Calibrating Wise 2086 wise tension head

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by tjiew, Apr 8, 2021.

1. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Hi all,

For those who are using Wise 2086 tension head, I would like to ask if you happened to perform calibration on your wise 206 tension head? At which tension have you guys performed calibration?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    I got this once a long time ago:
    This unit is self-calibrating. In the factory, scientific equipment is used to set the calibration before the unit is shipped. In the event you feel calibration is necessary this can be done without returning the machine. But unless you have extremely accurate calibrating equipment, it is notrecommended that you perform this function. A spring calibrator is not considered accurate enough to calibrate the 2086 Pro and you will misalign the machine using just this as a measuring tool.

Calibration should be performed at 70 – 85 pounds.

1. Using string, start a pull as normal, when the unit has reached the set tension press the Pause button.

2. Press the Test key. The display will flash 111 to confirm you are in the Calibration mode.

3. Use the Up/Down keys to make the display match the precision calibrator you have mounted between the gripper and the racket.

4. To save the new calibration value press Test once again. You now have 9 seconds (as counted down on the display) to press the Speed key, then the Pound key. The display will flash 999 momentarily to indicate the new calibration data is saved.

5. At any time when in the Calibration mode, pressing the count key will return all factory settings. Or, pressing the dimpled (start) key or foot switch before saving the data will discard the new value and return to the previous setting.

3. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Yes, I have read this guidelines before. The reason why I want to perform calibration because when the actual tension is off 1 lbs from tension set. For ex, I set 25 lbs when I measure it the reading is showing 24lbs. I am thinking to perform calibration at 20lbs and 25lbs since I mostly string badminton racket. So any one of you ever performed the calibration on your wise tension head by not following the recommended calibration in the guideline ?

4. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Uh, I think the better option is to calibrate it with higher tensions.
    Long time ago that I calibrate a Wise, but as far as I can remember, I tried to calibrate it with lower tensions. Because my machine was a Pros Pro Pioneer with crappy clamps and nothing holds tensions with 70 lbs. After calibration the head was still off a few at some tensions. Later I calibrated it again at higher tension with holding the calibrator at the main support and the result after it was much better.
    But this was years ago... Maybe the software/hardware changed and you can calibrate it with lower tensions too.

Super85 and yenyesoh like this.
  5. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    My 2086's version is version 12. How about yours?

6. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    12 sounds familiar to me. But not sure. I sold mine ~9 years ago...

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What do you measure when you set it to higher tensions like 50-70 lbs.? Is it still off by 1 lb?
    The 70-85 lbs. for calibration is the manufacturer's recommendation so I guess they have a reason why they do suggest that. Although I don't see a major problem if you do it on lower tensions and see what happens. If it's accurate afterwards, then job done. If not... then repeat the process with a higher tension.

And don't bother with the version. They made a significant update in the mechanics with V14 in ~2019 (I think...), the versions before were pretty much the same in the machincal construction so the calibration process should be the same.

8. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I have not try it at high tension such 50-70 lbs. So far I have tried at 25-27lbs using scrap badminton string and it's always off from 0.7lbs to 1 lbs.

9. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    I had the best experience with cheap Tennis multifilament strings. Overstretching before calibrating this strings is important.

This is my setup:
    IMG_8292.jpg

With that, you can go to 90 lbs without problems.

Where do you fixing the other end? On the main support or with a string in a clamp?

10. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I am using normal WeiHeng portable electronic scale instead of 2090 precision. I fixed it on the main support.

kakinami likes this.
  11. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Should be also good, if the scale is accurate :)

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Calibrate it at the highest tension you intend to use.

I did mine when I got it because it was an ex-demo, but it wasn't far enough out to make much difference; I think I reduced it by a couple of tenths, and I used string that had been pre-stretched to buggery with absolutely no slack left in it.

13. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    An update from me. I calibrated my wise at 15 lbs and 20 lbs this afternoon. After the calibration, I set 3 tensions (15, 20 & 25lbs) and the reading showed 0.3 - 0.4 lbs off from the set tensions. I guess it's pretty acceptable for me.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Most machines only resolve to 0.5 lb.

15. paul27

paul27 Regular Member

Anyone knows how to calibrate Wise series-14?
    I tried the instructions above, but once the tension is reached, pressing on "test" does nothing.