Candra hopes to end illustrious career on a winning note

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by ants, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    April 29th
    TheStar

DOUBLES star Candra Wijaya will end a 13-year career with the Indonesian national team after the Thomas Cup Finals.

And he wants to make his exit with a bang in Japan. The Finals will be the last tournament for the 30-year-old Candra in a world-beating partnership with Sigit Budiarto.

The Finals began yesterday with the preliminary rounds at the Sendai Gymnasium but Indonesia will only open their campaign in Group B against New Zealand today.

Candra's decision to quit will see Sigit forging a partnership with Flandi Limpele in all international tournaments after the Finals.

Candra said yesterday that he has had enough of playing for the country.

“It's time for me to leave the PBSI (All-Indonesia Badminton Association). It has been really a long time for me and the association must blood young pairs,” said Candra, who joined the national team when he was 17.

“I will go back to my club, Jayaraya, in Jakarta. I will continue playing and may participate in the Malaysian Open with a new partner. Badminton is in my blood and it is my greatest hobby. I will be competitive for a long time .. but for my club.”

He added that he was also interested to take up coaching.

“Nothing has been decided yet. I want to become a coach. But I have not decided on whether it is with Indonesia or another country. But my heart is with Indonesia,” said Candra.

Candra made his debut in the Thomas Cup Finals in 1998 as the second ranked pair for Indonesia, partnering Sigit. It turned out to be a successful debut in Hong Kong. The pair defeated Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah to provide the winning point in Indonesia's 3-1 win over Malaysia in the final.

“That was one of the magical moments for me. It was my first Finals and we helped Indonesia win the Cup. There were other historic moments too and I will always thank God for all those great times,” he said.

Candra also reached the World Championships final three times and won it once with Sigit in 1997 in Glasgow. He is also an Olympic champion with Tony Gunawan in the 2000 Games in Sydney.

“I have played with several partners over the last 13 years but have been prominent with Sigit and Tony,” he said.

He had also won more than 30 Open tournaments but never an Asian Games individual gold medal.

“I was a member of the team who won the gold in Bangkok in 1998 but I was never lucky in the individual event,” said Candra.

“The Asiad will be held in Doha at the end of the year. But no, I am not staying until then. It does not matter if I do not add an Asian Games gold medal to my collection. I have enough other winners' medals to show.”

On his final fling in the Thomas Cup Finals, Candra said: “It will be my last outing with Sigit. I can only promise to give my heart and soul to help Indonesia regain the Cup.”

Indonesia last won the Cup in Guangzhou in 2002. They were eliminated by Denmark in the semi-finals when they hosted the championships in Jakarta in 2004.

2. Cangkir

Cangkir Regular Member

I am moved by this article.
    For Candra, I have a deep emotion. Seeing him slipping from the top stage, I'm feeling my heart aching. With boundless enthusiam, he has devoted his brightest time to badminton. He has gained nearly everything. He has caught all his fans' heart. He is worth it, and even worth more than it. At least, he is worth a title in championship 2005 with Sigit. If only it were true, I think it would be no pity or regret in his life and a best result for me his fans. But life is life, there is no perfection forever. We just have to try our best. That's enough. I think, for Candra, he is really satisfied with his career life.
    He will not end up playing. I'm very happy. This is Candra I definitly appreciate. His spirit, his way to be a man, his attitude towards badminton and family, is actually the reason that he attracts me.
    Maybe Candra is making a balance between his hobby and family. So he decides to quit. Then he will have more time to be with his family. Anyway, he will be always here in our hearts! Wish him a good journey!

3. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Really sad to see him go. He's definitely one of my favourite doubles player.
    Hope he can get some great results in this TC competition.

Imagine he would go to the USA.
    Candra-Tony-Halim-Bach for the 2008 TC.
    Two great doubles pair. Import a singles player and USA will be competitive enough. :D

Nah it's not likely to happen.