Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    triple joy for Chen Long in Dubai :

BWF Male Player of The Year
    World #1 status
    BWF Destination Dubai World Superseries Men's Singles champion

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On the whole, 2014 has been a mixed year for Chen Long, both affirmation and skepticism in his overall performance and results which I needn't go into as they are well-known.

For me, what's most encouraging and heartening to see is a new dimension in Chen Long's game as evident in the Dubai SSF, better court sense, more variation in his shot-making (less predictable), good injection of pace when necessary, the right awareness of his opponents' tactics and strategy, winning more of the net dribbles where previously he used to be caught and having to scramble for it - in short, a more skillful and thinking player.

The ability to analyze the opponent's game during play and not rely too much on the coach makes for a true champion and he's beginning to show it, translating his maturity and experience into smarter play. Hope this is a feature he's acquired permanently.I'd venture to say he'll do even better in 2015 onward, just the appropriate time to peak for the Rio Olympics.

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's roller-coaster year and maybe the turning point for Chen Long, he soared high on BWF WC and SS Finals but failed to shine in two important team events, Thomas Cup semifinal and Incheon AG final. A heavy burden tarnished his confidence to score opening point for his team against Tago and Son WH respectively. We'll see how his transformation next year, All England is the first test when all top guns will taking part...

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is how Chen Long himself summarized the past one year on his weibo (microblog) this morning http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-12-23/10417457885.shtml :" The 2014 season just passed by, that Thomas Cup heart-wrenching match, that World Championship elated victory, the year-end Superseries Finals concluding to my heart's content...there are joys and there are tears, all those moments of walking into the tournament halls return in an instant to the origin, but what remains at the bottom of my heart is the conviction to redouble my effort. The rigours of time will not dampen my belief but deepen it instead,the 14 years of experience has taught me to be courageous, to be strong, to go forward bravely, and not to be afraid and lost."

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As you highlighted, Chen Long ended the year with a Big Bang ! Wish him many happy returns in the years ahead.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Congratulations to Chen Long, the new World # 1.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Well deserved!
    Matches not always the most exciting to watch, but his talents are undeniable. He also seems like he'd be a real character, off court.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, he's current world #1 officially based on latest BWF WR, to topple Lee CW who stayed at top position for long period.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Yongbo's reaction to Chen Long's overall achievement is more subdued. He said the year 2014 has been for Chen Long also one of regrets and blemishes whilst attaining the world number 1 status and winning the world championship. http://sports.qq.com/a/20141225/062082.htm

Calmly,LYB said:" Apart from congratulating him (for becoming WR#1), I can only say this year for him still has its blemishes. His world ranking points this time is only a little over 85,000, this among the MS past records isn't high, Lee Chong Wei in the past ever broke the 100,000 mark. Now Chen Long is able to assume the number 1 position mainly because his results in the last two legs of the superseries weren't too bad, and it so happened Lee CW didn't play in the final four legs, only then did Chen Long obtain the champion status. I believe Chen Long has to work harder and there's plenty of room for improvements."

Reviewing Chen Long's performance in 2014, the WC and the SS Finals have been prominent in displaying his ability, but as MS1 in the Thomas Cup and the Asian Games team event he has lost first one then the other thus causing CHN Men's Team to lose both the major team championships. Although Li Yongbo expressed understanding, he also admitted there's a gap between Chen Long and the leading role of CHN Men's Singles:" I feel his ability to assume the responsibility is still insufficient despite the fact that it's the price he pays as part of growing up, however there are many areas he has to continuously improve himself and work hard on. He has told me before he will strive hard next year to uphold the glory of CHN MS , it gratifies me , hope everybody can give him more support, let him quickly assume the leading role in CHN MS."

10. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Just out of context ,

Just saw chen long take out a tube of AS50 during BWS SS finals at dubai against Tago. It would have been bad for the sponsor Li Ning . I understand that SS fianls are using AS50 so he and every body is bound to be using AS50 but had it been not wiser for Li ning to pack AS50 in A+600 tube and then give it to Li Ning players just in case a person accidentally shows the shuttle brand on TV . And BTW since most of the events use AS50 , I wonder how much a chinese team or korean team are using AS50 back home and if yes then who is taking the cost ?? Li Ning or china badminton federation . Or they just switch to tournament shuttle in last days ??

