Chandra & Sigit will 'divorce'

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by jkusmanto, Aug 1, 2003.

1. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    PBSI will play another musical chairs, I reckon. If PBSI can play that game in such a short period to Candra/Sigit, why can't they do the same thing in the future if they see Candra/Halim is a disaster?

Anyway, I put faith on Candra. He's been so flexible playing with different partners.

2. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I was hoping that they will split Candra and Sigit up to partner younger and up-and-coming players to groom them.
    Just like the way they partnered Tony Gunawan with Rexy Mainaky in the Thomas Cup just before Rexy retired.
    See how Tony's game improved dramatically after that!
    IMO they should forget about short-term gains and go for the long-term goal of developing young doubles pairs instead.
    Its sad to see Indo men's doubles coming to such a state... :(

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think dlp has touched on a good point. Sigit seems to have a lot of injuries. He may not last till the Olympics.

As for the points thing if Candra/Halim doens't work out, the closing date for entries of the two tournaments are after the WC.

So if Candra/Sigit had done badly in the WC, the entries could have been changed.
    Now that they have done well and will gain a lot of ranking points, that gives PBSI even more leeway to experiment with a Chandra/Halim combo. If Halim does badly in the two forthcoming tournaments, then Sigit will be back (after having a little more rest as well). Candra will be match fit.

If the Candra/Halim combo well, then the partnership will be continued. The way I see it, Candra will at least get to the Olympics with either one or the other. If he parters only one person (and doesn't do well), then Indonesia may not even get a pair into the Olympics. By having two partners, PBSI will be able to 'choose' which pair will offer the best chance of getting into the Olympics.

And are Eng Hian/Flandy really going back to PBSI??

#23 Cheung, Aug 2, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2003
  4. yowkee

yowkee Regular Member

It is confirmed that Chandra would "divorce" with Sigit. And surprisingly, according to this Malaysian Chinese news article (note: in mandarin), the split might be suggested by Chandra?! Sigit only knew about it before WC final, and he is informed by Indonesia media. What a cruel news to him!

Any latest news from PBSI?

5. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
  6. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    Hmm...so it was Candra who initiated the divorce. :(
    And Sigit will not be coming to the Singapore Open.

7. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

actually, this is not new ....

last year, chandra has ever complained to PBSI regarding sigit.

8. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    NEWS: The Hidden Factors Behind the Lost of Candra/Sigit

Hope this helps. My impression when reading this news: Sigit has been very patient in handling this issue, yet he still feel that it's unfair for him.

Jakarta, KCM

Indonesian badminton players, Sigit Budiarto admitted that he cannot understand why he’s being split from Candra Wijaya.

Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto, the Indonesian men’s double badminton player who won in WC 1997, were declared to be split while they were just proceeding to the final round of Birmingham’s WC.

It seems that their participation in WC 2003 was their last performance as partners. Soon after the final round had concluded, these partners were told that they will not play together anymore. According to Sigit Budiarto, he was being informed about the decision by the head coach – Christian Hadinata, the double’s coach – Herry IP, and Candra Wijaya. “I had just realised that the decision came from Candra himself. He didn’t tell me anything about it before,” Sigit said.

Sigit revealed that he doesn’t know anything about this internal decision of PBSI, even more about Candra’s personal request. “I didn’t know anything about it before the WC. I knew it from the mass media when we’re already half-way in the tournament,” he said.

Apparently, this news had pushed Sigit to play at his best in the tournament to prove that he’s still a competent player. He played fiercely and made it to the final by beating the Chinese team in the semi final round with such a hard effort. “In the final, I played at my utmost, but I was confused by our weak defence. More, they could turn off our hits easily,” Sigit said.

At that time Sigit started to realise that there’s something wrong with their play in the court. In the third set when the score was 10-14 for the Danish’s advantage, he pumped his mettle to chase the opponent until they were able to reach 13-14. However, the mistake they did had cleared the way for the Danish to win the title of world champions. Sigit confessed that he was injured when he fell down in the third set. “I don’t want to be accused as looking for excuses. But soon after receiving the medal, I could hardly walk,” Sigit revealed.

In such condition he received the official tidings from his coach about his split with Candra.

Sigit was even more disappointed when he knew he was registered to the Singapore and Indonesia Open with no one listed as his partner. Meanwhile, Candra Wijaya has easily got Halim Heryanto, who hasn’t got any partner yet since Tony Gunawan left to the US, as his partner. “Playing doubles is not that easy. We can’t set partners for doubles just like that because we also have to know our partner’s characters,” Sigit commented sorely.

Sigit refused the rumour about his laziness to practice in PBSI. “I only know badminton in my life, how can I be lazy about it? If people said so, from what perspective do you see it considering that different people have different characters?” Sigit argued.

