BWF World Championships 2011 - A "Rioting" Odyssey

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by abedeng, Aug 11, 2011.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Match of the New Millenium

Finally, it is time to showcase pics from the Match of the New Millenium. The results of which have been discussed in depth in many other threads here, with the typical BC nationalistic flavours of disagreement and bias ..... wakakakakaka. :p Kwun and the Moderator Gang must be working overtime right now. Thank God I am not a moderator.

As for me, this was a simple matter of both players giving their all. Of which, to be a champion, There Could Only Be One.

Congratulations to Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei for giving us badminton fans (especially those in the Wembley Arena) so many heart-stopping moments. A match I am not likely to forget.

Pics:
    MSF1.jpg MSF2.jpg
    A battle between the best two gladiators in the World by a country mile

MSFCoach1.jpg MSFCoach2.jpg
    As well as between the two factions of coaches

LCWClear1.jpg LCWClear2.jpg LCWClear3.jpg LCWClear4.jpg LCWClear5.jpg
    LCW makes a clear at the net

LDSmash1.jpg LDSmash2.jpg LDSmash3.jpg LDSmash4.jpg LDSmash5.jpg LDSmash6.jpg LDSmash7.jpg LDSmash8.jpg
    LD smashes, and LCW blocks to the net

IntervalLD.jpg IntervalLCW.jpg
    Halftime interval - time to consult the coach

LDBlock1.jpg LDBlock2.jpg LDBlock3.jpg LDBlock4.jpg
    LD blocks another attack

OK guys. That's it, as far as Finals action pictures are concerned.

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Pictures of the Environment

Here are some more pictures of the Wembley area. Just in case you guys need to visit next year at the Olympics.

But be prepared to pay steep prices. Badminton Event tickets are at least GBP90 per session - and one session could be as little as 3 matches. Even my IBIS hotel (under GBP50 per nite during my stay including Internet+Movie Package) would skyrocket up to GBP146 per nite during the Olympics.

Pics:
    IBIS1.jpg
    You remember my IBIS Hotel, don't you?

Gandhi1.jpg Gandhi2.jpg
    Just beside the IBIS, there is a building called Mahatma Gandhi House. Whether the great man ever lived here is a moot point.

Landmark.jpg
    As you walk uphill from Mahatma Gandhi House, you will see this building to your left. The alley to Wembley Arena is to your right (which is where I'm taking this picture from). The walk is only a few hundred metres, easily only 10 minutes.

Wembley Stadium.jpg
    If in doubt, consult the Wembley Stadium - too big for you to miss.

Water2.jpg Water1.jpg
    Just in front of the Arena (facing Wembley Stadium), there is a water sprout without fountain

Poster.jpg
    The Wembley Arena would have posters like this, fixed to its side. From the main road, the Arena is hidden now due to construction of the new Hilton Hotel and Apartments.

So, for those going for the Olympics Badminton Event, Prepare Yourselves!

#42 abedeng, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [​IMG]

i always wonder if the organizers expects the players to open and spray the champagne at the podium, ala Formula-1 style celebration? the players didn't seem to know what to do with that huge bottle.

4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Think it was after 8ish, we finish at 8.

5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I guess you wern't there the first couple of days, day one we took in 430 rackets. Pretty much non stop stringing the first 3 days (Sun, Mon, Tues) once we were all caught up, not much to do. Fri, Sat Sun not much came in. Actually 6 ES5 Pros and 1 ES5 Protech if you looked a little closer. Sun-Wed 7 Stringers, Thurs-Fri 5 Stringers, Sat 4 Stringers Sun 2 stringers and I was one of 2. 731+ rackets, kinda hard to slack off.

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

If you want to learn from a Master learn from Master Mark, think he charges 100 pounds.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Kinda funny though, only pic you posted was the one where I was stringing by myself. Sure shows how much I slack off. I was there by myself, you could have asked questions then.....

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Souvenirs and Paraphenalia .....

Although organization wise, this event is much better run than the previous World Championships in Paris, I must say that the number and quality of BWF World Championship souvenirs made available in this tournament is of, err, lower quality. Well, except the keychain, I think .......

But on the upside, the prices of these souvenirs were much cheaper too .....

Pics here:

BWF Shirts.jpg
    The customary tournament souvenir shirts - overweight guys look good in black

BWF Backpack.jpg
    Souvenir Backpack, it comes with ........

BWF Canteen.jpg BWF Keychain.jpg
    .... this water bottle and the keychain for "only" GBP10

Had to travel to Paddington one fine day to the London 2012 Shop to get myself more souvenirs .... quality wise was much better too, for quite a lot more money.