11. sh_shashi1

Student
    I think the new strategy of China and CL is to let opponent play with their strong points for the first half of the 1st set and the coaches analyses and then it is communicated to CL as to what game he should play . This is quite evident because he always loses fisrt half of first set but then go on to handsomely defeat because the opponent due to lack of skill or tactically couldn' change his game. I think it will reap dividend to him until a player like Srikanth ( Who changed the game against LD every time LD was on par and was able to defeat and show the world that may be he can be defeated at biggest events ) can match to him tactically and mentally ( Every body knows he got the skill ) . What say???

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I don't make much of Lin Dan's two defeats since his comeback, once to JOJ when he was still rather rusty, and the other to Srikanth when he was recovering from knee injury, his worst in 14 years according to him. On the contrary, the fact that Lin Dan could still play and beat the likes of JOJ, Sasaki and Chou TC en route to the final before his fitness took a toll speaks volumes of the man, a phenomenal feat unlikely to be equaled by anyone in similar constraints, in my opinion.

As for Chen Long, I believe his performance at the SSF showed signs of maturity, experience and smarter play. However, he is still quite a slow starter, slow to warm up and settle in instead of playing with intensity and wanting to win every single point from the get-go. I guess this has something to do with his mild mannered, easy-going character, just a thought. Nevertheless, I also believe it is something that can be taught or trained such that every time he steps onto court he psyches himself up, be totally focused,and single-minded with a sense of urgency. Look at Wang Xin who off-court seems such a gentle, demure personality yet once on-court she is an aggressive dynamo in her style of play,virtually a different person altogether.

13. sh_shashi1

Student
    I am also not making any thing from the defeat of Lin dan from LD perspective . Even if he loses every match from now on , he will remain the world greatest badminton player . I was talking about the way srikanth defeated him by changing the game every 5-6 points ( That was rare and LD and won't be fooled next time , thats why he is the legend ) . I will like to see how CL will respond to likes of srikanth or others if they manage to play more tactfully against CL .

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Today I am quite heartened by Chen Long's victory, his second All England title. Not only that, he also registered his first win over his nemesis and great rival, the legendary Lin Dan in the semifinal. A deserving and most worthy champion, is Chen Long.

Before, when things are not going right for him or he seems to be having a bad day when everything is going wrong for him, he simply won't be able to break out of the bind and goes out with a whimper, looking lost and dazed - remember how he went down to K Tago at the Thomas Cup, and to Son Wan Ho at the Incheon Asian Games.

But this time in the final against JOJ , in a similar situation where nothing seemed right for Chen Long and Lady Luck was shining on his opponent - the number of reflex action shots that JOJ returned and the number of times Chen Long missed sitters are unimaginable - which would have normally broken his back or anybody's, no, it did not, he stubbornly refused to give up, he didn't cave in. As they say, when the going gets tough, the tough gets going, and that's exactly what he did, grimly fighting on to overcome and conquer not just his difficult opponent but also himself to finally emerge triumphant.

Is it time to dub Chen Long 'Super Long' ? Or 'Dragon Long' ?

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

in the end, Chen Long still a "human"...

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I believe that when Yonex sponsor a tourney, the players use Yonex shuttles. When Victor of Li Ning sponsor a tourney, then Victor or Li Ning shuttles are used. There is no rule saying that all SS have to be played with AS50.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

" If it is the Olympics or World Championships, I'll be even happier," said Chen Long at the AE post-match press interview.

He added that he greatly desired to become Lin Dan's successor. " Very much wish, but the fact is there's still much lacking on my part, a lot which I ought to learn from Lin Dan. All in all, for so many years he's been able to maintain peak condition, garnered so many championships, from failure to success, his immense experience, there is no way for me to compare".

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2015-03-09/08557536673.shtml

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

" After dropping game one, I still believe I can pull one back. There's a lot of Chinese fans here rooting for me today, I also wish to prove myself to these ardent fans," Chen Long said after the match.

He added:" Jorgensen is very strong, but Lin Dan is still my biggest opponent."

“输掉第一局后,我仍然相信能够扳回来。今天好多中国球迷来这里为我加油,我也希望向这些热心球迷证明我自己。”谌龙赛后说。

他还说:“约根森的实力非常强,但林丹依然是我最大的对手。”

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2015-03-09/08387536655.shtml

19. sh_shashi1

Student
    Can anyone confirm whether Lin Dan , Chen long , JOJ will be participating in IO . planning to visit new Delhi if they are .

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member