He only hopes that PBSI will be more overt on this issue. He refers to any issue in general, including those about the player’s earnings or about treating different players differently.

Born in Yogyakarta, 24 Nov 1975, he’s one good badminton player with the most complete strokes Indonesia has. He often plays acrobatically by receiving the shuttle through his back or between his legs. Indeed, his impulsive emotion often upsets his partner. Sigit was also once punished for drugs.

Sigit confessed that he will not play in the Singapore Open, which will be commenced in August 19. Regarding the Indonesia Open, he said that he still can see a chance for this problem to be solved. “Say it that I’m injured, but I will not retire as a player. My only target at the moment is to play in the Athena’s Olympic 2004,” he said.

9. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Briefly, yes, it's confirmed that Candra/Sigit are split by the personal request of Candra. Yet, there's no further confirmation on why Candra wanted it to be so.

Candra will play with Halim in coming tournaments while Sigit has his name registered in the coming Singapore and Indonesia Open without no one listed as his partner!

10. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    It is very funny, and I don't understand:confused:
    After Sigit back from his punishment, Candra asked PBSI to joint him to Sigit, because Candra fond that played with Sigit was the best for him and especially they were best friend.
    And now Candra will "divorce" from Sigit.... :confused: :confused:

Sigit talked about earnings (money) and about the differences of treating (racism, in Indonesian).
    Wauuu.. :eek: It can be blow up.
    At the end of the story, maybe it will trigger Sigit to move to abroad, like the others.

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    All i can say is that i hope he comes to england. However i dont believe he will move as he says his wish is to play in the olympics, at which point he wouldnt be able to play withany other nationalteam for x number of years. Personally i hope he stays and brings a young member of the indonesian team and with a drive and determination brought from the heartache of this split, plays like his talent shows he can and prove candra wrong.

I think he is one of the most talented players I have ever seen, talent being something that cannot be coached. the speed of his reactions he has to have his racket by his side then create a defense into an attack is unbelievable, his speed and anticipation atthe net is second to none. I hope he finds a partner who he "clicks with, although he may have to play harder and more concentrated than ever, due to having a weaker partner, that can only be good, for us the viewer. as said before i would love him to play to his full potential and win the olympics.

Maybe candra, who's oncourt demeaner appears calm cool and calculated got upset with the flambouyance and on off nature of his game, despite enjoying a sucessful partnership before, candra will be ok, he has had different partners and come up with the goods before and i am confident he will again. halim, i feel sorry for him as he has had a stop start carreer, the two have a similar, unflappable nature on the court,which i believ could be very successful, good luck to everyone.

12. jhl

jhl Regular Member

I thought I read a report recently by a Singapore journalist that Candra and Sigit had a quarrel after losing the world final and they would split.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But what I heard was, Sigit was told about the "news" (or, a secret plan?) before the final even started... :rolleyes:

14. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Yes, they quarrelled after the champ was over, but about they're being split it was decided before the final (so the Sing's news is partly right).

In the 'secret meeting' between Candra, Sigit, Hadianto, and the coach in the hotel where they stayed at that time, Candra was reported as bursting out towards Sigit because he couldn't stand Sigit's way of missing a lot of practices. Sigit also couldn't stand his feeling as being treated unfairly.

I'll give you guys the news later on.

15. protomedea

protomedea New Member

Can you elaborate more on sigit's feeling about being treated unfairly? Unfair in what way? Feels discriminated?

16. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    basically sigit feels unfairly treated by not being informed about the decision from the first time. Instead, he knew it first from the rumours in the mass media.

Sigit said:

"If PBSI has a plan, it's meant to be discussed with those involved, in this case is myself. But it's not. I'm just suddenly not partnered to Candra anymore ...... They also have to 'play' fairly because this is all about sport!"

"If they already plan to separate Candra and I, they supposedly plan with whom I will play then. But it's not! Instead, they told me to find my own partner!"

(Adapted from bolanews.com)

Therefore, Sigit feels that he's being treated unfairly because he's not being informed from the first time (PBSI took him for granted) and they also didn't prepare the plan well that they left Sigit without partner. I think it's not gonna be this bad if they already set who's gonna play with Sigit afterwards, although of course they should inform him from the first time.

I read the news about the secret meeting btw the four people after the WC was over, but i cant recall where I read it. Hopefully I can find it and send the news 2u.

however, I have a feeling that PBSI might not want to disturb Sigit's concentration on the WC' matches. That's why they decided to keep silent until the champ over. But somehow, the news was spreaded out before it was meant to be spreaded.

#36 sayakeren, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  17. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Sorry a bit late.... but yes, I absolutely agree. Halim is always getting screwed by the decision of others.