Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Yes him, I musta lost my mind to think of him. Thanks.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I also think this is a blot on his CV. I think when he took over, the Chinese ladies became much more physical in playing style. But that didn't equate to them winning more.

That's actually quite a normal age to retire for a men's singles player from China (except Lin Dan).

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

He was definitely helped out in the wc 2010.

Taufik helped him by beating LCW and Lin Dan threw his match pagainst Park Sung Hwan (IRC)
    This was confirmed by a BC member who was at the stadium...

Chen Jins game was a direct counter to Taufik by that time.

pcll99 likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pure speculation. What is meant by "confirmed" and how did the BC member do that , by his own observation and deduction from the game Lin Dan lost to Park Sung Hwan ? That , to me, doesn't constitute proof by which I mean it has to stand up to scrutiny and analysis using scientific methods based on evidence. In other words,how did the BCer 'confirmed' it and on what basis ?

Even if t's true Lin Dan himself admitted he threw the QF match to PSH, we still have to ask why, the reason or motive, and who benefits. What's more, let's supposed Lin Dan really made such an admission or testimony, there is no guarantee Chen Jin would win his semifinal match and likewise there's no knowing Taufik Hidayat would also definitely beat his semifinal opponent and together progress to the final. Furthermore, who can be certain Chen Jin would undoubtedly beat Taufik were they to meet in the final ?

With so many unknown factors, anything could have happened before and in the final itself. More importantly, an assertion is not a fact, you still have to prove it; the so-called proof by assertion is a fallacy. I take it that what the said BC member proffered is merely an expression of his opinion,and while he is entitled to his own opinion,he is not entitled to his own fact.

At most, I'd only concede that Chen Jin was indirectly helped by both LCW and Lin Dan's unexpected defeats in their respective QFs. But credit should still be given to Chen Jin for prevailing over Taufik Hidayat in the world title match.

kelana likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Mind you, the World Championship is a major title every player dreams of winning, and Lin Dan in 2010 was still very much hungry and motivated for greater success. To assert that he would throw his match to anybody at whatever stage of the tournament, at the quarterfinals to PSH as claimed, is outlandish, to say the least. Unthinkable, to me. A preposterous idea.

Moreover, isn't it much better to have two CHN players in the running for the world title,particularly the strongest contender,than to have the weaker Chen Jin alone left standing to hold the fort for CHN at the SF stage ? Don't even imagine Li Yongbo would allow Lin Dan to do that, throwing his match to a foreign player, absolutely out of the question.

kelana likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Even if you tell me Lin Dan actually lost interest playing Park Sung Hwan once he learnt that LCW had just been defeated by Taufik in the other QF, I'd still find the thought far-fetched. Shouldn't he, or anybody for that matter, be pleased or relieved or simply satisfied that his main threat had been eliminated,one possible obstacle less ?

If it were Lin Dan who's been knocked out first, LCW upon knowing it would be jumping for joy, I bet.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan was knocked out earlier in the day than Lee Chong Wei.

Source : racketman123's well-wishes.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, that's not how I remembered it. Can somebody recall and point to the source of the information ?

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you can work out the timing here. the next match starts within 10 minutes after the finish of the previous match.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...2164E2-8D5A-414A-8D71-748A49C68A3E&d=20100827

taufik vs. lcw started @ 3:00 pm and finished around 4:03 pm.
    lin dan vs. park sung hwan started at 4:00 pm, finished @ 4:39 pm.

i was living in paris at the time & went to the tournament every day.
    taufik ran off the last 9 points in a row to crush lcw in game 3.

#1089 samkool, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Justin L and pcll99 like this.
  10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I remember those matches, it was quite weird to see LCW lose to TH.
    But for Chen Jin, his big match was not the finale against TH (an easy victory that was), but the semi against PG. PG gave it all and almost won but CJ fought like there would be no tomorrow. And there was no tomorrow actually : CJ had back problems and stamina issues after that year and was never the same.
    Personnage I was happy to see him retire at a very early age.

11. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Interesting to see that there is Chinese participation in the Smiling Fish tournament beginning 1st May. Is this the start of a new direction or a provincial team giving its players good experience. I see Ye Binghong and Ren Pengbo, two 20 year old second tier juniors playing in the MS. There are also two 23 year olds playing in this category as well. Is this the first time China is playing in this tournament?

12. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    The same Chinese players are entered for the Indonesian tournament a week later. Thats progress indeed!!

Justin L likes this.
  13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Pretty sure Abedeng was at the stadium and said LD didn't even try.

You can definitely tell when a player does not try at all e.g. when I was at the HK open 2009 when Taufik threw the game to Simon Santoso 100% in protest against the then PBSI president cheering for Simon and not being impartial.

The HK open 09 was a special one as I was given a officials pass by Taufik organized by Hauge :D

14. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Taufik smashed like no tomorrow vs LCW and was surprisingly very effective, his power game was on point.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Earlier I posted Wang Shixian's interview where she was asked about the depressing state of CHN WS with the young ones, and she made an appeal that we give them a bit more time to mature. But at the just-concluded CHN Masters which ended with an all-JPN WS final, both Xie Xingfang and Gong Ruina, former greats, were scathing in their criticisms expressed on their weibo (microblogs).

Hope Sun Yu, He Bingjiao and Chen Yufei can put up a better showing at the ongoing BAC held in Wuhan. Chen Xiaoxin, the last-minute replacement for Li Xuerui, has just lost to Intanon Ratchanok in R1, 21-18, 21-17 in 45 mins.

The future of CHN WS, before LXR returns,still rests on the shoulders of the young cohort, aged 21 and below, not counting Sun Yu. Let's hope the rest of the juniors, 18-20 years old, such as Gao Fangjie, Zhang Yiman, Han Yue, Wang Zhiyi,et al, together with the three aforementioned, He Bingjiao, Chen Yufei and Chen Xiaoxin, can all start to make their mark on the world's stage in good time, the sooner the better..

kelana likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand what you're driving at. Still I fail to make sense of why Lin Dan would want to throw the match to Park SH in the QFs of a World Championship tournament to boot, a much-coveted title. If true, I'm sure Li Yngbo would give him a good dressing-down.

I'm more inclined to think that it was just one of those days,very rare though during his heyday, when Lin Dan simply couldn't get his game going for whatever reasons (feeling out of sorts, off form, and suchlike).

I supposed we have to agree to disagree then.

kelana likes this.
  17. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

kelana and Justin L like this.
  18. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Tian BinYi and Zhong Bo, the former head doubles and singles coaches will serve as consultants.

Wang Wei (former doubles coach, often seen sitting court side next to Zhang Jun) will serve as the head coach for the expanded Second Team which will include the Junior Team.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No news about the ladies team coaches?

20. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Both young coaches, hope to bring about some changes to CBA team.