This is what I procured to, ahem, fund the next Olympics .....

London2012 Mascot.jpg
    The London 2012 Summer Olympics Mascot, Wenlock, in UK flag livery.

London2012 Bag.jpg
    London 2012 Handbag, very handy to fill with, err, more souvenirs

London2012 Cap.jpg
    White London 2012 Cap

London2012 Bus.jpg
    And of course, the iconic double decker Routemaster bus I used to ride to school circa 40 years ago.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..wow, you're lucky the "umpire" didn't confiscate your camera away!!..

Anyway, all good for the recap...and we'll plan a better BC gathering ala London style at next yr's Olympics..:cool:

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Lucky, my foot!! That guy only wanted to show off his power, but he wouldn't dare to get within five feet of me ....... He should know, a shouting match with me will get him nowhere. I am "Lin Dan" when it comes to arguing.

My "neighbours" were very amused with the show.

It took his superior to pacify the situation, while gently explaining to me in typical
    World Class English courtesy to put my camera away. Great customer service!!!

#50 abedeng, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wow, didn't know that you're that young!

I like the white bag, quite handy for my Canon camera.

On a side note, somehow much of the spectator excitement has been spoilt by the dim lights at the galleries! Yes the TV pics of the players in action were great, but one could hardly see the fans and the spectators, unless they were on spotlight. You could hear them shout, etc, but it was like noises from the invisible.

Compared to what we are used to seeing in this part of the world, especially in Indonesia and Malaysia, Wembley was a great disappointment!

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, I wouldn't go that far when it comes to the lighting. We at the Arena have excellent contrast between the action area and the non-action area. Even our "illegal" camera pictures are of better quality.

Besides, it makes it harder for those watching on TV to spot you, unlike in 2008 Thomas/Uber Cup in Jakarta .....:p

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Compared to you, everybody else is young ....... wakakakaka.

Aiyyaa ... should have told me earlier about the bag, I would have bought one for you. But hey, you could order online.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hey bro, not easy to earn "uncle" rank okay in this forum although you've been "promoted" as well. :D

Regarding bag, just saw it by which time you've already touched down.

#54 Loh, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    abedeng, I salute you. You should be accorded the title of "Badminton No. 1 Fan". I wish I could be like you traveling round the world watching badminton tournaments!

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, the guys who established BC, Badzine and other Badminton-specific websites are bigger fans than me. It is a lot of effort to set up a forum and then moderate all the flaming posts :p every day, you know .... :D Probably because of that, they are not as free to be widely travelled (except Raphy).

But it is time for younger BC members to do all the travelling, watching and reporting. Quite a number of us attend tournaments (at least the ones local to their area), but most rarely ever report back to BC. This sharing should be encouraged.

There are lots of things you don't see on TV worth reporting. All the outpouring of emotions is only seen in between rallies while the TV replays are running. Like how Zhao Yunlei almost always gets in trouble with the umpire ...... wakakakaka. Really amusing stuff, especially when she got yelled at during the All-England in March.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Those water bottles are specially prepared for both of them? No food just drinks only?:D
    [​IMG]

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Abedeng, where's the return flight picture?;)

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Aiyoh, must ask properly lah ... say "uncle" ....please... :p

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Why, you wanted more, is it? Well, I got news for you. Unlike pics of the legendary Djarum Girls, the pics of the equally well-endowed female flight crew is the domain of a particular Emirates Skywards Gold Member only ..... :p

But I could share with you this, the Emirates A380 flies daily to KLIA from 1 December 2011 onwards ..... so I may have to give my typical "Changi Shopping Runs" a miss. KLIA is the second airport in South East Asia to receive the Emirates giant after Suvarnabhumi Bangkok.

Here are pics from Heathrow, of the various guises of the giant bird.

EmiratesA380Heathrow.jpg
    Emirates A380 docked at Heathrow - my flight home

QantasA380Heathrow.jpg SIAA380Heathrow.jpg
    Flanked by these two equally massive A380s, from Qantas and Singapore Airlines

EmiratesLoungeHeathrow.jpg
    The Heathrow T3 Emirates Lounge

EmiratesA380DXB.jpg
    Here's another pic of the A380, upon landing at Dubai. I took this from my Singapore-bound B777, which happens to be just beside it, what a coincidence .....

Lucky it's not "great uncle" level yet huh ...... wakakakaka :D

#60 abedeng, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011