Candra and Sigit

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Chesire Cat, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    They are the best after the great Ricky and Ricky. Solid defence and ultimate attack made them the one of the best pairs. Now they are older and they arent as fantastic as in the past. Sigit doesnt jump as high now and Candra seems to tire quicker

2. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor

Say Chesire, do you have interesting info about those 2 young talents Markis Kidho and Hendra Setiawan? They've made it to the quarter finals in one of the tournaments this year. Are they about to break through?

3. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I'm also interested. Are they going to take over after the old guns retire ? Or are there other pairs which could take the helm ?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You mean Ricky and Rexy? :rolleyes:

5. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry for the mistake. But I am really curious about the Markhis and Hendra pairing. I mean during the Malaysia Open, they managed to beat Cai and Fu. And now they got to the Denmark Open final.

6. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Actually Markis Kidho (22) and Hendra Setiawan (20) has already paired for some years. They are still young.

They are joined by Christian.

Just because of Ina has 3 pairs (Alven/Luluk, Hian/Limpele, Candra/Sigit or Candra/Halim or Sigit/Tri) -and 4 pair in the last year- in the world top, so the young pairs have little chance to be sent to International tournaments. And also PBSI has no budget to send more players.

Beside Markis/Hendra, there are also 2 young pairs :
    Hendra Gunawan (22) and Joko Riyadi (19)
    Uki Kasah Yoga (20) and Rian Sukmawan (19)

PBSI has considered that these pairs are the future of Ina men doubles.
    With Alven(24)/Luluk(25), -PBSI hopes- they will be in the top 10 in the short term.
    The target of these pairs, plus Alve/Luluk (and Candra/Sigit, if they can perform good) is WC 2005 in USA.

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    First official outing reunited?

Does anyone know which will be their first official tournament after being reunited?
    Will they be entering the Asian Opens at the end of the year?

They will certainly need points to climb up the world rankings again and qualify for the world champs!

8. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    Thanks for the info jkusmanto. Most interesting. I'm afraid that Alven/Luluk are already a bit too old to reach the absolute top. As I remember, Sigit/Candra/Tony were in their early 20s when they won their first major tournaments. I've seen Alven/Luluk in the Swiss Open final this year on video and they were outclassed by Fu/Cai. They don't appear to have the right stuff, unfortunately. I'm putting my hopes on Markis/Hendra.

9. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    Markis/Hendra

Markis/Hendra is indeed a junior pair and like jkusmanto said they didn't have much chance to play in international tournament due to lack of funds..what a pity cos everyone thinks they're good players and will replace their seniors someday. Like in Denmark Open, they lost because they never played against European players before so they didn't any experience at all

About whether they'll be playing for Asian tournaments or not, we don't know yet because PBSI always decide in short time (check the withdrawal of the shuttlers from the denmark open tournament) so we don'tk now yet but they will take part at the Indonesia Open for sure since we don't have to spend much money for joining the tournament.

PS; story on candra-sigit participating at china open tournament is coming!!!

10. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Please post the article ASAP, even before the newspaper publishes them LOL.

Anyway is there any news from Trikus and Halim ? I am really interested in finding out about them.

11. Chesire Cat

Candra, Sigit renew partnership [font=Arial, Helvetica]

Eva C. Komandjaja, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Candra Wijaya and Sigit Budiarto will renew their partnership as a doubles pair in the China Open badminton tournament in Guangzhou in November.

The two players, whose previous partnership earned them the world championship title in 1997, split last year and had new partnerships -- Candra with Halim Haryanto, and Sigit with Tri Kusharjanto -- before the Badmitton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) decided to reunite them last month.

Men's doubles coach Christian Hadinata said he was keen on testing their renewed partnership at the US$250,000 China Open which is scheduled to take place from Nov. 9 to Nov. 14.

"We want to test this partnership at the tournament. Most top shuttlers will participate in the event," Christian told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.

However, Christian refused to disclose specific goals for the pair, saying that although they had a good partnership in the past they have been training together for less than a month for the event.

"We will wait for the outcome at the tournament first, then we can make plans for them. They don't have any international ranking yet," he said.

