Chen Yu withdraw from ABC???

Discussion in 'Asian Continental Championships 2007' started by ixory, Apr 9, 2007.

1. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Taufik out to rule ABC

Star SportsWednesday April 11, 2007

By RIZAL ABDULLAH
    JOHOR BARU:

Indonesian star Taufik Hidayat is ready to throw in a strong challenge in the US$125,000 Yonex-Sunrise Asian Badminton Championships (ABC), which began at the Indoor Stadium here with the qualifying round yesterday.

The reigning Olympic and world champion surprised the badminton world last month when he pulled out of the All-England and Swiss Open championships.

He skipped the two tournaments after the All-Indonesian Badminton (PBSI) did not take action against seven players for having competed in a non-sanctioned tournament in Papua New Guinea after having issued a warning that they would be punished if they did so.

“I am here to get a good result,” said Taufik after a training session at the Johor Badminton Association Hall in Larkin yesterday.

“The ABC is part of my preparations for the Singapore Open (May 1-6) but my target is to win the Indonesian Open (May 7-13). I have not played in a tournament since I lost to Lin Dan in the first round in the Malaysian Open.”

Taufik is now ranked 20th in the world and is seeded fifth-eighth in the ABC. Defending champion Lee Chong Wei is the top seed ahead of China's Chen Hong, who is making a quick return to competitive badminton after announcing his retirement from the game recently.

Barring any upsets, Chong Wei is tipped to play against Taufik in the quarter-finals. Taufik has won his last two matches against the Malaysian number one – the latest was in the semi-finals of the Doha Asian Games last December.

“Because of my poor ranking, we will cross paths in the quarter-finals. It is not going to be easy playing against Chong Wei, who has the advantage of home crowd support,” said Taufik, who took the gold medal in the Doha Asiad.

“Chong Wei is a good player but sometimes he lacks the mental strength. But I cannot dwell on my past results.

“When I did not go to the All-England and Swiss Open, I just enjoyed my training and spent time with my wife. I am not thinking of the World Championships in August because my wife is also expecting our first child at that time.”

However, Taufik, who opens his campaign against Saeki Koichi of Japan, was also quick to point out that he has to be wary of his other opponents. He also has in his quarter Malaysian Sairul Amar Ayob, who won the Dutch Open last year.

The ABC is the last tournament for the players to pick up ranking points for the qualification for the World Championships, which will be held in Kuala Lumpur in August.

The Olympic qualifying period begins on May 1 and the Asian badminton powerhouses have chosen to keep their top players at home to prepare for the Open tournaments in Singapore and Indonesian.

Meanwhile, the only Malaysian involved in the qualifying round yesterday, Vivian Hoo Kah Mun, failed to make the main draw of the women's singles competition. She was beaten 9-21, 14-21 by Japan's Fujii Mizuki.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You know what! There is now a new Chinese face, Chen Long, who is in the main draw of the ABC. So further confusions expected if one is slightly overwhelmed by the Chinese Wall. CH, CJ, CL or CY, pick your choice. :D

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

For each Chen ....., you will find multiples of them in training.:)

And there must be others such Chen Kong, Chen Zhong, Chen Short, Chen Me, Chen Bao, etc.....:D

5. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Then when LYB call them, he just needs to say "ALL Chens' ! ! ! Come straightaway to the COURT at once !" :D

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do they have a Chen Ball or has he been "Xed"? :confused:

7. yannie

yannie Regular Member

8. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Seriously never heard of Chen LONG, can't find info on him also. Which Chinese character "Long" Is it?? :confused:

By the way, Chen Jin will win ABC, I hope. *dreaming*

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yannie, many of us know your feelings for CJ, who may soon usurp LD for the crown. I do hope that CJ is more aggressive and be a bit more macho like LD. Ask him to pack in more meat to make his dream and your dream come true earlier.

But for CJ to win the ABC, it is only a pipe dream. He didn't even start so how can he win the race?

But I'm looking forward to seeing all the top class players, including CJ, come May at the Singapore Open. Will you be there.. with CJ? ;)

10. yannie

yannie Regular Member

ooops.................... so sorry.. i mixed up everything today.. sigh.. :eek: :(

singapore open.. not sure yet, but i think not going.. hahaha if i go i will be there.. with MEI YING, SERLA, GEORGINA!!!

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think I've met Mei Ying before. Maybe Serla or 'Gina' can introduce. But our two young ladies must have been overworked with their books (like you) and we hardly see their posts nowadays! :(

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It won't be as confusing as Li Yu and Lu Yi though!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    "Long" usually means "dragon" when it comes to guy's first name. ;)

14. yannie

yannie Regular Member

For those who don't know how Chen Long looks like..
    Credits to Lydia

From left to right:
    Chinese girl - dunno her name, Arif Latif, Chen Long, Woon Khe Wei and Lydia Cheah.

Attached Files:

15. yannie

yannie Regular Member

PS. Tarek said the Chinese girl's name is Wang Xiao Li.