Chen Hong already achieved better than all active

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by fan, May 7, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Taufik will be #1 tomorrow

The fact that you folks from Asia don't think too badly of a coach slapping a player comes as a big cultural shock. We recently experienced huge media coverage of this sort of situation in mens' college basketball. Bobby Knight, a very famous and successful coach at Indiana University, was fired for grabbing one of his players by the neck and later for being verbally abusive to a student. Although there are a lot of Indiana basketball fanatics who would have wanted Knight to continue coaching even if he had committed murder, the overwhelming majority of Americans approved of firing the jerk. In America, the right to be free from violence inflicted by others is a very strong personal freedom, notwithstanding our high crime rate.

I can't understand why anyone could tolerate such abuse by an out-of-control petty dictator. There is no logical connection between violence and athletic improvement. If the coach is truly respected by the players, a stern word from the coach should be enough to bring a poorly performing athlete in line and make him/her try harder. If the Korean players did threaten to quit as a reaction to their coach, I applaud their courage.

Aditya, I think the explanation for the so-called exceptional teamwork of the Japanese and Koreans is explained more by cultural factors than by use of corporal punishment. The sense of honor and respect for family, elders, superiors, etc... is much more ingrained from birth by the culture of these two countries. It is fear of shaming oneself and one's family that is a primary factor here, not fear of being hit.

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Character and Personality

Typical with my sort of luck, I post a message about poor sportsmanship yesterday and that same day I get to experience some in my league. There is a father and son pair in my league who are just beyond belief with their lack of consideration for others; among other things, they both avoid the use of underarm deodorants or bathing regularly, and stink so bad I can smell them from more than 10m away. The son, who is about 20 years old, especially behaves like a small, spoiled child whenever he misses a shot. I tried to ask him a couple of times to stop screaming profanities, but he did not listen and I know that he bothers most, if not all, of the other playes in the league. Last night he must have been having a bad day because he let loose a huge scream and began roaring profanities as loud as he could. I got fed up, so I yelled over to him "Hey, quiet! That's not necessary." He started yelling at me so I told him to quit being a poor sport. The whole rest of the night he just glared at me.

The badminton gods must have been pretty displeased with the son last night, because later I saw him storming off the court and tossing his new Ti-7 into the trash. Later, I dug the racquet out of the trash, intending to give it to a friend who does stringing, to let him salvage the grommets as he has been looking for some for a while. The frame was so thoroughly broken (almost at a right angle at the 9:30 and 2:30 positions) that I'm guessing that this immature dolt had a tantrum and just slammed the racquet into the floor.

As a final example of being a jerk, on his way out the door, this toddler trapped in a man's body saw that I had removed his racquet from the trash, came over and grabbed it away from me, snarling "It's MY racquet." All the while that this is happening, the father just sat back and did nothing. It's just amazing that in the past two decades or so, the father never bothered to sit down with his son and teach him to respect himself, other people and sports in general.

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    slapping ppl

Agreed. I hope you realise that I was only joking when I said the guys should be slapped instead.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

i feel sorry for the Ti-7. what a waste of a nice racket.

:p

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

ok, kwun, be serious.

that's pretty extreme bad attitude. and i am really surprised to see such in a badminton court. i always see badminton players as ladies and gentlemen, and most players i have met are that way.

that was an amazing story, Brett. now i know how bad can bad attitude go. having grown up in an Asian family, i was (painfullly) corrected everytime bad attitude/behaviour was exerted. and honestly, i don't understand how one can be so rude and still feel "good" afterward. sometimes i think our society is too protective of the young and parents are as well. as a result, many kids are too spoiled.

6. Yudi

Yudi Guest

wow,

Unlike what I was told b4, the Asian cup results were not counted to recalculate the ranking scores. Otherwise Taufik would go to the 1st.

7. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Talking abt kids being spoiled, one of my friends who's doing substitute teaching got it really bad from a boy's father who accused her of victimising his son when it was the little bast*** who threw a cup of orange juice on his classmate and got a scolding for doing so. The best part is, because it's the (damn) civil service we're talking about, my friend was not allowed to answer back and had to take the rebuke as it went. No point giving an explanation to the unreasonable parent because he refused to believe that his precious little son could do any wrong.

I swear if I ever come across anything like that when I begin my work (God forbid!), I'll give the parent a proper lecture on how to bring up his kids, complete with all the quotes from Confucius that our government is so fond of evoking, and quit my job immediately. I find it disgusting when parents condone bad behaviour on the part of their kids, blaming others for picking on them instead. From what I heard, it's pretty common in Singapore schools. So much for confusing Confucius.

With heartfelt apologies to the Sage.

8. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah

That's right, I'm willing to train like the Chinese and GET SLAPPED...to become a professional badminton player...but PLEASE..don't hit so hard that I get bruises and they are noticable. And don't punish me so much that I litterally die from...it's not worth my life...

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

It could not have happened to a more deserving person. I was almost tempted to taunt this guy about his racquet, especially because he claimed he really loved it, but decided to take the high road instead.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

it gets worse.

though i have not been through the highschool education here, i have talked to an english teacher (turned hairdresser) once, and this is what she told me.

for her english class, when giving out final grades for exams, it is required that if you ever give the student an A, then you have to give them As on all subsequent terms of the year. this is so that <i>the student's feeling won't get hurt</i>.

i was like "<b>HUH?</b>"

she said she ended up giving all students Bs for the whole year.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

well, i was feeling sorry for the racket. i care less about how the brat felt. ;)

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

About Han Ai Ping

Anyone know a place I can find her resume/achievements online?

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: Cheung

Sorry, didn't pay much attention to the match as I was waiting for the badminton to come on.Try boxing websites or site in Us selling sports videos, they have a lot of recordings, it's not as if it was badminton with so little available.

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just to illustrate differences in culture :

There is this little country In SEA who aspired to be great in

basketball and tenpin bowling :

The basketball association hired an American coach to upgrade

their game, but they dropped out because they felt he was too demanding in training methods and took the fun out of game.

The bowlers petitioned to have their Canadian coach removed

because he tried to discipline them like kids.The American

replacement was also removed for lack of tact dealing with

players and officials.

A Chinese coach was brought in to improve training in

badminton. One player slotted to be national champion rebelled

at his training methods and claimed the coach was a sadist.

Coach replied his training methods here were only those he

used for women in China , not men's.The player sacked

himself, his mates went on to win Thomas Cup.Later on a

Danish coach also had many problems and sacked himself

too.

Would you have much confidence in Sportsmen with so little

commitment and dedication?

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

was the Danish coach later replaced by a Korean coach?

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: About Han Ai Ping

Maybe goto IBF site and check out the tour results listed from

1980 onwards?

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Now the badminton officials are so impressed by the antics

of a rebel and his praise of their system that they are willing to bid for him.

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Can you understand Chinese? If so, you could check out the players' section at www.chinabadminton.com. But it's only a short paragraph...

19. terence

terence Guest

i dont think u can achive anything, because u have already told us that it not worth ur life.u are not prepare to go through the commitment and sacrifices of a professional badminton player.This kind of mentality leads to nowhere,ok.

20. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

Yeah, instead hes gone to 3rd.