS Final wasn't even a close match. Taufik was several levels above Shon. We're the one's to miss out... I would say the best gold matches had to be given to WS and XD finals.

I hope that China will learn from this experience, perhaps hiring a physchiatrist would help? Also agree with the MD not having enough competition for regular practise and play like the women do. However, this is only a beginning for China's MD, I'm sure they will be taking many notes from the Indonesians and the Koreans. Overall I would rate China an 80%... They won 3 / 5 golds and a silver and bronze, but how the Men got shut out, it is inexcusable. Completely dragged the average down.

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    exactly, only 2 MD pairs qualified...while all 3 women's spots were taken..
    never mind, i guess the men can only improve:)