Candra and Sigit were initially paired in early 1997. They won the World Championship in Glasgow six months later before they were forced to split in 1998 after Sigit was banned from international tournaments after failing a drug test.

Candra proved he was a reliable partner when he won the gold at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 with Tony Gunawan.

As Tony chose to move to United States, Candra and Sigit were back together in 2001 before parting again after their unsuccessful bid at the 2003 World Championship in Birmingham, England.

They hope the third time around will give them another striking run in the 2005 World Championship which is to be held in Anaheim, California.

According to Christian, both players have been doing well during the training sessions and that, being familiar with each other, they do not have any trouble in adapting to each other's techniques.

Interviewed separately, Candra, who won the Copenhagen Master with Halim at the end of last year, said that what they had to do was work out how to reignite their motivation and fighting spirit.

"I hope that Sigit will be more motivated in our first tournament in the China Open," Candra said, adding that he was very optimistic about their prospects in Guangzhou.

It will be a tough test as their opponents are Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng, Sang Yang/Zheng Bo, Choong Tan Fuk/Lee Wan Wah of Malaysia and current world champions, Jonas Rasmussen/Lars Paaske of Denmark. "Hopefully, we can at least get into the semifinals," Candra said.
    [/font]

12. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    It should be Choong Tan Fook -- Fook90

13. Chesire Cat

OOPS ur right...sorry for the spelling mistake

14. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Just want to make a correction.
    Markis Kidho and Hendra Setiawan are both 20 years old in August.

Sorry about the mistake.

15. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Head-to-heads with Candra/Sigit : I hope I didn't miss out any other pairs :)

Lee and Choong -----> 7-0 :eek:
    Chan and Chew -----> 4-1
    JR/LP -----> 2-1
    Eriksen/Lundgaard -----> 2-0
    Robertson and Clark -----> 3-1
    LDS/YYS -----> 6-3
    KDM/HTK -----> 2-3

It's quite astonishing to see such results. Lee and Choong despite on the same stage, couldn't even win them once. Only Kim and Ha managed to be on par with them. I really wonder whether if they could maintain such standards now. Anyway Good Luck to them !!! :D

16. Chesire Cat

sigit?

hey

i just heard that sigit went back to his old habit of not showing up during training. he's known for his indiscipline act and often get lazy during training. too bad..let's hope he'll realize how important it is to train hard in order to win in international tournament.

PS :I hope I can get a list of Indonesian shuttlers competing in CHina Open tomorrow

17. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Damn ! He seems so disinterested. I wonder what other better stuffs he had got to do with :confused: I mean players who under-performed at the Olympics want to try their best again. For instance, Candra didn't even got a chance to enter the Olympics but he wasn't demoralized and worked harder.

Quote form Chesire Cat's Report

The fire-and-ice combination of the two shuttlers -- technically and psychologically -- has created a communications gap between them. Candra is known as a disciplined shuttler, while Sigit considers that his great talent allows him to train as he likes.
    As they prepare to reunite, Candra says he has no sour feelings toward Sigit over their separation. "I want to show the world that there are no hard feelings -- we're willing to be partners again," he said.

I am starting to doubt their ability already. :(

#37 Fook90, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Well, Sigit is of great ability but it's not complemented by commitment and effort. I wonder why is that such 'geniuses' would always have some side such as laziness to pull them down. It would have made them simply awesome.

The athlete I know who combines both to mythical effect is Michael Jordan. Kim Dong Moon is no way far from it too.

19. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

As they prepare to reunite, Candra says he has no sour feelings toward Sigit over their separation. "I want to show the world that there are no hard feelings -- we're willing to be partners again," he said.

I am starting to doubt their ability already. :([/QUOTE]

I just re-watched their final match against JR and Paaske at the World Championships 2003, and their semi-final against Fu/Cai. Sigit was getting seriously pis*ed off at Candra, and wasn't hiding it. It's so bad for the pair when one partner starts blaming the other for every error. I could see why Candra would have bad feelings if Sigit blamed him for the loss.

20. *~Taufik~*

*~Taufik~* Regular Member

(didn't wanna start a new thread... so decided to post it here..)

i heard that candra is susilo's brother-in-law.. is this true? pardon me for being outdated if this is already a widely-known fact... thanks!